jack stabilizers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #1

Texas
jack stabilizers

Stopped by the local dealer today and saw some Open Range units with stabilizer arms on the leveling jacks. They were JT Strong Arm Stabilizers. It looks like they were standard on those units. We have a Denali 330RLS and no matter how softly I sneak out to the kitchen to get my coffee in the morning I seem to "rock" the trailer a bit.
I wondered if any of y'all had put these on and how good they worked.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

New York
Here is an example of a JT Strongarm
Attached Images

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #3

Colorado
They do work and work well. My son has them on his slide in camper to stabilize it when it is off the truck and on the jack legs. Before he got them it would almost be scary how wobbly it seemed. With them it is rock solid.

I have considered them for the at least the front of our rig. I think the rear would be too hard to get to the T-handles as far in under as the rear stabilizer is. The other hang up is cost, Happijac is certainly proud of them!!

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #4

California
I just installed them on my Voltage 3950. They rock! Um, stop the rock and roll. Really nice installation, went very smooth. I can walk down the steps to the outside (4 of them) and not bother my wife sleeping in the bedroom.

Check out the installation here.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

New York
VoltageGuy - I can view the pics here but not over on the other posting.....yet again, it would be nice if you could post them here. Many people don't want to "click onto" another site to view things......just saying!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Colorado
Nice write up, very clear instructions. I might even venture a guess that they are better than the ones that came with them.

So you only put them on the front and saw that significant result. Good to know because I said earlier I think getting to them on the rear would be too difficult.

So the front landing gear on your rig is square tube with holes. The front on ours is round tube with no holes. Do you know if they make provisions for that type of installation?

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Nice write up, very clear instructions. I might even venture a guess that they are better than the ones that came with them.

So you only put them on the front and saw that significant result. Good to know because I said earlier I think getting to them on the rear would be too difficult.

So the front landing gear on your rig is square tube with holes. The front on ours is round tube with no holes. Do you know if they make provisions for that type of installation?
I put them on front and rear. Yes, I have square tubes with round holes. Old school. Yours are hydraulic maybe? You can get mounting tabs that will attach the strong arms to the ground plates. More hole drilling, but it would work.

Supports front and rear are best in my opinion. The whole trailer is stabilized that way.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Texas
They do work very well.
My FIL just built some for his XLR Nitro. He just used some 3/4 and 1" steel tubing in thickness's that allowed them to telescope inside one another. He welded 3/8 nuts on the corner of the outer tube to pinch the corner of the inner tube and prevent deformation of the sides of the tubes that happens when you clamp the sides.

It's really a very simple project for a hobby welder.
I designed them for him and he fab'd and installed them and ended up with one on the left front and one on the right rear. This almost eliminated the sway entirely and his total for materials was $75 plus some bolts and scrap plate steal he had on hand.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #9

chocks

Are you using X chocks on your wheels? They make a huge difference, I bought my first pair but had to make a set to fit the wide wheelbase Aerolite.
winglessprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglessprint View Post
Are you using X chocks on your wheels? They make a huge difference, I bought my first pair but had to make a set to fit the wide wheelbase Aerolite.
I agree with this..it made a huge difference on my rig as well.

firestone bags with AirRide wireless auto level Curt Q20 on R5 rails
Jbee is offline   Reply With Quote