Aerolite 282 DBHS Mods - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #1

Delaware
Aerolite 282 DBHS Mods

This is a running page showing my mods.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #2

Delaware
First thing I did was swap out the original shower head for an Oxygenics (white) version. They now include the on/off switch so no need to purchase a seperate one. Simple 5 minute job.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #3

Delaware
Water Pump Fix

As indicated in a different post, my water pump from the factory was louder that a jack hammer. I found it was not attached to anything and the output line was wrapped around the metal track for the drawer it was under. The brain for the slide out was also located under it (disaster waiting to happen).

I moved the brain for the slide, mounted the pump to the floor and added a Shurflo Accumulator Tank. The connector hose was a 12" 1/2" to 1/2" extention hose I picked up from Home Depot.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #4

Delaware
Upgraded 12 Volt System

I removed the original battery mount and added a mount to hold four 6 volts (pic to come). I then moved the circuit breakers into the passthrough, added a cut off swith, buss bars and a 2K watt inverter.

I added a plywood backer board to mount everything on. I still need to clean up some of the wires and will eventually add a 12 volt light. I originally wanted to run the wires up behind the original wall but trying to drill I found the aluminum wall frame prevented that so I was forced to put the hole inboard of the wall. I used a piece of ABS pipe to run the wires through.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Delaware
Sorry...My pics aren't showing up. I had used the gallery for this site and they appeared when I posted it but now they are gone. I will have to upload them to an external site and repost.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Sorry...My pics aren't showing up. I had used the gallery for this site and they appeared when I posted it but now they are gone. I will have to upload them to an external site and repost.

I can see your pictures
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
I can see your pictures
I can't. Tried two different machines and three different browsers and my phone.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

Delaware
Strange. Just tried another machine and I can see them...

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #9

Texas
Looks good, I like the cleaned up wiring and pump area.
Looking forward to the battery box pictures as well.
Is that a pure sine wave inverter? I ask because I had my first pure Sine inverter (xantrex Pro Sine 1800) in my last work vehicle and wasn't impressed with the amount of RF interference it put out, it also failed with in 2 months and the remote control panel never worked correctly even after the replacement.

Not knocking yours and I love the install I just never had any problems from my cheaper non Pure Sine wave inverters I have installed in other vehicles and I am trying to decide if it's worth it to get the Pure Sine or just get the cheaper chopped wave unit's. I suppose it will really matter how the TV/DirecTV receiver handles the non Pure Sine wave.
Do you have any experience with that?
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
Looks good, I like the cleaned up wiring and pump area.
Looking forward to the battery box pictures as well.
Is that a pure sine wave inverter? I ask because I had my first pure Sine inverter (xantrex Pro Sine 1800) in my last work vehicle and wasn't impressed with the amount of RF interference it put out, it also failed with in 2 months and the remote control panel never worked correctly even after the replacement.

Not knocking yours and I love the install I just never had any problems from my cheaper non Pure Sine wave inverters I have installed in other vehicles and I am trying to decide if it's worth it to get the Pure Sine or just get the cheaper chopped wave unit's. I suppose it will really matter how the TV/DirecTV receiver handles the non Pure Sine wave.
Do you have any experience with that?

It is a Xantrex unit and I'll admit I have not used it yet. It was actually a clearance item from my local Camping World store so it was a decent deal. I have noticed that they no longer carry their products but I have seen some of their products in used by several law enforcement agencies. I bought it at the begining of the summer with the intension of putting it in my popup. That never happened (traded it in) and figured I would try it in the Aerolite. I just picked up a remote panel for it yesterday.

I'll see how it goes and move on from there.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Texas
I think the Xantrex brand is a good one, I have used several of there non pure sine inverters in the past with good results even when abused, overloaded, under volted etc.

Either way your workmanship is great, I look forward to seeing the rest of your mods.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
I think the Xantrex brand is a good one, I have used several of there non pure sine inverters in the past with good results even when abused, overloaded, under volted etc.

Either way your workmanship is great, I look forward to seeing the rest of your mods.
I had a Xantrex 2400 watt, 12 volt inverter in my solar house for 20 years. The modified sine wave worked well with the computer monitors, the LCD TV, the DISH and DirecTV satellite receivers, the HughesNet Satellite Internet systems and the CFL lamps. One thing that didn't like the modified sine wave was the microwave. The micro didn't seem to cook really well. The cook times took several minutes longer than the posted times. It was a small and cheap micro so that might have been the problem. My Hunter ceiling fans worked well and were relatively quiet given the modified sine wave.

The Xantrex works well in my book. The 2400 didn't even squeak when I'd fire up the A/C and the smaller electronics such as laptop battery chargers never suffered any side effects of the modified sine wave.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #13

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I had a Xantrex 2400 watt, 12 volt inverter in my solar house for 20 years. The modified sine wave worked well with the computer monitors, the LCD TV, the DISH and DirecTV satellite receivers, the HughesNet Satellite Internet systems and the CFL lamps. One thing that didn't like the modified sine wave was the microwave. The micro didn't seem to cook really well. The cook times took several minutes longer than the posted times. It was a small and cheap micro so that might have been the problem. My Hunter ceiling fans worked well and were relatively quiet given the modified sine wave.

