Nifty clock for my rig. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #1

Arizona
Nifty clock for my rig.

After four years of taking my rig out on our adventures I got tired of my DW complaining about the clock on the microwave oven displaying the wrong time or having to constantly account for the various time zones I decided to solve the problem once and for all. I ordered a so-called "atomic clock" that receives correct time signals from WWV in Colorado and mounted it above the microwave. I stuck on two car mount magnets designed for smartphones to hold it in place such that I can easily pull the clock off to select the correct time zone and pop it back up. Easy peasy. Now we always have the correct time for whatever US time zone we're in. I added small bungee cords to ensure it stays put while we're on the road. I'm going to try to post some pics but be advised that doesn't always work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_120145.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	5219   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_120422.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	5220  

Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #2

Arizona
The magnet mounts I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_120505.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5221  

Old 01-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

Tennessee
If I had 2 clocks that close together that weren't perfectly synced, i'd have to burn my camper down.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
After four years of taking my rig out on our adventures I got tired of my DW complaining about the clock on the microwave oven displaying the wrong time or having to constantly account for the various time zones I decided to solve the problem once and for all. I ordered a so-called "atomic clock" that receives correct time signals from WWV in Colorado and mounted it above the microwave. I stuck on two car mount magnets designed for smartphones to hold it in place such that I can easily pull the clock off to select the correct time zone and pop it back up. Easy peasy. Now we always have the correct time for whatever US time zone we're in. I added small bungee cords to ensure it stays put while we're on the road. I'm going to try to post some pics but be advised that doesn't always work.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

WWV is in danger of being shut off!

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/09/...radio-stations

I have several devices that use the "atomic" clock. My favorite is my Casio Path Finder watch. Compass , solar power, barometer and crap load of timers and such.

Anyway, such is life.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Illinois
Clocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If I had 2 clocks that close together that weren't perfectly synced, i'd have to burn my camper down.
That makes two of us!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
And that is the very reason duct tape is such a large selling commodity. One little piece and problem solved!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

WWV is in danger of being shut off!

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/09/...radio-stations

I have several devices that use the "atomic" clock. My favorite is my Casio Path Finder watch. Compass , solar power, barometer and crap load of timers and such.

Anyway, such is life.
Oh great. I've been a user of WWV since the 70s. I used to keep our test range timing synchronized every morning to it's signals. In the 80s we used the signals from Loran-C and in the 90s GPS timing receivers came along and changed everything. Oh those were the days. Nowdays people just check their cellphones with little appreciation with what goes into keeping the world on-time. Sigh. As you say, such is life.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
And that is the very reason duct tape is such a large selling commodity. One little piece and problem solved!
Except that I still need to see the timer on the microwave to see how much cook time is left. I just leave the clock set to 00.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:05 AM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
Oh great. I've been a user of WWV since the 70s. I used to keep our test range timing synchronized every morning to it's signals. In the 80s we used the signals from Loran-C and in the 90s GPS timing receivers came along and changed everything. Oh those were the days. Nowdays people just check their cellphones with little appreciation with what goes into keeping the world on-time. Sigh. As you say, such is life.

I am a Ham so I still use it to check propagation on the air. There is also WWVH in Hawaii. And CHU in Canada.

WWVH is not easy to hear from the east coast.

Have Fun!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:57 AM   #10

South Carolina
And it is starting

In the news. WWV

National Weather Service Dropping High Seas and Storm Warnings on WWV/WWVH
The National Weather Service (NWS) is discontinuing its high seas and storm warnings transmitted via National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) WWV/WWVH time and frequency-standard HF transmissions, starting January 31 at 1800 UTC. The NWS warnings are aimed at the Atlantic, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Pacific.
"This service is being terminated because weather information in the current broadcast format does not support frequent-enough updates for changes in marine weather and cannot provide enough detail in the allotted window required by mariners to avoid hazardous weather," NWS said in announcing the discontinuation. "Additionally, alternative technologies and numerous media outlets that provide weather information in various formats have overtaken the need for providing weather information through the NIST frequency signals."
The NWS said other sources of marine weather information, high seas alerts, and detailed forecasts are available over satellite, telephone, the internet, marine fax, radio fax, and VHF radio. The NWS, US Coast Guard, and US Navy provide multiple dissemination methods for storm positioning, high sea areas, observations, forecasts, outlooks, and warnings for both coastal and oceanic marine zones near the US, all through a variety of technologies, including NAVTEX and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).

Just an FYI
Old 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
In the news. WWV

National Weather Service Dropping High Seas and Storm Warnings on WWV/WWVH
The National Weather Service (NWS) is discontinuing its high seas and storm warnings transmitted via National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) WWV/WWVH time and frequency-standard HF transmissions, starting January 31 at 1800 UTC. The NWS warnings are aimed at the Atlantic, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Pacific.
"This service is being terminated because weather information in the current broadcast format does not support frequent-enough updates for changes in marine weather and cannot provide enough detail in the allotted window required by mariners to avoid hazardous weather," NWS said in announcing the discontinuation. "Additionally, alternative technologies and numerous media outlets that provide weather information in various formats have overtaken the need for providing weather information through the NIST frequency signals."
The NWS said other sources of marine weather information, high seas alerts, and detailed forecasts are available over satellite, telephone, the internet, marine fax, radio fax, and VHF radio. The NWS, US Coast Guard, and US Navy provide multiple dissemination methods for storm positioning, high sea areas, observations, forecasts, outlooks, and warnings for both coastal and oceanic marine zones near the US, all through a variety of technologies, including NAVTEX and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).

