Kodiak Cub Modifications - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #21

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberan View Post
I have a 2019 Kodiak Cub 185MB. I suspect most of you with Cub's have a similar under bed storage area. I found that lifting up the mattress to access the storage area to be cumbersome and difficult. I elected to install under bed drawers. The bottom mount drawers are from Rev-A-Shelf. In addition, I purchased panel mounting brackets from the same company. I contacted my RV dealer and was able to purchase two door fronts that have the matching finish to my trailer. The door fronts were turned sideways to become the drawer fronts. The drawer handles were purchased at Home Depot. Using the aluminum bed frame structure as I guide, I cut out the two openings in the end panel. The wood is thin, so it was fairly easy to cut. I added two stringers across the floor bottom. This is necessary to account for the 1" height of the aluminum structure and provide the appropriate surface for the bottom mount drawers. The stringers were made from 2 X 2's (1 1/2" X 1 1/2") with one side cut down to 1" to match the aluminum structure. This is not absolutely necessary-I just wanted the drawer to sit as low as possible. In an effort to minimize floor penetrations, I used metal brackets to fasten stringers to aluminum structure. In the end, I had to add a few screws to the center of the aft stringer, as it would bow upwards when extending the drawers. I probable spent around $300.00, so this is not a cheap modification. It does however add substantial, easy to get to storage. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Thanks for this idea, I was thinking of doing a drawer idea for the passthrough cubby but trying to think of what to do with the small chunk next to my water heater.

BlueByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #22

Wisconsin
Yesterday I finished covering the two dump valves on my Kodiak Cub KD176RD18. This completes the previous posts detailing sealing, insulating, and venting spaces for winter camping. I expect to be able to camp in 0 deg F weather. Covering the dump valves should allow dumping tanks in freezing weather.

The covers are made from black 5 gallon buckets purchased at a local farm hardware store. The buckets are cut to fit all the odd shapes surrounding the dump valves.

Bucket bottoms are facing out and a close fitting hole is cut in the bottom to go over the dump fitting. Openings for the gate valve extending parts are cut in the side of the buckets. The gate valve handle extends outside the buckets.

A custom fit plastic board fills the open previously top of the bucket. The board is attached with several small screws through the bucket wall into the board. Screwing to the belly cover was judged to be too fragile. A strap is wrapped around the bucket and attached to the frame to secure the bucket in place.

Pictures of the finished project are attached.

Inside, the dump valves and pipes are wrapped in a thick layer of insulating tape. Remaining air space inside is filled with fiberglass bat insulation. All seams and edges are filled with closed cell foam insulation and exterior grade tape. A 1/4 inch hole is drilled into the low point to drain any water that gets in.

Heat flow is planned to come from the liquid in the tanks. The black water tank has a short 3 inch pipe. The gray water tank has a short 1 1/2 inch pipe.

Testing will commence in the fall of this year (2020) and winter of next year (2021).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1877.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	6388   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1878.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6389   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1879.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	6390   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1880.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	6391  

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:20 AM   #23

Michigan
Thumbs up Awesome Mod

bobberan: Thanks for sharing this mod. We just purchased a 2020 185MB, and after the first two outings, we discovered how much of a pain it was to gain access to this storage area. I will most likely copy your mod into our cub now.

How much weight do you typically place on the Rev-A-Shelf?
stantonsvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #24

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I installed magnetic door latches to hold the annoying overhead cabinet doors open. I used the same magnetic latches used on the outside pass through doors. I bought them from an Amazon retailer.
What size screws did you use? I liked your color matching and ordered some from amazon, but they don't come with screws. Not sure what size screw I should use when drilling into the top of the trailer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ClimberJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cub, improvement, kodiak cub, modification