Bed storage mod - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Florida
Bed storage mod

Dutchmen stupidly allowed the mattress to stick over the mattress support by about a foot in our new Denali 326RL. Thus we could not sit on the foot of the bed for any reason. So I extended the bed storage door by a foot, added support lifts, and built some more storage for our central vacuum hardware.

We've had this camper for about two months but due to company, holidays, and mods, we have yet to go camping. We have full hookups and use our camper as a guest house and so far our company really likes it....

I have to rig up a mount for the spare tire under the tongue and when the DW finishes personalizing the inside with pictures and stuff, we'll be ready to venture out. Hopefully next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper bed storage.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2806  

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
That's pretty nice! I've been working on a similar design for a "secret" storage place under the bed. Only difference is, it would be inside the existing bed frame and much thinner, about 4". The trick is to make it blend in so as not to look like anything but the frame. I've been too busy to go get the materials this week, not to mention it got cold here too and I get lazy in cold weather..
EDIT: I see you were an electronics teacher too!. I taught for a few years in the mid 80s at a school in Pittsburgh. It was a rewarding endeavor, I actually loved it.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #3

Florida
Sounds great. Post pictures when complete. But I assume you will be lazy until about April or May.... LOL.... 70 here today but I won't rub it in......
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
Sounds great. Post pictures when complete. But I assume you will be lazy until about April or May.... LOL.... 70 here today but I won't rub it in......
70!! ohhhh, it's ok,,,, I can take it It's actually not been too bad here, just the past few days got cold. (I'm still lazy though).

I'm hoping to get er done before we leave for Homosassa, FL the 18th of Feb. I have been installing LED strip lights inside all the kitchen cupboards in the meantime. NC momentary push buttons from Radio Shack to operate them. Just finished them up today. The Misses loves them since that dark wood made it impossible to see anything inside the cupboards. A guy could get carried away with those strip lights pretty easy though. They're nice to work with. Came on a spool with about 18' or so. I used it all...

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

California
That is a great idea! We have a Voltage with the mattress over hanging the frame, we always felt like we were sliding off the sides. My husband extended the plywood under mattress to solve that problem. Any idea of extra storage is always good.
wsrsdca is offline   Reply With Quote