Add a remote switch for an inverter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Montana
Add a remote switch for an inverter

For those of us who boondock and use an inverter to create some 120V AC electricity from the batteries, you might like this mod. I have a couple of pure sine wave inverters. They are bargain inverters; however, I find them to work well enough and they satisfy my needs. We like to simply plug our shore power cord into the inverter outlet, shut our onboard converter off, and switch the fridge and water heater over to propane. That way the whole trailer acts just like when plugged into shore power and all the outlets are live. But I really wished I had a remote on/off switch for them so they could be conveniently shut off when not needed in order to minimize battery draw. So after some research and some experimentation, I tackled the project this weekend. I thought about taking pictures or video of the project, but ultimately didn't bother. I'm such a lousy solderer anyway that I wouldn't want my work documented! But I basically did exactly as this video describes for how to add a wireless switch to any inverter.

But I went with a wired connection to a standard rocker switch. If you're interested in doing this mod, I suggest watching this video for the basic idea. For wireless, do exactly as it describes. I didn't want a wireless one because the control module would always be pulling an additional parasitic draw. Plus I had regular 12V switches and wiring laying around…
I opened up both my inverters and connected wires from back of the existing on/off switches and ran that wire out of holes in the inverter housings. I cut those wires a few inches after they exited the inverters and spliced in a quick connector. I did this so that I could disconnect this wiring if the inverters need to come out of the trailer, and so I could hook a single remote switch up to either inverter. I originally thought I would wire up a switch for each inverter but decided that didn't make much sense since I can only plug the shore power cable into one inverter at a time anyway so there isn't a need to be able to operate them each independently. The remote switch is installed in the trailer interior and wired to the inverter location with the other side of the wiring quick connector at its end. I wired up the ground wire of the remote switch so that its LED comes on when it is activated. So each inverter can be controlled by either its original switch or the remote switch when it is connected to it. I'm proud, I think this is a pretty slick mod and will allow me to easily switch my inverter off from inside.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

New York
ewarnerusa - sorry but I don't see a link to a video....am I missing something?

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Montana
Huh, it shows up on my browser as an embedded video. Maybe that is turned off or blocked on your's. Here's the link.

EDIT: again it shows it as an embedded video instead of the link. If you still can't follow that link, go to Youtube and search for "how to add a wireless remote to any inverter" and watch the video by username knurlgnar24
Old 12-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

California
I see it with no problem
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

Florida
Great mod....
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Oklahoma
I use one of the RF systems on my LEDs over the table and couch except it's variable speed. I can adjust the LEDs according to my vision needs. I also have one over my bed for the reading lights, that way I don't have to twist around to turn the lights off when it's time to visit the sandman. I also have a wireless outlet in the house for the satellite modem. That way when it needs rebooted I don't have to go to the house to reboot it, I can do it from the hauler across the yard.
Wireless/RF stuff is a trick idea, saves a lot of steps!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I use one of the RF systems on my LEDs over the table and couch except it's variable speed. I can adjust the LEDs according to my vision needs. I also have one over my bed for the reading lights, that way I don't have to twist around to turn the lights off when it's time to visit the sandman. I also have a wireless outlet in the house for the satellite modem. That way when it needs rebooted I don't have to go to the house to reboot it, I can do it from the hauler across the yard.
Wireless/RF stuff is a trick idea, saves a lot of steps!
I have used those for several projects over the years. My last three pontoon boats were remotely steered with those. I could set up front with the guests while cruising but still be near the console if needed. I also designed
a beach buggy to haul our 'stuff' to the beach and controlled it with that type of remote.

I'm thinking seriously about a linear actuator to raise and lower our bed and may use one of those if I can't find a convenient place to locate a switch.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #8

New York
I see it is the second post

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter