3950 Voltage Solar Upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

Kentucky
3950 Voltage Solar Upgrade

So I haven't posted here to much. Just in the beginning of our solar project to the 3950 Voltage to get advice. Thought I would share what we have done over the past year.

Solar Cynergy Flexible Bendable 120 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel - 24 total (separated - 12 to each charge controller, 4 strings of 3 connected series-parallel)
AIMS 6000 WATT PURE SINE INVERTER CHARGER 24V
400 AMP In-Line Fuse
AIMS Remote Panel*for Inverter
AIMS Battery Temp Sensor
Interstate L-16HCL (420ah - 6V) - 4 total
Aims Power DC1600V32A2IO Solar PV DC Disconnect Switch - 2 total
MidNite Solar CLASSIC 150 Charge Controller - 2 total
Magnum Energy ME-AGS Automatic Generator Start - Set for 24v
80 AMP 24v to 12v Step Down Converter
Micro Air Soft Starts for AC Unit - 3 total
Transformer/Step Up Converter installed for the Gen

We can run one AC unit for about 6 hours. If we don't use the AC we can run the 5th wheel pretty much off battery the whole time with good sunlight and all throughout the night. Sometimes we start the gen just to top off the batteries right before bed (hour or two) depending on what we ran throughout the day. With the exception of the transformer for the gen, we did all the work ourselves. Thanks to those who helped with questions in the beginning.

campincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #2

Colorado
Nice solar system

Sounds like a really cool solar electric system. I'd love to see a picture of the roof and all those panels. What are you using for a battery monitor system?

leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #3

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
Sounds like a really cool solar electric system. I'd love to see a picture of the roof and all those panels. What are you using for a battery monitor system?
Thanks. Ill try to get a pic uploaded for you.

We use the AIMS Power remote panel that connects to the inverter to monitor the batteries and temperature. We are in the process of changing out the batteries to 8 Trojan L16-AGM 6v batteries. Just trying to manage the weight and space.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by campincaptain View Post
Thanks. Ill try to get a pic uploaded for you.

We use the AIMS Power remote panel that connects to the inverter to monitor the batteries and temperature. We are in the process of changing out the batteries to 8 Trojan L16-AGM 6v batteries. Just trying to manage the weight and space.
LOL. Manage weight. I have 4 six volt batteries up front and also stuffed a 7500 watt diesel generator in mine. Welded a back-channel cross member across the frame and no worries. Load it up! [emoji6]
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
LOL. Manage weight. I have 4 six volt batteries up front and also stuffed a 7500 watt diesel generator in mine. Welded a back-channel cross member across the frame and no worries. Load it up! [emoji6]
Oh we are LOL. I already had to weld a few braces under the battery compartment.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #6

Michigan
Here is the genny installed. Also store tools, grill stand and tables in there. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170510_134955.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	6198
Old 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

Kentucky
Here is a pic of the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0026.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6199  
Old 03-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by campincaptain View Post
Here is a pic of the top.
Wow! Can probably power my hometown with that setup!
Old 03-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #9

Colorado
really cool solar system

That is an amazing amount of panels. I used the Trojan L-16 for years, but made the jump to Battle Born Lithium several years ago and have never regretted it. In fact, it was a game changer for me as a full timer.

I have used the Aims inverters before, and had good luck with them. They are all actually built by Sigineer out of China, kind of fun to go look at their website
https://www.sigineer.com/

I found a great, American made, bluetooth battery monitor at a good price. It actually measures all the current in and out, and accurately calculates the SOC (state-of-charge). There is also a WIFI adaptor available.
https://www.leisuresolar.com/product...system-bt-dcpm

I really like what you have done with your solar system. Keep us posted as you update it.

Leisure-Lee
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #10

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
That is an amazing amount of panels. I used the Trojan L-16 for years, but made the jump to Battle Born Lithium several years ago and have never regretted it. In fact, it was a game changer for me as a full timer.

I have used the Aims inverters before, and had good luck with them. They are all actually built by Sigineer out of China, kind of fun to go look at their website
https://www.sigineer.com/

I found a great, American made, bluetooth battery monitor at a good price. It actually measures all the current in and out, and accurately calculates the SOC (state-of-charge). There is also a WIFI adaptor available.
https://www.leisuresolar.com/product...system-bt-dcpm

I really like what you have done with your solar system. Keep us posted as you update it.

Leisure-Lee
Thank you. Really appreciate it. Sounds like you have a good setup to. Forgot to mention we have a Midnite Solar shunt installed that also helps monitor the batterys.

I will check out the website you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #11

Washington
Wiring Schematic?

This is a great setup. I would love to see our wiring schematic and where you placed everything else in the rig. Any additional photos would be amazing.

I am thinking of building a shelf in the basement of my V3305 to house the solar equipment (expect batteries which are up front) to keep all the electrical off the floor where things could get wet from a leak.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #12

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
This is a great setup. I would love to see our wiring schematic and where you placed everything else in the rig. Any additional photos would be amazing.

I am thinking of building a shelf in the basement of my V3305 to house the solar equipment (expect batteries which are up front) to keep all the electrical off the floor where things could get wet from a leak.
Thank you. I'll try to get a few pics for you. I just mounted the two charge controllers to the wall of the storage unit opposite the side of the battery compartment. The inverter is mounted behind the other wall of the storage compartment. We just took the screws out took the wall down and have plenty of room to mount the inverter and hide a lot of the wiring back there.