The Xantrex works well in my book. The 2400 didn't even squeak when I'd fire up the A/C and the smaller electronics such as laptop battery chargers never suffered any side effects of the modified sine wave.
They make a transfer switch which I was looking at but the current location of the inverter makes it prohibitive to hook up. Perhaps next year when I do my solar setup I might relocate the inverter but I was trying to keep it as close to the batteries as possible. I am running 1/0 gauge from the batteries to the buss bars they 2/0 to the inverter.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #14

Texas
For transfer switch duty I have been looking at reversible drum switches properly rated to act as a transfer switch. I don't know if I will end up buying a larger inverter than the 750 watt I already have and a 1 1/2 hp unit would work fine at that 15 amp load.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
One thing that didn't like the modified sine wave was the microwave. The micro didn't seem to cook really well. The cook times took several minutes longer than the posted times. It was a small and cheap micro so that might have been the problem.
I can agree with you on this issue, I have a small 700 watt unit in my truck and it did not like the modified wave unit, but I used it for 2.5 years almost daily like that, I just doubled the cook time.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #16

Delaware
My fourth battery box arrived today so I was able to finish my batteries. I used four 6 Volt 232AH batteries. So I have 464AH.
Batteries: U.S. Battery-US 2200 XC

I havent decided if I am going to cut the brackets to size or not. If I leave them as they sit, I can add two more batteries and increase my amp hours to 696.

Still need to add a battery monitor to the mix but that is going to wait a little while. My inverter will tell me what my volts is at the moment. I know it not ideal and not enough information but it will have to do for now.

I also cleaned up the wire for the power tongue jack. It was just kind of floating around. I put it in some loom and zip tied it in place.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #17

Texas
Well done, that looks great.

While doing some 6v and 12 v string research I came across the "diagonal" parallel wiring method. Honestly I've been doing low voltage wiring and repair for along time and have never heard of this or thought about it but after seeing the method and logic it makes sense. SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
After seeing this take on parallel wiring I will try to use the diagonal method from now on, the more complicated methods I don't believe would be worth it due to extra cabling cost and complexity.

I would like to do something similar with just the 2 6v batteries at the center and 2 of the inverter generators in the outboard locations. You could do something similar by shifting all your batts over one and putting one generator on the end for battery charging duties.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #18

Delaware
Quote:
Well done, that looks great.

While doing some 6v and 12 v string research I came across the "diagonal" parallel wiring method. Honestly I've been doing low voltage wiring and repair for along time and have never heard of this or thought about it but after seeing the method and logic it makes sense. SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
After seeing this take on parallel wiring I will try to use the diagonal method from now on, the more complicated methods I don't believe would be worth it due to extra cabling cost and complexity.

I would like to do something similar with just the 2 6v batteries at the center and 2 of the inverter generators in the outboard locations. You could do something similar by shifting all your batts over one and putting one generator on the end for battery charging duties.
Looks interesting. I would need to actually look at it and let it sink in (while not at work).

I used the recommendations of the battery manufacturer. Currently using configuration 2, but if I add two more batteries I will switch to 3. They is nice becasue it tells you what will happen (double voltage, double capacity).

U.S. Battery-Configurations

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #19

Delaware
Waiting on new parts

Ok, here is the list of comming items:

In my popup I was very close to ordering LEDs for all of the lights. Eight bulbs, not that bad but still could be quite expensive. Luckily I did not spend the money. Fast forward to the Aerolite, 26 bulbs and my head was spinning. Then I get a friendly email from Amazon. A sale...so I bit the bullet and ordered bulbs. Not the 25 a piece kind but I figured I would be the test case for all of you.

I ordered 12 sets: 12 sets of Gold Stars 92111802-12W LED Replacement Light Bulb 921/T15 Wedge base 120 Lumens 12v or 24v Natural White : Amazon.com : Automotive

and

2 sets: 2 sets of Gold Stars 92111802-02 LED Replacement Light Bulb 921/T15 Wedge base 120 Lumens 12v or 24v Natural White : Amazon.com : Automotive

They are in transit now and I will post pics once installed.

I also hate using leveling blocks ( I used a BAL leveler in with my popup). Currently the trailer is in my driveway leveled with blocks. I bought a second BAL leveler and was going to fabricate a handle to link the two together so they could be raised at the same time. I have found instances of this on the web and figured I would try it leaving my blocks for emergency use. Then I came accross the Anderson levelers. Watched the videos and again decided to be a test case. I returned my second unopened BAL leverl and ordered these. Amazon.com: Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler: Automotive

Again these are in transit.

Finally ordered a pair of BAL X-chocks. BAL x Chock 2 Pack 28012 RV camper Trailer | eBay

Much cheaper than Camping World and as usual, in transit.

We will see how everything works soon enough.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Looks interesting. I would need to actually look at it and let it sink in (while not at work).

I used the recommendations of the battery manufacturer. Currently using configuration 2, but if I add two more batteries I will switch to 3. They is nice because it tells you what will happen (double voltage, double capacity).

U.S. Battery-Configurations
If you followed there example exactly then you wired it correctly per the link I posted. The main point is to connect the trailer positive to one pair and the negative to the other on the opposite side. In the past I wouldn't have really considered this detail, I would just connect the cables to the nearest + or - in order of convince.