New Porch Lights - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #21

Saskatchewan
This security light is a great idea just not sure that I want to attach it to my trailer where it only protects one area. I’ve been thinking that one mounted to a stand would make it more flexible (ie. pointed towards the tent where the grandkids are sleeping or towards the tow vehicle if it’s not parked close). You do risk having it walk away at night but think I’ll chain it to my surge protector which is chained to the power pedestal (things sure have changed from my farm days where we never locked anything and the keys for the truck never left the ignition switch)

2 X 7ft Light Stand Photo Video Studio Lighting Photography Stands | eBay

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #22

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
-

What was the cost of that light????? your link takes me to a picture
30 to 40 bucks.
MENARDS.com

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #23

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
30 to 40 bucks.
MENARDS.com
thank you for the info!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #24

Wyoming
Well... I didn't really see the need for motion sensor lights, as I usually leave mine on every evening. Of course, they're not the bright white light that blinds others in the campground or attract bugs over my door. I changed out the white bulbs for some blue ones that cast a soft glow over the area I need.

These look brighter in the picture below because of the filter I have on the lens for night shots... but they really are just a nice soft glow. At some point, I'll change the step lights over to blue also.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #25

Colorado
Have you noticed any problems with insects? I ask this as the "bug lights" are yellow, and for a reason. A study done in your state says:

Quote:
A study done in North Carolina produced this result:

"The results showed that most of the orders were attracted to the blue and the ultraviolet wavelengths. The insects are attracted to these specific light wavelengths because they are shorter with a higher frequency while red wave lengths are longer and have a lower frequency which is harder for the insects to detect. Insects have three special eyes, called ocelli, on the top of their heads, with the specific job of identifying light and not movement (Burnie). The shorter the wavelengths, the easier it is for the ocelli to detect them (Burnie). "
I was going to change the porch light, the light by the front storage, and maybe the scare lights to yellow. I know that light blue is more appealing to our eyes, but I am more concerned with what is appealing to bugs eyes.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #26

Wyoming
One of the first things I did after my first week out with the rig last spring was to change the standard white bulbs to amber, as that was my thinking also. Finding amber bulbs wasn't hard (at any auto parts store), and I quickly switched them.

Well, the first week with the amber bulbs over the doors was good. Hardly any insects congregating over the doorways, and I thought..."ok, this'll work."

Moved the rig about 200 miles away for the next week, and the bugs were back. As I continued moving around the next few weeks, pretty much the same result no matter where I went.

After getting back home where I could make a few other convenience mods to the rig... I ordered some blue bulbs over the internet and decided to give them a shot.

Took the rig back out for a few trips... and while there are always a few flyin' critters that still wanna hang out above my doorways, I'm pretty sure that there aren't near as many as there used to be. Of course, that could just be a subjective guess... but I think they work better. Your mileage may vary...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #27

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Have you noticed any problems with insects? I ask this as the "bug lights" are yellow, and for a reason. A study done in your state says:

I was going to change the porch light, the light by the front storage, and maybe the scare lights to yellow. I know that light blue is more appealing to our eyes, but I am more concerned with what is appealing to bugs eyes.
If they are blue LED are they not different wavelengths and do not attract bugs as incandescent lights do? Has anyone else heard LED lighting deters bug attraction?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #28

Texas
I just ordered one. It looks like any big rv store will have it, they might have to order it.
poup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #29

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
If they are blue LED are they not different wavelengths and do not attract bugs as incandescent lights do? Has anyone else heard LED lighting deters bug attraction?
I would think that blue is blue and that study said that bugs should be attracted to it. ATCguy says that has not been his experience. I have some solar powered LED lights that put out a blue-white color on a part of our deck and they do not seem to attract bugs, but then we really do not have a lot of bugs around here.

Guess I will need to wait until next year when we get to "bug" country again and then experiment.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #30

Wyoming
Quick update on the blue bulbs that I installed... Don't do it.

Yes, they did cut down on the bugs. But...

1) They don't really light up the area around the coach that much, and ...

2) They MELTED my light fixtures.

So... I'll be hanging new fixtures before long, probably going with an LED option.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE