Hitch Installation and more - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #1

California
Hitch Installation and more

Hi everyone. In preparation for the purchase of my 2013 Voltage 3950, I needed a fifth wheel hitch installed. Should I do it myself, or have someone else do it? Well, I decided to man up and do it myself.

First I had to decide on the hitch. Made some phone calls, looked around the web. Decided to use eTrailer as the supplier, since shipping was free and there was no sales tax.

I decided on the Reese R20. I kind of documented the installation and wrote about it on my blog. Feel free to visit. I'm slowly documenting everything I do, with photos and videos. I have about 14 posts as of today.

I like these forums, because I can meet more people. I live in Orange County, CA. I'm purchasing my Voltage from a dealer in Riverside -- Richardson's RV. I didn't get the hydraulic lifts because they're on the 2014 model, but the electric should be ok. Plus, the rig is marked down significantly to try and move it for the 2014 model year.

Anyway, the fifth wheel is installed, the wiring harness done, and I'm ready to hook up for the first time. That day is coming soon. August 10 is my target day for the PDI. I'll be documenting what goes down on my Voltage RV blog.

I've already learned quite a lot about things from reading this forum and others, and watching a lot of YouTube videos. This purchase is an upgrade from our tow-behing Vortex 25 foot toy hauler. It will be a welcome relief to have a garage separate from the living quarters.

Enough for now. Hope to enjoy more time on this forum.

Tom

Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #2

Oklahoma
You'll be looking forward to the lessons regarding turning radius and reversing with an added set of tires and nearly 20 more feet behind you.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

California
Turning and more

I'll definitely be looking forward to the driving aspects. Going to spend some time on the runway where we store our stuff. Plenty of open space to practice backing up, and getting into various spaces. I hope this thing is easier to back up then my tow-behind. The dynamics should be different. I recall driving a truck pulling a fifth wheel years ago, but back then wasn't paying a lot of attention to the physics of it all. Shold prove to be a challenge.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Quebec
Welcome to the forum. I also installed my 5th wheel hitch myself (a Husky) and had no problems doing it. The installation instructions were detailed and accurate. You will find that the 5th wheel trailer doesn't track quite as closely behind your truck as did your travel trailer ..... so for the first little while watch your mirrors carefully when making turns to make sure you don't end up driving over the curb (or worse!). Have fun and hope you enjoy the new toy hauler.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #5

California
Spent the afternoon driving around El Toro airbase where we store the RV. Practiced all kinds of maneuvers. I like the way the rig handles now, and backing up is so much simpler, and I don't worry about ripping the tongue off the trailer, because, oh yea, there is not tongue!

No more bouncy bouncy, either. The old trailer always caused the truck to bob up and down. Thought I needed new shocks (wait, they ARE new.) Anyway, that's a thing of the past. These fifth wheels are a dream to pull.

And, yes, one must watch the mirrors... those tires like to try and hop curbs.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #6

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
Spent the afternoon driving around El Toro airbase where we store the RV. Practiced all kinds of maneuvers. I like the way the rig handles now, and backing up is so much simpler, and I don't worry about ripping the tongue off the trailer, because, oh yea, there is not tongue!

No more bouncy bouncy, either. The old trailer always caused the truck to bob up and down. Thought I needed new shocks (wait, they ARE new.) Anyway, that's a thing of the past. These fifth wheels are a dream to pull.

And, yes, one must watch the mirrors... those tires like to try and hop curbs.
Look what happened when I had a fight with a Ballard
See the panel on the ground but I fixed it myself.
Trailer

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Look what happened when I had a fight with a Ballard
See the panel on the ground but I fixed it myself.
Trailer
Wow. You're good with the metal working. I'll have to be very, very careful not to damage anything!