Major Water Damage Project! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Nebraska
Major Water Damage Project!

I posted prior asking for help before i started this project. I have watched many youtube videos and they helped a ton. I have started my project ans so far is going as expected. I will try to add pictures of the process, but thought if anyone wanted to see the journey i will post some pics when i can.
I started on the interior instead of the roof as i figured i want a sturdy foundation under me while on the roof.... water damage has got to the floor joists as expected and those are being replaced as well. The camper did spend most of its life in florida and i have found some interesting things.... most interesting was little tiny eggs that iam hoping are not snake eggs... they are all hatched thankfully and hopefully living in florida. I am hoping being it was in florida they are small lizard eggs as my wife hates snakes and would probably burn the camper if they are snake eggs!
I did cause more damage for myself to fix as i was not watching what i was doing with this big ol girl and smacked a pole turning out of my lake property....
anyway rambling now, on to the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT_1470083030528_20160707_203022.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	3506   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT_1470083030596_20160730_142624.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	3507  

maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Illinois
Quite a project. Good luck. How long do you figure to take?
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Quite a project. Good luck. How long do you figure to take?
Rusty
Rusty

there is alot to do on it, pics shown is one back corner, i have started on the opposite corner and i also have to do the front nose and around the slide for sure. With not working on it more then an hr or 2 every now and again it will probably take the rest of summer, hoping to be done by the end of september....
Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Yikes!

Looks like what we used to refer to as a full Monty.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:43 AM   #5

Florida
It looks like you have your work cut out for you, but it can be rewarding too.
I once undertook a complete rebuilt of a Class A MH, when we brought it home 2X4's held the roof up, I stripped it to the frame and completely re did it from the frame up took awhile to do it but it was rewarding to say the least.

Good luck with the project....
Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #6

Florida
I would love to know how your rebuild is going. I have just started a water damage repair project on a 2006 28F with a large slide. My damage is on the slide and the support beam above the slide. I will be posting pics of my project as I move forward as well.
westflgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:24 AM   #7

Nebraska
Going decent. Slow but decent. I actually just got done rebuilding my slide and got it back in before the weather turned cold. 3/4 done on the walls then onto the roof in the spring.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 AM   #8

Nevada
maverick83, I see there my be some metal siding damage, you can go to Hemet Valley RV.net 800-966-4878 if you need some outside metal, they will make any type....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
maverick83, I see there my be some metal siding damage, you can go to Hemet Valley RV.net 800-966-4878 if you need some outside metal, they will make any type....
That info is good to know, thanks for sharing with us. It would be good if that info could be permanently saved in the information thread.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #10

Nebraska
been at it awhile

I have not made as much progress as i would have liked as i am still restoring this big ol girl. Hoping to get the roof done this long weekend. It has defiantley been a long project that i have been burned out on some and with having 3 little kids they take alot of time also. But soldiering on! Yes i probably do need new tin on some parts but dont have that kind of money.... I had asked a "pro" camper repair guy how much it would be to have him do the roof as it sits outside and i just want it done but he came back with over 3k in costs even with me already having some materials.... ya not doing that.... well hope to be hard at the roof and getting it done this weekend...
Old 05-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

Florida
It looks like you can handle it. Good luck with the rest of your project. It will he worth it in the end.