Keyless Cargo Door Locks by RVlock... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Wyoming
Keyless Cargo Door Locks by RVlock...

Since I already had their keyless locks for both of my entry doors on the Voltage... I decided to take advantage of the 30% off sale that RVlock.com had this past holiday weekend to get their cargo locks too for my 2 basement doors & the exterior TV door.

Replacement was fairly easy, though it did require a little bit of modification to the door, and a slight movement of the interior catch.

The original slam locks have an offset latch... whereas on the new RVlocks, the latch is center mass. This required the cutting-away & enlargement of some of recess in the door where the latch part would rest.

Next, the metal loop that makes up the interior catch had to be removed & moved about an inch to accommodate the new position of the latch. While this normally wouldn't be that much of an issue... the catch is not only secured to the interior casing by 2 screws, but they also pop-riveted it to the casing. Removing it required a bit of prying, which unfortunately bent up the lip of the casing a bit. Nothing major, but just a PITA.

The 1st photo below shows the offset latch of the original slam lock... and the other photos are of the exterior TV door, and were taken right after the completed install. I purposely didn't clean the door yet, or finish straightening the lip before I took the photos, so you could see the outline of where the original slam lock was, and how the lip was chewed up a bit prying off the rivets. I've since cleaned things up to where you can barely tell any work was done.

Anyway, I no longer need any keys to secure or open up the basement or the exterior TV compartments... and if I ever do need a key, all the locks are keyed alike to my entry doors. Nice only needing that single key on the ring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Original lock.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	4759

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	4760

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4761

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	4762

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Since I already had their keyless locks for both of my entry doors on the Voltage... I decided to take advantage of the 30% off sale that RVlock.com had this past holiday weekend to get their cargo locks too for my 2 basement doors & the exterior TV door.

Replacement was fairly easy, though it did require a little bit of modification to the door, and a slight movement of the interior catch.

The original slam locks have an offset latch... whereas on the new RVlocks, the latch is center mass. This required the cutting-away & enlargement of some of recess in the door where the latch part would rest.

Next, the metal loop that makes up the interior catch had to be removed & moved about an inch to accommodate the new position of the latch. While this normally wouldn't be that much of an issue... the catch is not only secured to the interior casing by 2 screws, but they also pop-riveted it to the casing. Removing it required a bit of prying, which unfortunately bent up the lip of the casing a bit. Nothing major, but just a PITA.

The 1st photo below shows the offset latch of the original slam lock... and the other photos are of the exterior TV door, and were taken right after the completed install. I purposely didn't clean the door yet, or finish straightening the lip before I took the photos, so you could see the outline of where the original slam lock was, and how the lip was chewed up a bit prying off the rivets. I've since cleaned things up to where you can barely tell any work was done.

Anyway, I no longer need any keys to secure or open up the basement or the exterior TV compartments... and if I ever do need a key, all the locks are keyed alike to my entry doors. Nice only needing that single key on the ring.

Attachment 4759

Attachment 4760

Attachment 4761

Attachment 4762
I noticed you have a 450 platinum. how do you like your truck and does it have the Ford Diesel or gas? If you have the diesel, have you had any issues?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #3

Texas
Very nice Tom. So did you install 5 or only 3? My basement has 2 on each door that would be costly....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Very nice Tom. So did you install 5 or only 3? My basement has 2 on each door that would be costly....
Only 3... all of my doors are single-latch.

Name:	IMG_0597 copy.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	4763
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I noticed you have a 450 platinum. how do you like your truck and does it have the Ford Diesel or gas? If you have the diesel, have you had any issues?
The F-450 only comes in one configuration, and it's diesel. Had it over 4 years now, been all over the country with it a couple of times... a couple of warranty repairs for the DEF tank, mirrors, and the sunroof... but no major issues at all.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #6

Ohio
I just replaced the entry door latch on my trailer with an RVLock V4 ... LOVE IT!! I also replaced the thumb latch lock so I have a single key to open the entrance door and the storage compartment. My husband thought I was nuts, but I have no regrets.

I'm glad you were able to get yours to work, even with minor mods.

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote