Pam's CTS16FB mods - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2017, 03:11 AM   #1

Ohio
Pam's CTS16FB mods

Prior to this weekend I accomplished...

1) Changed out the shower curtain for a cloth material shower curtain. Hangs nicer and feels better in the skin than the plastic!

2) Added 3" foam mattress topper. Wow! The foam topper on the plywood is nice than the original mattress! (yes, the original mattress is still there)

3) Added power jack. This was a Christmas gift from the husband. Was going to wait a while before "splurging" on this. Glad I didn't have to wait!

Now, this weekend was busy.

Pulled it to my driveway so I'd have all weekend with tools and power and kitchen close at hand.

4) Changed out the shower head to an Oxygenics Fury RV. SO MUCH better than stock!

5) Hung hooks beside bed for robes. (picture would be nice, I'll get one next time).

6) The big project was putting a generator shelf on the back. I mounted to the bumper so keeping weight, bounce and moment arm (twisting force) all to a minimum was of utmost importance.

I have a 2k watt inverter generator that weighs 45# dry (but only holds 1 gallon of gas). Even though it's "light", I didn't want to carry it in and out of the trailer every trip.

I started with a pair of Mount-N-Lock bracket arms. I like that the weight on the bumper is divided between two mounting points instead of being concentrated in one spot.
4SQUAREâ„¢ RV Bumper-Mounted Cargo Box Support Arms

I mounted a high quality plastic shelf (weight rating at 1,000#, yes, this rating was just shelf, the full unit rating was higher) to the arms with stainless steel nuts, bolts and large washers.

I mounted the generator on a rubber pad on the shelf and strapped it down. The strap is a 1,000# ratchet strap and encompasses the generator, shelf and bumper. I also put a cable lock around the generator and bumper.

To provide weather protection and "out of sight, out of mind" theft protection I covered it with a high grade plastic tote. This is also strapped through and around with 1,000# ratchet straps.

In case the weather is poor and I want to run the generator I installed a vent in the side of the tote for exhaust (and cut one of the holes in the the shelf a bit larger for fresh air intake). Ran it covered for about 30 minutes. Seemed to perform perfectly.

The bracket arms are about 8#. The shelf is a couple of pounds (much lighter than the standard shelf install). The back feet of the generator are almost mounted on the bumper itself (further reducing the possible moment force).

My husband followed me when I took it back to storage tonight and said it was solid. No bouncing whatsoever!

Oh, and sidenote. I backed the trailer into my one car width driveway...by myself! And again at the storage unit, back it in between both trailer neighbors! Go me!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 05-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Nice job!

As a general rule it isn't recommend to add things to the rear of the trailer, but I think in you case it will work out fine, not to mention that the Coleman 16FBS is a bit tongue heavy to begin with. I would also heavy cable lock around the generator and the bumper. It won't keep a determined thief, but it will slow down the casual one.

Sounds like your backing skills are getting better

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Nice job!

As a general rule it isn't recommend to add things to the rear of the trailer, but I think in you case it will work out fine, not to mention that the Coleman 16FBS is a bit tongue heavy to begin with. I would also heavy cable lock around the generator and the bumper. It won't keep a determined thief, but it will slow down the casual one.

Sounds like your backing skills are getting better

Aaron
I was definitely concerned about rear weight...I'm actually acutely aware of all weight added to my unit since I'm nearing up on capacity of my tow vehicle. Hence the "redneck" version of the cobbed together shelf instead of the pre-assembled aluminum unit available at any camping store or Walmart. The pre-assembled versions run about 35# or so. Mine runs about 10#. (Every pound counts, right?) I sure didn't save any money going my route!

I think the weight I added (52# in fluid filled generator and 10# in shelf) will hardly make a dent in the 227# of water added in the tank on the other side of the axle!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Ohio
Oh, and Aaron, I finally got a chance to run the A/C as well. It properly 'peed' outside instead of in my walls!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #5

California
I hope your hose storage tube is stronger than the one on my Coleman CTS15BH. I'm not even really all that comfortable with the spare tire mounted to that thin-wall box tube when traversing rougher access roads. Give a good tug rearward on your spare mount and watch it twist under what I consider a light load. Even the 'C' channel cross beam framing at the rear it connects too is pretty light weight IMO. I'm planning on welding up a folding style cargo carrier that attaches to a beefed up tubular cross beam and uses two Class II receivers. I'm a belts and suspenders sort of guy though
Kuhl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl951 View Post
I hope your hose storage tube is stronger than the one on my Coleman CTS15BH. I'm not even really all that comfortable with the spare tire mounted to that thin-wall box tube when traversing rougher access roads. Give a good tug rearward on your spare mount and watch it twist under what I consider a light load. Even the 'C' channel cross beam framing at the rear it connects too is pretty light weight IMO. I'm planning on welding up a folding style cargo carrier that attaches to a beefed up tubular cross beam and uses two Class II receivers. I'm a belts and suspenders sort of guy though
My husband sat on the shelf and it was actually nice and solid (trust you me I held my breath when he hopped aboard!).

I made sure to place both mounts (shelf and spare tire) as close to the bumper supports as possible. Had to keep an eye on the pesky brake lights! This proximity will restrict some of the twisting. I will definitely keep tabs on the welds.

Supposedly the bumper is good to 225#. Of course this is per the dealer service guy, so I wouldn't dream of loading it that high!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Oh, and Aaron, I finally got a chance to run the A/C as well. It properly 'peed' outside instead of in my walls! [emoji14] [emoji38]
Dang! Dutchmen got something right... For once![emoji3]

Aaron[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
My husband sat on the shelf and it was actually nice and solid (trust you me I held my breath when he hopped aboard!).

I made sure to place both mounts (shelf and spare tire) as close to the bumper supports as possible. Had to keep an eye on the pesky brake lights! This proximity will restrict some of the twisting. I will definitely keep tabs on the welds.

Supposedly the bumper is good to 225#. Of course this is per the dealer service guy, so I wouldn't dream of loading it that high!

Good to hear your bumper is that strong, my 2013 seems a bit flimsy though. For boon docking or hotter climates I usually take the 3600W inverter generator rather than the Honda 2000W as well as extra fuel and a spare LPG tank so I'm going to error on the side of overkill as always. I never knew those thin wall tubes were rated for 225# so that's also good to know even though I would never count on it. My next mods are a fixed window for the door since it's about the only TT I've seen without one and a lockable 'toolbox' battery storage. I had two brand new deep cycle batteries stolen parked in front of our house the night before a trip so hopefully that won't happen again.
Kuhl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl951 View Post
Good to hear your bumper is that strong, my 2013 seems a bit flimsy though. For boon docking or hotter climates I usually take the 3600W inverter generator rather than the Honda 2000W as well as extra fuel and a spare LPG tank so I'm going to error on the side of overkill as always. I never knew those thin wall tubes were rated for 225# so that's also good to know even though I would never count on it. My next mods are a fixed window for the door since it's about the only TT I've seen without one and a lockable 'toolbox' battery storage. I had two brand new deep cycle batteries stolen parked in front of our house the night before a trip so hopefully that won't happen again.
I can't believe there's no window in the door! That's definitely one thing that annoys me!