Making queen bed longer? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #21

Virginia
When we had our Coleman TT, I removed the board for the under bed storage and added one a bit longer. To reinforce the unsported part the ply board 1x6 slats across the top of it. They were not noticeable thru the mattress at all. Then to support the extra weight had to remount the hydrolic arms at a slightly different angle.

Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #22

Alberta
I put a standard queen foam mattress in our 261 bhs and it was the best thing we ever did for comfort. I didn't extent the plywood underneath, there is no need. It did make it a lot heavier when accessing storage though, ours didn't come with any assist shocks. One good thing is the foam heats up when the furnace turns on. Nice and toasty.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #23

Saskatchewan
We added a Sleep Number bed to our 242RESL and had the same results with the weight of the bed. Ours didn't come with the shocks either and I contemplated adding them myself. Now comes the questions of what length and poundage do you use, it might be simpler just to keep using the broom stick.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #24

Oklahoma
I have the shocks but I still use the broom stick method as I store the stick under the bed anyway. Never did trust those gas shocks, especially with my head stuck underneath the platform.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
This was the first thing my wife and I did to our camper, we bought a memory foam mattress from Amazon (surprisingly comfortable for the price) It was on sale for $200 when we bought it, and cut a peice of 1/2 plywood replacing the existing board by unscrewing the wood screws from the hinge. Ours did not have shocks so we had a stick cut anyway. Very comfortable.
Hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #26
Site Team

North Carolina
Missed this thread the first go around...

I cut a piece of high density furniture foam about 6"-7" wide, as wide as the mattress and same thickness. Put it at the head of the bed and just let the short queen slide down a bit on the platform. The sheet holds it in place. We also have a pretty substantial mattress topper too. I added struts to the bed seeing how Dutchmen was too cheap to put them on there. If you add some weight to you bed you may be able to move your mounting points a bit to get the struts to work properly. Most of the kits come a decent strength of strut.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
So I am just 6 ft tall but i am use to our king at home. With a queen "RV" size bed my feet hang over at night.

So the end of our bed it has a tv entertainment area with about 12 gap at the end of the bed. It's too narrow to really walk between the bed and tv. So the lid under the bed of a storage box could easy be changed to be extended about 6+ inches. Then put a real queen memory foam mattress.

What do you folks think?
I would just buy a piece of firm upholstery foam (or as firm as your mattress) the width of your mattress and the same thickness (add a couple of layers to make up the thickness if needed) and place this piece at the head of the bed. Just slide the mattress down 6" and insert the foam piece at the front and VOILA...instant full queen. Since the extra piece is at the head, it will not move or slide around on you especially if you use a full queen fitted sheet. Hopes this helps!!!