CM16FFBS Mods - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Site Team

North Carolina
CM16FFBS Mods

Just installed a fluorescent light over the sink area to replace the stock camper light. Eventually the rest will get replaced with LED units. I had the fluorescent on hand so that was quick and easy. Got a whole list to work through...
  • Bed Lift arms
  • Front Stabilizer Jacks
  • LED Lights
  • Larger LP tank
  • Vent Fan for Bath
  • Power Jack
  • Television Bracket

Pictures eventually if not later.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

California
I found if on this site too much your to-do list will get added to. You'll see something someone else has done you like and add it to your list. Quite a few of my mods I have hijacked from others.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I found if on this site too much your to-do list will get added to. You'll see something someone else has done you like and add it to your list. Quite a few of my mods I have hijacked from others.
That's a given... fortunately I have a small unit so it won't too out of hand... maybe.

Aaron
Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That's a given... fortunately I have a small unit so it won't too out of hand... maybe.

Aaron

wanna bet
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Just installed a fluorescent light over the sink area to replace the stock camper light. Eventually the rest will get replaced with LED units. I had the fluorescent on hand so that was quick and easy. Got a whole list to work through...
  • Bed Lift arms
  • Front Stabilizer Jacks
  • LED Lights
  • Larger LP tank
  • Vent Fan for Bath
  • Power Jack
  • Television Bracket

Pictures eventually if not later.

Aaron
Finally got rolling on a few mods, and of course the list has change a bit.

Installed LED replacement bulbs in all the fixtures last night. Turn them all on and the converter fan doesn't even turn on. With the old 921 bulb turn two lights on and the fan would start running.

A new mod to the list is to add a switch to the end of the cabinet by the door so you can turn on a light without having to walk all the way into the trailer. Probably going to wire the dinette light to that switch, and possibly the porch light.

I also picked up a roll of LED light strip. Some of it is going into the storage compartment, the rest probably along the trailer side of the awning.

I installed a Vornado folding fan on the front end underside of the kitchen cabinet. Works great.

Aaron

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #6

South Carolina
Aaron, I thought, too about front stabilizers. Then I saw a cheap solution in a campground (same small camper as ours) and it works great! The two jackstands that came from AutoZone when I bought my hydraulic floor jack. (Which I carry with me). Too much weight on the front end, especially when the tongue jack is extended. First I use the yellow cone beneath my tongue jack, so it doesn't extend much. Then raise the front just past level, set the jack stands at the outside edge of the front frame, and lower to level, hopefully just placing some, but not all weight, on the stands. Makes the camper solid as a rock!
BTW, what do you have in mind for a power outlet? The only one inside ours is used for the TV (12V), and is low-amperage. I think I'd like a good strong 12V outlet, probably tapped off of the converter package somewhere.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Aaron, I thought, too about front stabilizers. Then I saw a cheap solution in a campground (same small camper as ours) and it works great! The two jackstands that came from AutoZone when I bought my hydraulic floor jack. (Which I carry with me). Too much weight on the front end, especially when the tongue jack is extended. First I use the yellow cone beneath my tongue jack, so it doesn't extend much. Then raise the front just past level, set the jack stands at the outside edge of the front frame, and lower to level, hopefully just placing some, but not all weight, on the stands. Makes the camper solid as a rock!
BTW, what do you have in mind for a power outlet? The only one inside ours is used for the TV (12V), and is low-amperage. I think I'd like a good strong 12V outlet, probably tapped off of the converter package somewhere.
Got a couple of pictures taken before the sun went down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1408.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1643   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1409.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1644   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1410.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1645  
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Good call Marty!

Forgot that is what they used to use to stabilize trailers back in the dark ages.

I think I have a set of vintage jacks somewhere in my pile of junk. Cheaper than the BAL and a lot easier to use. Might just get rid of the rear ones too.

I don't know about a power point. The one behind the television is all but useless unless you have a 12 volt television. I don't and have no plans to get one. I don't think it would be too hard to pull a line up and put in a good lighter style jack.

By Power Jack I was referring to the one in the front for lifting the trailer. I use a WDH hitch and that manual jack is a pain for that purpose.

BTW here is a picture of the vintage stabilizer jacks. Still available too.

Aaron

Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #9

South Carolina
Aaron, yes, words like "power jack" can mean different things, eh? You don't have to go to Vintage for those jacks, CW has them, even a little cheaper. Aluminum Stack Jacks, set of 2 - Camco 44561 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World I thought about using them, but remembered the two in the garage!
The TV (with DVD player) we bought for the camper runs on 12V, so we use the outlet, and not the supplied 120VAC adapter. That way, even boondocking, we can turn on the TV. (Turns out we almost never do!) I don't exactly have anything in mind, but I think I ought to have ready access to the 12V system. Lights? 12V blender/fan/whatever? Prob on it's own circuit (if a spare is available) at the converter.
BTW, note also the Jack-Me-Up. I really like it. With the old Dakota, the tongue jack would hit speed bumps. The new truck rides higher, but it's still nice not to have that thing poking out there.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
That Jack E Up is interesting.

Their website is a bit wonky on the order page. I seriously consider that for a couple of our heavier trailers. Not sure I want anything else to have to keep up with on the camper.

I suspect the jacks on Vintage Trailer Supply are probably Camco too. I order a fair bit from VTS for my old Airstreams.

Aaron
Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #11

Saskatchewan
Aaron,

What type of LED lights did you use to replace the old 921 bulbs? And what was the cost?

Thanks.
Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by knesdad View Post
Aaron,

What type of LED lights did you use to replace the old 921 bulbs? And what was the cost?

Thanks.
Dave.
Someone on here recommended these from Amazon. Not quite as bright overall as the 921, but I am very happy with them.

Aaron
Old 11-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
That Jack E Up is interesting.

Their website is a bit wonky on the order page. I seriously consider that for a couple of our heavier trailers. Not sure I want anything else to have to keep up with on the camper.

I suspect the jacks on Vintage Trailer Supply are probably Camco too. I order a fair bit from VTS for my old Airstreams.

Aaron
Emailed Jack E Up about their website. They have fixed it.

Aaron
Old 11-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Emailed Jack E Up about their website. They have fixed it.

Aaron
The Jack E Up is a great design, two pieces of welded iron, and three screws. One thing to watch: When the tongue jack is inserted and rotated, that's where you begin to crank the thing up, and put weight on the jack. At this point you want to make sure the three bolt heads are coming up inside the three 1/2 circle cutouts. If not, just wiggle and jiggle, rotate if necessary. The jack plate should come up nice and square with the round top, and not be "cock-eyed." E-Z to do, but you just have to watch for it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
The Jack E Up is a great design, two pieces of welded iron, and three screws. One thing to watch: When the tongue jack is inserted and rotated, that's where you begin to crank the thing up, and put weight on the jack. At this point you want to make sure the three bolt heads are coming up inside the three 1/2 circle cutouts. If not, just wiggle and jiggle, rotate if necessary. The jack plate should come up nice and square with the round top, and not be "cock-eyed." E-Z to do, but you just have to watch for it.
We just ordered a couple of these for some heavy utility trailers at work. Anyone want to bet how long it will be before they manage to lose a jack?

Aaron
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Been out mucking about in the Coleman this morning (weather day at work) got the end inside panel out of the cabinet over the dinette to check on wiring and such, bunch of construction debris and a rats nest of wires in there. The game plan is to mount a triple switch on the end of the cabinet so it can be reached from the door as you come in. The switch will control the dinette light, porch light and my new LED strip lights under the awning. The dinette light is a piece of cake, the other two will take a serious fishing expedition in the wall.

Aaron
Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Been out mucking about in the Coleman this morning (weather day at work) got the end inside panel out of the cabinet over the dinette to check on wiring and such, bunch of construction debris and a rats nest of wires in there. The game plan is to mount a triple switch on the end of the cabinet so it can be reached from the door as you come in. The switch will control the dinette light, porch light and my new LED strip lights under the awning. The dinette light is a piece of cake, the other two will take a serious fishing expedition in the wall.

Aaron
Anxious to see it! Post pictures, too!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Been driving too much again...

Got to thinking about the storage compartment, remember reading about some fiver owners that added insulation in their storage compartment to help keep the bedroom area warmer. Stopped by Lowe's on the way in today and picked up a couple of sheets of extruded polystyrene (blue/pink) board insulation. Going to cut it to fit tight then probably put a 1/4" plywood over it for protection.

Going to have my hands full over Christmas for sure!

"the torture never stops..."

Aaron
Old 12-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #19

Oklahoma
Quote:
Been driving too much again...

Got to thinking about the storage compartment, remember reading about some fiver owners that added insulation in their storage compartment to help keep the bedroom area warmer. Stopped by Lowe's on the way in today and picked up a couple of sheets of extruded polystyrene (blue/pink) board insulation. Going to cut it to fit tight then probably put a 1/4" plywood over it for protection.

Going to have my hands full over Christmas for sure!

"the torture never stops..."

Aaron
Sounds like a good idea but there are more square feet in walls and roof in the bedroom than in the basement. Since cold air drops, insulating the basement might be a waste of time and materials unless a warmer basement is desired.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Site Team

North Carolina
Our bed is over the storage area and we have gotten some cold spots and drafts from that area. So figured insulating it could't hurt. Total cost is less than $50 and probably 3 hours of my time. Have to extend the bed to standard queen, but that is another issue.

Aaron