Lippert Thin Shade Door Window Installed - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 04:20 AM   #1

Oregon
Lippert Thin Shade Door Window Installed

Most of us have the opaque widow in the door of our travel trailer or toy hauler.

You can't see though it it does let some light even at night when you don't want it.

Some of the new trailers are not coming with windows in the doors at all, what's up with that?

Lippert makes a replacement window that comes dark tinted and a black out shade. The dark tint matches the rest of the windows in the trailer.

This is a two person job.

You can get either the screw in type or the press to fit connectors. The press to fit window if you have one will have no interior screws showing on the inside frame. You will need special clips (included) to remove the window.

It's a personal preference my OEM window had screws the replacement was snap to fit clips.

The instructions tell you more how to fit the shade than to install the window. There are youtube videos to help you out.

Remove the original window screws or clips clean the area around the outside of the window rubbing alcohol or similar product to remove sealant residue.

The new window comes with sealant installed for the window and the frame. The window glass is loose in the box packaged but amazed it makes the trip without breaking.

You can put the glass in the outer frame set in the sealant (they seemed stingy on the sealant). This is the method shown on most of the videos I watched.

For me I did not like it. The glass did not want to stay in the frame even after pressing the window into the sealant.

I preferred to set the outer frame in the hole and tape it to the door. Use lots of tape as you will be pushing against it from the other side even as your helper will help hold the frame to the door.

you want to keep one hand on the glass at all times. I set the glass inside the outer frame from the other side of the door, holding the glass in making sure it's in contact with the sealant. Holding onto the glass I set the inner frame fastening at the bottom first to help secure the window in place and prevent it from falling out..

The clips will click into place and keep clicking until they are tight. You will need your second person to put pressure on the outside of frame at the same time your pressing on the clips. Keep going around the frame until it don't click any more.

Don't like the clips then get the screw type.

From the outside the window is very dark like all the other windows in the trailer. You can't see in but you can see out.

The shade can be inserted at a 45 degree angle. there are two locking clips at the top and bottom . Pay attention to the instructions of which way the latch locks as the top and bottom are different.

You can install the shade to it pull down from the top or you can install it so it pushes up from the bottom by basically installing the shad upside down. This is preferred because there is a problem with operating the shade from the inside when the door is closed, you can't. That's because the screen door is in the way. By installing the the shade so it pushes up from the bottom you can still see over the top of it while making it difficult for someone to see in.

Good Luck!
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote