Electric Tongue Jack - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

South Carolina
Electric Tongue Jack

Caught a great internet sale from CW, and today installed my electric tongue jack. Sized right, economical, and what a strain-saver! Since upgrading to the WD hitch, all that up and down will now be a lot easier! No need for a picture or a description, you all know what they are!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Caught a great internet sale from CW, and today installed my electric tongue jack. Sized right, economical, and what a strain-saver! Since upgrading to the WD hitch, all that up and down will now be a lot easier! No need for a picture or a description, you all know what they are!

Now you know why I wanted one so bad.:

Haven't gotten mine yet, but it is on my short list!

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

South Carolina
Here's the one I bought Aaron, and it' on sale again. Plus, after the purchase they sent me a $10 certificate! You'll see my review at the top of the list.
2,500lb Electric Tongue Jack - Stromberg Carlson JET-2500 - Tongue Jacks - Camping World
Old 05-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Tennessee
They are awesome, I just wish they had a high gear. It's so dang hilly around here i'm constantly running that thing full in and out, it takes forever.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Tennessee
My DW and I started out rv'ing in a 28ft travel trailer. The electric tongue jack in my opinion is the single best upgrade you can make to a travel trailer. I used to be ringing wet with sweat by the time I got done cranking the manual jack. After I installed the electric, piece of cake.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:51 AM   #6

Arizona
Talking

I purchased the Stromberg Carlson JET-3700 Black 3500 Lbs Electric Tongue Jack with Light ( still needs to be installed, but looks pretty simple) from Amazon for $165

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:14 AM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlin1976 View Post
I purchased the Stromberg Carlson JET-3700 Black 3500 Lbs Electric Tongue Jack with Light ( still needs to be installed, but looks pretty simple) from Amazon for $165
They give you three 3/8" star washers, but I used six. Three below the bolt head, above the jack flange, and three more below the flange on top of the frame. The idea is to get a good solid ground. I hooked it up carefully, and was disappointed when it didn't move or light up. Trouble ended up as the fuse holder. You will pull it apart to look at it, but to get it together for sure, push each wire clip on to the cylinder fuse, then push the plastic boot together. Be careful, if connected to battery this wire is "hot."
Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #8

Ontario
Great device as long as it's working. Some suggestions after mine would not work:
1. Carry a couple of spare fuses
2. Cover the head of the jack with a plastic water bottle of the right size if you store your trailer outside as I do. Looks perfectly sealed but water somehow found its way into the gearbox and froze in winter.
3. The manual crank mechanism on mine did not work as the clutch in the gearbox would not slip as required when operating manually.

I had to use a hydraulic jack to lift the trailer off the tongue jack, remove it and service it. I stripped it down cleaned and lubricated the gearbox replaced the fuse and it works just fine now. I also realize that the clutch in the gearbox is questionable so I have made an adapter to manually crank it, if that is neccessary in the future. I would remove the electric head/gearbox and then directly hand crank then screw mechanism.
Good luck and hope you never need to do this.
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

South Carolina
Good call on the fuses and water jug, Big Earl! I do like to keep water out of places like that. It came with one spare fuse, but I think I will splice in a better fuse holder, a blade-type of the right size, if I can find slo-blow fuses. I have two sets of fuses now, small for the truck, and large for the trailer.