Road Armor Suspension Upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #1

Montana
Road Armor Suspension Upgrade

I've got a relatively small 28 foot Aspen Trail 2340 and upgraded the suspension with a Road Armor system. Overkill? I travel national forest (dirt) roads quite a bit up here in Montana to get to the hidden gem campgrounds and just wanted to make sure I had a bit of a cushion over the OEM suspension.

Looks good now we will see. I had a single axle for three years and did these roads quite a bit but wanted more capability and minimize "chucking" on the dirt roads. You will get dust on stuff inside so get over it, but maybe less of a mess from bouncing around is my hope and no catastrophic suspension failures...

I'll give an update at the end of the season.

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:51 PM   #2

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
I've got a relatively small 28 foot Aspen Trail 2340 and upgraded the suspension with a Road Armor system. Overkill? I travel national forest (dirt) roads quite a bit up here in Montana to get to the hidden gem campgrounds and just wanted to make sure I had a bit of a cushion over the OEM suspension.

Looks good now we will see. I had a single axle for three years and did these roads quite a bit but wanted more capability and minimize "chucking" on the dirt roads. You will get dust on stuff inside so get over it, but maybe less of a mess from bouncing around is my hope and no catastrophic suspension failures...

Well, a couple seasons later... The suspension is worth it and does help a lot on national forest and county dirt roads. Probably the best place it helps noticable is on those mile long road construction projects with a pilot car over the horrible 'roads" before you hit pavement again, full of potholes... Also, on washboard dirt roads.

But all in all, likely the best upgrade has been to get rid of the China Bombs after two seasons and put Good Year Endurance on. The biggest improvement other than not exploding is the stiffer sidewalls. They noticeably stabilize the trailer as in no longer seeing the back corners of the trailer as a regular occurence...

In speaking to a few people, the CRE 3000 is roughly equivalent to the Road Armor. It appears to be about six of one and half dozen of the other colloquially speaking.

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post

What load balancing hitch do you use that you can run over dirt roads or do you use airbags instead?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote