Supporting Rear Bike Mount - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #1

British Columbia
Supporting Rear Bike Mount

I have a 2012 Kodiak 177QBSL and I need to repair a failed bike mount. This model does not have a rear bumper, but has a trim plate that tubing mount was welded to. This 3/16" thick plate plate wraps around the C channel frame at the side and held in place by two bolts (see attached). In the middle of this plate across the rear is 4 additional bolts. (see attached)

I cannot see it the bolts thread into tapped holes on the frame or secured by nuts as the underside of the trailer is insulated and sealed. If there are nuts in behind would they be welded to the structure prior to enclosing the bottom. If I was to remove the these bolts would I need to removing the sealed bottom to get at the nuts if that is what's there.

I would like to replace the thin trim and replace it with a much sturdier option.

Anyone had experience with this style rear cover?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200610_170202[1].jpg
Views:	261
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	6322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200610_170156[1].jpg
Views:	246
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	6323  

bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Alabama
You would just need to remove the stabilizer jack and remove the underbelly. Once you pull the underbelly back you will see what you need to see. It may seem like a lot but it really isn't. When you go to out the underbelly back on get some self tapping tek screws and fender washers.

Or... you could just get a receiver for the front of your truck and put them out front.

Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
You would just need to remove the stabilizer jack and remove the underbelly. Once you pull the underbelly back you will see what you need to see. It may seem like a lot but it really isn't. When you go to out the underbelly back on get some self tapping tek screws and fender washers.

Or... you could just get a receiver for the front of your truck and put them out front.
Do you know the purpose of the four bolts in the center of this plate that closes in the outside frame rails at the rear of the trailer. Is there maybe a rail system that goes down the center of the trailer?

This 3/16 thick plate across the back does not wrap under the trailer, this makes it very weak. I'm not sure the purpose of this plate.

There is something in behind this plate (covered by underbelly pan) and runs the full width of the trailer as the inward leg of the jack and the belly pan attaches to it. The outer mount of the stabilizer jack is mounted to the channel frame that runs from front to back.
bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote