Strapping surfboards on roof - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

Colorado
Strapping surfboards on roof

Looking for opinions and options. We travel full time and are heading up to Canada in a month. I have 3 surfboards that I need to haul but probably won’t use for a few months. Rather than put them on my truck I’d like to get them on the roof of the camper. I’m thinking of just getting 4 tiedown brackets like this
Sea-Dog Stainless Tie Down Eye Strap, 3/8" x 1-1/16"
To run a strap through at the bottom and bottom. I was thinking 1/2” wood screws would do the job then silicone seal it all. Their shouldn’t be much load on the brackets just holding the boards down?
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

Wyoming
Can't say that I've ever seen surfboards on top of a rig... but I did pass a guy a few months back that had their skis & snowboards secured to a couple of Yakima or Thule racks mounted on top of their 5th wheel near the back by the ladder. Seemed to work ok for them.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Looking for opinions and options. We travel full time and are heading up to Canada in a month. I have 3 surfboards that I need to haul but probably won’t use for a few months. Rather than put them on my truck I’d like to get them on the roof of the camper. I’m thinking of just getting 4 tiedown brackets like this
Sea-Dog Stainless Tie Down Eye Strap, 3/8" x 1-1/16"
To run a strap through at the bottom and bottom. I was thinking 1/2” wood screws would do the job then silicone seal it all. Their shouldn’t be much load on the brackets just holding the boards down?
What are your thoughts?

I'm not an engineer, but those look awfully SMALL! Just over 1" wide and 3/8th " tall? 1/2" screws? Seems to me those boards could pick up some air underneath and lift. Also, they could slide left/right and damage a rubber roof. I'd look for some roof protection, load dissipation, and something more beefy to cinch them down. Let's see what others think....
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

Colorado
Thanks for your thoughts. The link is just to show what style of tiedown I’m thinking of (my fault) I’d probably go a bit bigger. Actually, I didn’t consider the fact that they may move a little and rub against the roof possibly causing damage. Thanks for bringing it up. Installing a roof rack (cross bars) was a consideration but I thought it was a bit overkill for this and would add extra weight for nothing.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #5

Colorado
Yakima

Ok, in light of the comment on the boards rubbing the rubber membrane off the roof I'm looking at a different solution.
Possibly Yakima Landing Pads: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
I'm thinking I could trim the rubber roof where I mount each of the pads then glue and screw them down. Once dry I can silicone seal around each pad. From there I can mount the landing pads and cross bars. This gets it all off the roof and I think I'll still be below the AC unit when boards are stacked so not changing clearance going down the road.
I guess no ones done anything like this before? I'll be the guinea pig
Thanks again for any suggestions/input.
Randy
Old 06-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
I would NOT use silicone. I would use something designed for the RV roof like Dicor Self leveling. Other than that go for it! I would take into consideration the uplift and wind drag on the boards, it is going to be more than you would think. Ever stuck your hand out of the car window at 65 mph?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 AM   #7

Colorado
Ordering Parts!

Alright, ordering parts in the next week or so. I'll post pic's of the install and final result.
Thanks for the input.
Randy