Light too bright - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #21

Florida
Did the color change to near daylight? Aren't the covers kinda blue/green tinted

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #22

Michigan
Pam W - Thanks

We must have an "old-fashioned" RV

jschaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #23

Idaho
Light too Bright

Dont mess with the LED's. Since you have the lens off Spray paint the inside of the lens.
If you mess it up Lenses are a lot less $$ then LED fixtures or trying to move the light.
There is no heat to worry about and just keep changing paint unti you find something that works !
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #24

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
In my CTS16FB there's an LED 'tap light' above the head of the bed. It's BRIGHT, and right in my eyes. I do like to use it, I just wish it were about half. I considered covering the lens with something to dim it down then I thought of covering half the diodes somehow which might look better (Small bits of electrical tape? Permanent marker?)

Anyone else have a similar issue and with a successful solution?

Thanks!

"I wear my sunglasses in bed ... "
I agree about the brightness. Also, the lights are too far forward, thus they shine through the news papers I am reading. I bought a pack of five battery powered tap lights at Costco for $15.00 and placed 3 lights closer to the wall so they would shine on what I was reading, instead of behind. The lights attach with double face adhesive pad (included) and are adjustable to any angle. They come with a remote control and have 3 other colors in addition to the white light used for reading.
I put the other two lights in the dark closets on each side of the bed.
Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #25

Alberta
I had the same issue with a light above our bed when I switched to LED bulbs. I solved the problem by removing some of the diodes from the bulb. This made the bulb less bright, and I also removed the ones that were shining down, and left the ones that were shining up into the fixture. This diffused the light as well.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #26

New York
Color

The light output is a nice sunlight color, after the white silicone is applied.
Gary Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #27

New York
Please don’t spray paint your lenses! That is a bad idea!

The silicone will not hurt or damage your LED lights. I did mine three years ago and they’re going strong. Give it a try!

So many naysayers! Somebody else please try this and back me up!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 PM   #28

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Coleman View Post
Please don’t spray paint your lenses! That is a bad idea!

The silicone will not hurt or damage your LED lights. I did mine three years ago and they’re going strong. Give it a try!

So many naysayers! Somebody else please try this and back me up!
Not sure why you're so emphatic on getting your point across, we all read it.
There are many ways to accomplish the goal of dimming her lights, i'm sure they all will work. I vote leave it alone and get cool reading sunglasses.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #29

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
There are many ways to accomplish the goal of dimming her lights, i'm sure they all will work. I vote leave it alone and get cool reading sunglasses.
“Wild West”. I am emphatic because this method really works well, but is only necessary for those who find their LEDs too bright or too blue.

You clearly do not, so why don’t you just ignore this entire thread and read something that interests you?

Why do you care so much what I write? Do you know me? Do I offend you?

Best wishes!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #30

Florida
Quote:
“Wild West”. I am emphatic because this method really works well, but is only necessary for those who find their LEDs too bright or too blue.

You clearly do not, so why don’t you just ignore this entire thread and read something that interests you?

Why do you care so much what I write? Do you know me? Do I offend you?

Best wishes!

...wow
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #31

Oklahoma
Gotta luv them New Yorkers
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #32

New York
Oh, boy. Here we go. Allow me to explain. The last time I wrote about dimming LEDs, Wildwest wrote this reply;

“I love blueish white led light, soft buttery light is the worst, but i'm glad it works for you.“

Judging by the number of folks who chimed in on Pam’s thread, many have an issue of the brightness of their LEDs.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #33

Florida
Quote:
Oh, boy. Here we go. Allow me to explain. The last time I wrote about dimming LEDs, Wildwest wrote this reply;

“I love blueish white led light, soft buttery light is the worst, but i'm glad it works for you.“

Judging by the number of folks who chimed in on Pam’s thread, many have an issue of the brightness of their LED LAMPS.
Fixed!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #34

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Did the color change to near daylight? Aren't the covers kinda blue/green tinted
No, the covers are just white. The color isn't bad, it just no longer matches the rest of them; and that bugs me.

I'd say they are about 4,000 Kelvin standard and the black sharpie changed it to 5,000 Kelvin.

(here's a scale showing the different color temperatures)
Kelvin Scale & CRI Level : Cinelight.com, Video & Film Lighting Equipment. European shop.
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #35

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Fixed!

My husband gets mad at me when I correct him re: bulbs, lamps and fixtures.
Bulbs are what you plant, lamps are what emit light, fixtures hold the lamps.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #36

Oregon
Quote:
Sort of took your approach. The led lights are way too bright to use for reading so just bought a reading light stick that clips to a book or kindle and use that to read by. Cost was like $6 or so and trailer light was left as is. The light clip has the advantage of not shining down on my wife, or vice versa, when one of us is ready for sleep and the other isn’t done reading.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #37

Ohio
Quote:

Judging by the number of folks who chimed in on Pam’s thread, many have an issue of the brightness of their LEDs.
I generally prefer light in the 5,000K area (slightly bluer). The color rendering is better ... whites tend to look yellow when you start to get down to about 3,000K. Now, when you get too blue, things start looking off again. Try eating a steak when the light value is close to 9,000. A nice medium rare looks gray/purple ... flat unappetizing!

BUT ... worse than too blue or too yellow is mismatched in the same area!

Many times in a gas station or big box store where they have exposed fluorescent fixtures you can see where they've replaced one or two lamps with one of a different color temperature. Those stick out to me like a sore thumb!!

I'll clean off the diodes and try the silicon option next.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #38

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
Sort of took your approach. The led lights are way too bright to use for reading so just bought a reading light stick that clips to a book or kindle and use that to read by. Cost was like $6 or so and trailer light was left as is. The light clip has the advantage of not shining down on my wife, or vice versa, when one of us is ready for sleep and the other isn’t done reading.
Nice. I would comment further but was told to leave the thread by Gary Coleman.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #39

Ohio
Quote:
Nice. I would comment further but was told to leave the thread by Gary Coleman.
It's my thread ... and I'd never kick you out!

I have my reasons for wanting to modify the light vs using a loose night light. First and foremost I can turn if off without getting out of bed (or sitting up to put it on my 'nightstand'.) I'm lazy like that. The ONLY time this light is used is when I'm in bed, there's no reason for it to be full power, for me. The others ... those need to be full bright for certain!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #40

Florida
I doubt if those lamps would be the type that could be dimmed (they would probably start to flash with less power). The only way to decrease the amount of lumens is to decrease the amount of LED's that operate in the lamp. Covering them up with a very thick solution or blacking them out will probably work.