Replace slideout stove with grill? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Replace slideout stove with grill?

I purchased a used 2011 215bkhs and love that it has a little slide out stove dealie but I would rather have a grill there. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is of these slideout dealies and if there is a way i can put a grill in rather than the stove? I dont have the unit from the dealer yet so i cant inspect it for a vendor name.

theniffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #2

Re: Replace slideout stove with grill?

I cannot answer your question but I thought of pulling the stove and installing the guts of my Coleman grille there until I realized it would be much easier to buy a portable standup BBQ. I also took off the regulator and added a second propane line to the outdoor gas fitting with appropriate quick connects. Now I have a grill and the stovetop burners and can use both at the same time, all off the trailer's twin 40-lb propane bottles!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Saskatchewan

I did the same thing as thejean. Picked up a Coleman Legacy Roadtrip grill. JC, what did you end up all having to get for fittings? I need to remove the regulator too from the grill so I can use the quick-connect line on the trailer.

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

Ended up with about $100 worth of fittings from Barbecues Galore (they bend you over on these specialty parts). Two quick connects, a hose and a bunch of little reducers and adapters to make it all work. I'll take a pic next time so you can see what I did.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #5

Oh yeah, and as a backup (if I have an issue with the gas lines), I still have the small Coleman tabletop grill and an extra hose to connect to the TT bottles if I forget to bring a small bottle with me. There is no way in heck I'll be going without my BBQ'd food!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejean
I cannot answer your question but I thought of pulling the stove and installing the guts of my Coleman grille there until I realized it would be much easier to buy a portable standup BBQ. I also took off the regulator and added a second propane line to the outdoor gas fitting with appropriate quick connects. Now I have a grill and the stovetop burners and can use both at the same time, all off the trailer's twin 40-lb propane bottles!
Good job man. You very smart guy.Let's see those pics. I have a stand up BBQ with 1 lb tanks but want to connect to the Quick connect on the Trailer.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

FYI,
I found out that Kodiak uses the Lippert Bumper mount for a grill. You can see it at Lippert Components site in their catalog.
Also the grill the dealer ordered for us, is a standard one you can find pretty much anywere for any RV.
You can also check at a local RV Surplus house. They will carry all of the flexible lines and fittings at a discounted price compared to Homedepot or the RV stores. As an example, the local RV surplus place has 25' of gas line with crimped and NPT threaded fittings on each end for $15.00 where as Homedepot wanted $50.00 or so for 10'
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Saskatchewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejean
Ended up with about $100 worth of fittings from Barbecues Galore (they bend you over on these specialty parts). Two quick connects, a hose and a bunch of little reducers and adapters to make it all work. I'll take a pic next time so you can see what I did.
Went down to the local LP business this afternoon with my Coleman Grill. They are making me a "T" connector (so I can use the grill and camper stove at the same time) along with a 8' hose and the necessary fittings. Estimate is $45 - $50. Should have it tomorrow so I'll post a picture then.

Dave.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Saskatchewan

Okay, got my hose setup for my grill from the local LP business and it doesn't work....

I had a "T" made so I could connect the Coleman Road Trip grill and still connect my Kodiak stove at the same time...

Problem #1 was that the male quick connect end from the LP business (on the "T") has a larger inside diameter than the male end on the Kodiak stove. The larger diameter did not press in the plunger to release the propane from the female quick connect on the trailer. So I went to my local RV dealer and got the right male end. Now it connects fine and releases the propane. (See the small blue tipped end in the picture).

Problem #2 is that the female quick connect end from the LP business (on the "T") does not work with the male end from the Kodiak stove. Now I have to get a new female end from the RV dearer and swap them out on the "T". (See the larger blue end in the picture).

Problem #3 is that the Coleman Grill has a special fitting on it with a regulator that connects the small propane bottles to the grill. The regulator on this fitting does not like the low pressure propane coming in from the quick connect (which already regulated on the 20# drums). The burners light, but just barely stay lit on HI. So now I have to get in touch with Coleman and see if they sell a connector without a regulator on it...

Long story short, I've invested $68 for the setup from the LP business and another $12 from the RV dealer and still don't have a working setup. And it will cost another $15 to get the right female end from the RV dealer... and unless Coleman carries the part I need I won't be spending another $15 for a part that I won't need...

Dave.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Saskatchewan

Okay, got my hose setup for my grill from the local LP business and it DOES work now....

I had a "T" made so I could connect the Coleman Road Trip grill and still connect my Kodiak stove at the same time...

Problem #1 above was solved by going to my local RV dealer and getting the right male end. Now it connects fine and releases the propane. (See the small blue tipped end in the picture).

Problem #2 above was solved by going to my local RV dealer and getting the right female end. Now it connects fine and releases the propane. (See the larger blue end in the picture).

Problem #3 above was solved by removing the brass coupler from the Roadtrip Regulator Assembly and attaching it to the hose with an elbow and some standard fittings.

Long story short, I now have a working setup. Coffee, eggs and bacon anyone?

Dave.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Look's great Dave . I like the write up & it helps with the pic's.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #12

British Columbia

Nice job Dave...the propane hose set up for my grill and out side stove is my next project....just like your set up....hope u don't mind a Canuck stealing your set up...when I see u I'll pay u a toonie royalty.

Thanks bud

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #13

Saskatchewan

Steal away Coops! I'm having another hose made up for a friend. This time I'll get the part numbers/descriptions to make your job easier...

Dave.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #14

I had to take the regulatory off the grill I bought and feed the grill with direct LP propane. Works great (except in heavy winds)!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #15

British Columbia

You need sway control on your grill with those heavy winds,,,,

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #16

LOL