Furrion backup camera? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #1

Florida
Furrion backup camera?

To Furrion or not to Furrion….

My new RV has a hookup for a Furrion backup camera. I noticed that the resolution for this camera is relatively low.

Has anyone used a different camera? Does the mount adapt to another manufacturers camera? Is there even anything out there that works better (better-ish) or am I doomed to the Furrion?

Is there something that will work with an iPad? Do I need to buy a Furrion monitor (not wanting that).

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #2

Wyoming
Frank, I got rid of the old Furion camera that on my rig long ago… and have been using the Garmin setup for the past few years. I already use a Garmin 770RV GPS in the truck… and I added the Garmin Backup camera on the back of the RV (BC30 maybe?… I can’t remember the exact model)

Anyway, resolution is very good… and the GPS unit is its monitor screen. I just tap a toggle switch on the GPS to switch between the 2. Seamless & easy.

I haven’t seen a system that integrates with an iPad though… but that would be nice.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:49 AM   #3

California
I bought some Furion compatible camera that came with a larger monitor that was much less expensive and mounted right up. Easy install and works great.

I can’t recall the name but it is some Chinese brand.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. Thought about replacing my garmin but I really, really would like to use my iPad since I use the iPad for monitoring the truck (have a coffee cup mount for it). Maybe I’m asking for too much and just need to go with the Furrion but. Still hold out hope that maybe someone here has a viable solution. Persistent is always a good source.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:24 PM   #5

Wyoming
When I looked into an RV back-up camera option for my truck's built-into the dash GPS screen, or other video monitors like an iPad a couple years ago... it seemed the main issue was connectability (if that's a word).

As it was explained to me, the issue fell into one of two categories:

The first is that it seems every camera manufacturer wants to use it's own proprietary wireless protocol (so you have to also buy & use their monitor). This is why you can't just use any camera to tie into your truck's built-in GPS screen (for those that have them).

The 2nd is that only common protocol out there is Bluetooth. And while it usually has a pretty good audio range... its video transmission capability range is VERY limited. So a constant signal from the rear of a 30-foot plus RV to the front of a 16-20 foot truck ahead of it is unstable at best. And, again as it was explained to me because I'm dumb as a post about how it all really works... I'm told that boosters and/or signal amplifiers don't really work that well for the Bluetooth protocol... so that option's not available.

That said... I've read that Ford has stated that it's trucks will soon have (if not already) the capability for aftermarket camera systems to integrate with it's on-board audio/video in-dash units... each camera with its own dedicated 'channel', so that the driver can simply toggle through them while driving. So that would be a VERY nice capability if it comes through.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #6
Bob

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
To Furrion or not to Furrion….

My new RV has a hookup for a Furrion backup camera. I noticed that the resolution for this camera is relatively low.

Has anyone used a different camera? Does the mount adapt to another manufacturers camera? Is there even anything out there that works better (better-ish) or am I doomed to the Furrion?

Is there something that will work with an iPad? Do I need to buy a Furrion monitor (not wanting that).
I recently replaced my POS Furion backup camera with this unit
Haloview MC7109 Plus 7 Inch 720P HD Digital Wireless Rear View Camera System
$479.99.
Far better and less money.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:01 PM   #7

Arizona
I went wireless. Don't remember brand, trailer is in storage at the moment. But get the best wireless you can. It has a nice monitor that I suction cup to windshield and plug into cig lighter. I like it that way as I can then take it off and hide it.

Camera mounted in same location as trailer camera mount. Does work well. I have it wired to trailer running lights under the center light. Easy to do. Since I always run with trailer(truck parking) lights on, the camera is on all the time. I can see the traffic behind me as well as tailgaters!

It's also handy backing into anywhere....

Furrion makes me furious! Everything they do is cheaply made yet expensive. Silly (stupid) business model really... They have a lock on the RV industry. If they made better quality products, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Resolution is cheap to do these days!!
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:35 AM   #8

Texas
Non Furrion Monitor

Wireless Backup Camera for RV HD 1080P 7 Inch Touch Key DVR Monitor, High-Speed Rear View Observation System Compatible with Furrion Pre-Wired RVs Trucks Trailers Campers IP69 Waterproof Rohent R12

Look into the above camera on Amazon. Link wouldn't paste. It is only $140.00. It is on my 38 foot trailer with a crew cab truck. Minimal dropouts while driving. Also if you send a good revie,w you can get a free camera from them, Chinese built but most are. For the money I am happy.
2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #9

Florida
Not having much luck finding an alternative to the Furrion camera. I already have a gps (garmin) a radar detector with red light location capability, a dashcam and a toll plaza transponder attached to my windshield. I don’t have the room for a backup camera monitor. I also have an iPad to monitor truck virals with a cup mount. That monitors the tire pressures on the rv plus monitors the truck vitals and uses the RV LIFE maps app. I REALLY need to use the iPad for the rv backup monitor instead of putting another monitor in place. I am not having much luck finding a decent substitute for the Furrion-s since the Furrion uses a proprietary wireless system for their camera.

I know this forum is monitored by RV LIFE and I frequently see topics we discuss here in their newsletters. How about an in depth look at rv backup cameras for a newsletter ?
Old 02-21-2022, 01:25 AM   #10

California
This is true one I bought. Like I said. Mounts easily. I used some silicone all around the bracket and in the mounting holes to prevent any water intrusion.

It works as an observation camera as well as back up and basically is powered when the battery disconnect is not disconnected so it also works as a security cam while camping too. Just bring the monitor in the trailer and plug into 12v power like the one in the A/V cabinet where the antenna amplifier is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	7309
Old 02-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #11

Minnesota
Here is the one I got. Dont remember the cost. Was that cheap...
Installation was simple. Just buy the Furrion adapter.
Works great.
One thing I did not know and will have to address.
The power to the camera is on all the time. Drains the battery down while stored.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam-2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	7313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam-1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	7314  
Coz1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #12

Florida
The problem is that I am attempting to get away without using another monitor in an already crowded dashboard...