Dish network tailgater satellite?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #1

North Carolina
Dish network tailgater satellite??

When I bought my 3950, the dealership threw in a a Dish network tailgater satellite.

I opened the box tonight and the only thing in there was a satellite and cable. For anyone using this system, shouldn't a receiver come with it??

Thanks,

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Nope, you'll get the receiver when you subcribe to DISH.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Nope, you'll get the receiver when you subcribe to DISH.
Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Louisiana
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the Dish tailgater satellite dish will work with a DirecTV receiver?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the Dish tailgater satellite dish will work with a DirecTV receiver?

If you go to Dish network's site, there is a link that shows all compatible receivers.

From their site…

Will the Tailgater® work with all DISH receivers?
No. Three DISH receivers are compatible with the Tailgater® – ViP 211k, ViP 211 and 411.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #6

Texas
The receiver can either come from dish or an approved retail location. I bought mine at Camping World for $100.00.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
When I bought my 3950, the dealership threw in a a Dish network tailgater satellite.

I opened the box tonight and the only thing in there was a satellite and cable. For anyone using this system, shouldn't a receiver come with it??

Thanks,

Mark

I am assuming you are already a dish network customer as you are asking about dish network. Have you considered where you are going to place a dish network receiver? In my 3605 there was not a single cabinet deep enough to put one of those receivers. I have a VIP 722 DVR receiver mounted on end in the cabinet that is just to the right of the entry door. Also a Winegard Traveler dish on the roof. Lots of work for some television.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
No it will not. The receiver must send voltage through the coax cable back to the dish so the dish can move. There's only a few dish receivers that do this.

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I am assuming you are already a dish network customer as you are asking about dish network. Have you considered where you are going to place a dish network receiver? In my 3605 there was not a single cabinet deep enough to put one of those receivers. I have a VIP 722 DVR receiver mounted on end in the cabinet that is just to the right of the entry door. Also a Winegard Traveler dish on the roof. Lots of work for some television.

No, I "assumed" it would fit where the DVD player is. I hadn't looked at the size since I didn't have anything to measure.

The dish is a portable dish with 100' of cable so you can move the satellite where you need it.

I'll look at the size of the receiver.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #10

Texas
The receiver is small but mine was about 1.5 inches too deep for the cabinet. To get around that, I took some MDF and created a wedge shaped shelf. I painted it black and it sits right on the shelf in the cabinet. It sits up at high enough angle that I can close the door to the cabinet and I can still store small items under it.

I bought a IR to RF transmitter from Amazon so I can use the satellite remote for the TV's in the bedroom, outside and garage. I also set it up as a universal so the one satellite remote controls volume on those TV's as well.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
The receiver is small but mine was about 1.5 inches too deep for the cabinet. To get around that, I took some MDF and created a wedge shaped shelf. I painted it black and it sits right on the shelf in the cabinet. It sits up at high enough angle that I can close the door to the cabinet and I can still store small items under it.

I bought a IR to RF transmitter from Amazon so I can use the satellite remote for the TV's in the bedroom, outside and garage. I also set it up as a universal so the one satellite remote controls volume on those TV's as well.
You wouldn't mind posting a pic, would you?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #12

Texas
Unfortunately I do not have one on my phone. It will be the weekend before I'll be back over to where I store my trailer.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have one on my phone. It will be the weekend before I'll be back over to where I store my trailer.

No rush, I wanted to see what it looked like. If you get a chance, great, if not, don't worry about it…

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #14

Indiana
Quote:

I've got two left thumbs when it comes to this Dish stuff.
I'd like to do what you've done. Please tell me what a "IR to the RF transmitter" is.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #15

Texas
The remote that comes with the base Dish receiver has to have line of sight to the front of the unit (IR). If you have the receiver in a closed cabinet, the IR remote will not work.

RF remotes use radio frequencies to control the receiver. These types of signals will travel through doors and walls. There are devices that allow you to convert your IR remote to use RF. I bought mine off of Amazon and paid around $37 for it. You end up using the same exact remote. A small transmitter gets installed in place of a battery inside of the remote. A receiver gets placed inside your cabinet with a sensor placed in front of the reader on the receiver itself.

It's really easy to set up and it allows you to control the dish receiver from anywhere inside and even outside your camper.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #16

Indiana
Quote:
The remote that comes with the base Dish receiver has to have line of sight to the front of the unit (IR). If you have the receiver in a closed cabinet, the IR remote will not work.

RF remotes use radio frequencies to control the receiver. These types of signals will travel through doors and walls. There are devices that allow you to convert your IR remote to use RF. I bought mine off of Amazon and paid around $37 for it. You end up using the same exact remote. A small transmitter gets installed in place of a battery inside of the remote. A receiver gets placed inside your cabinet with a sensor placed in front of the reader on the receiver itself.

It's really easy to set up and it allows you to control the dish receiver from anywhere inside and even outside your camper.
Is there a name for that device?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Is there a name for that device?
ir to rf remote extender | eBay

A few here to give you an idea. I have the IR extender that allows me to change channels of my DirecTV receiver and the surround sound thing that's tucked in the cabinet behind the glass. I don't need the RF function as I rarely watch any other TV except in the livingroom.

IR=Infared RF=Radio Frequency
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #18

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
ir to rf remote extender | eBay

A few here to give you an idea. I have the IR extender that allows me to change channels of my DirecTV receiver and the surround sound thing that's tucked in the cabinet behind the glass. I don't need the RF function as I rarely watch any other TV except in the livingroom.

IR=Infared RF=Radio Frequency
Is this the same type of unit that you had discussed this past Spring?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #19

Oklahoma
Pretty much the same except without the RF capability. With the IR extender I can control up to 4 devices with one remote but there are units that can control more devices.

It really helps when the electronic devices are hidden behind the glass doors or when the IR receiver is hidden by the door frame.

I don't have to open the door to use the remote like I did before the extender install. The RF capability is great if one needs to change channels while watching different TVs in different locations.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #20

Texas
This is what I bought:

Amazon.com: Next Generation Remote Control Extender: Electronics