Just an FYI

I utilize my trusty weather radio which sometimes can be a pain. When we have a hurricane, it goes off about once a minute with warnings. We had a tornado this past summer and it went nuts but I was able to shelter because I was warned. I didn't know they were broadcasting on the NIST network too.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I utilize my trusty weather radio which sometimes can be a pain. When we have a hurricane, it goes off about once a minute with warnings. We had a tornado this past summer and it went nuts but I was able to shelter because I was warned. I didn't know they were broadcasting on the NIST network too.

Yeah the alarms can be a pain. But better safe than sorry huh. Our nearest transmitter is about 10 miles away in the same county. And we are surrounded by others in neighboring counties. The benefit is that we don't get "false" alarms from other counties. When my radio goes off its our county.

Here is a link to maps of transmitter location across the country. Make sure you are listening to the one most appropriate to your location. Especially if you are on the road in a campsite.

NOAA Weather Radio - Map State Selection

Have fun
Old 02-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Yeah the alarms can be a pain. But better safe than sorry huh. Our nearest transmitter is about 10 miles away in the same county. And we are surrounded by others in neighboring counties. The benefit is that we don't get "false" alarms from other counties. When my radio goes off its our county.

Here is a link to maps of transmitter location across the country. Make sure you are listening to the one most appropriate to your location. Especially if you are on the road in a campsite.

NOAA Weather Radio - Map State Selection

Have fun

That's a pretty handy map! In florida we need to pay attention to about five counties since storms moving across them could head our way.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
That's a pretty handy map! In florida we need to pay attention to about five counties since storms moving across them could head our way.

Glad it may come in handy!

I take a more cavalier approach. Ha ha I wait until the wife is standing next to the bed in rain gear, boots and holding 5 flashlights. With the dog of course and asking me where are the keys to the crawl space.

Have fun
Bill
Old 02-01-2019, 11:02 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Glad it may come in handy!

I take a more cavalier approach. Ha ha I wait until the wife is standing next to the bed in rain gear, boots and holding 5 flashlights. With the dog of course and asking me where are the keys to the crawl space.

Have fun
Bill
That is about my approach too. We had a pretty major (for us) tornado outbreak a few years back in April, I was sitting in the great room at the back of the house, which is pretty much all windows watching the storms roll through. We had one tornado run about 17 miles north of us and one around 9 miles south of us. I saw the top of the southern one. They both were EF3 when they rolled through. The northern one trashed the Lowe's in Sanford, NC the southern one got the Goodyear tire plant.

I do have weather radios but the weather stations are poorly placed in NC, I get better warnings from my cellphone.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That is about my approach too. We had a pretty major (for us) tornado outbreak a few years back in April, I was sitting in the great room at the back of the house, which is pretty much all windows watching the storms roll through. We had one tornado run about 17 miles north of us and one around 9 miles south of us. I saw the top of the southern one. They both were EF3 when they rolled through. The northern one trashed the Lowe's in Sanford, NC the southern one got the Goodyear tire plant.

I do have weather radios but the weather stations are poorly placed in NC, I get better warnings from my cellphone.

Aaron

I agree with you about the stations being poorly placed in NC. When we are up in boone, there is one in lenior but it's hard to hear because of the mountains even though it's only a few miles away. I don't think they gubment is putting any $$$ into the national weather service's system, going all for the stupid wall. Is there a weather app you like for when you travel?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Unfortunately, I have to interject a note of extreme seriousness here.... The National Weather Service puts out those broadcasts as quickly as they identify an issue, weather radar indicated or from storm spotters (which I am one). Please do not use the "I take a more cavalier approach" Storms can be deadly. I have helped clean up to many places with fatalities in my Air Force career and now as an Amateur Radio Emergency Services operator. When the tone goes off - go to a shelter.

Also if you have a shelter at your home location PLEASE get someone with a GPS locator to take readings at the location and give them to your local fire department so they know where to look for the opening when there is debris all over the area. OK I'll get off the soapbox now
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #18

Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Unfortunately, I have to interject a note of extreme seriousness here.... The National Weather Service puts out those broadcasts as quickly as they identify an issue, weather radar indicated or from storm spotters (which I am one). Please do not use the "I take a more cavalier approach" Storms can be deadly. I have helped clean up to many places with fatalities in my Air Force career and now as an Amateur Radio Emergency Services operator. When the tone goes off - go to a shelter.

Also if you have a shelter at your home location PLEASE get someone with a GPS locator to take readings at the location and give them to your local fire department so they know where to look for the opening when there is debris all over the area. OK I'll get off the soapbox now

***LIKE***
(like button)
Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post

I am my local fire department...

We do have a interior room that we use for shelter if necessary. Unfortunately the NWS is slow to put our warnings around here. I get better results from My Radar or the local TV station.

Aaron
Old 02-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #20
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I agree with you about the stations being poorly placed in NC. When we are up in boone, there is one in lenior but it's hard to hear because of the mountains even though it's only a few miles away. I don't think they gubment is putting any $$$ into the national weather service's system, going all for the stupid wall. Is there a weather app you like for when you travel?
MyRadar is one of my favorites, I paid for the premium version, well worth it. I also use Wunderground, Weatherbug (they got the bug part right) and a few others. I think I have 7 different weather apps on the phone, most I keep the notifications turned off except for MyRadar and Wunderground. I also have had good luck with the WRAL Weather App, it apparently ties into the NWS warning system. I was in NY and was getting weather notifications back in January.

Aaron