Stupid move, paid the price - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Photography and Video Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Montana
Stupid move, paid the price

This weekend was supposed to be our first summer camp trip and first trip in a couple years due to busy times. In hindsight it was obvious that there was no way the trailer was going to make it down this short stretch of primitive road, but my eagerness blinded us and I wrecked the camper trying... No one was hurt, just my pride, and maybe it's time for a new camper. We'll see what insurance says. Bashed the front end in on a tree and sheared leaf spring mounts from the frame on the one side. If we are in the market for a new one, it will be much shorter to match our style of boondocking.
Enjoy the video of my misery...

Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

South Carolina
So sorry for your loss, what a story! But thanks for the timely reminder, ours is about the same size, and thanks for a great video!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Nevada
You forgot the subtitles in the video. (Before talkies)

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

Colorado
You don't have to go shorter...

You can build a set of steel "slides" for the very back of the trailer. Then if you start to drag, its on the steel slides not on the bottom of the trailer. That also allows the tires to come off the ground and help prevent spring damage.

Used to see them on trailers of all kinds...but not lately.

Its also good to have a "spotter" as you get closer to trees. My wife has accepted that position and is a great help!!

I'm also working on how to mount cameras to also me to see the top front corners and the front set of wheels so I know where I'm at!

Just a few thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

Montana
28' is too long to maneuver in tight quarters. The axles are flipped so dragging hasn't been an issue. The trailer frame does actually have protective brackets on the rear that do the dragging if it occurs.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Great video, get yourself one of those large ass toy haulers and you won't EVEN think about primitive anything!

Primitive to the 5ers is 30 amps!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #7

Montana
UPDATE:
Dealer says its repairable, wrote me up a quote, and insurance is approving the claim. Only it is two claims since the axle damage and body damage did not occur in the exact same incident. So double deductible for me! But at least I have insurance to pay for most of it.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Montana
Greetings from Kalispell, MT. We lived in Helena for about 3 years.
How about an update on your trailer? Did they get it fixed?
J&HinMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

Montana
It has been at the dealer for over a month, but on schedule for when they said they would work on it. I drove by today and see that it has been moved off the storage lot. So hopefully that means it's getting worked on.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #10

Illinois
While not as bad as yours, I too did something stupid. I've had my unit for a few months, but have only used it three times locally. This is our first over the road journey (Chicago to Sturgis). Did a few dumb things. First, it took me an hour to figure out why my fridge only worked on AC and not propane while at a gas stop. Like an idiot, I forgot that I had shut the battery off. Duh! Before figuring out that dumb ass move, I thought maybe there was air in the propane lines. Turned gas on the oven for a bit with the door shut. Opened it and then hit "Ignite". Burned all the hair off my arms and almost wet myself. Wife still laughing. Then had a major issue at CW. Couldn't put air in my rear tires of my new dually, so I had them install braided valve extenders (no rivet gun so I couldn't do it). The rocket scientists ran the lines on the outside of my wheels instead of behind! A one hour job turned into a five hour ordeal. Then finally arriving at Katmandu Campground in Sturgis (Great place, highly recommended), I forgot to block my wheels before disconnecting my trailer. 5th wheel fell off the hitch and crushed my Voltage steps. Also put a 6" scratch under my nose cap. The good news is, the steps, which are a PITA, saved my bed rails from getting crushed. No damage to my new truck thankfully. Steps are trashed but I don't really care. Ended up with a few hundred dollars in body damage to the cap on the 5th wheel but could have been so, so, much worse. A lot of lessons to learn. Bottom line, sitting on the patio having a strawberry daquiri in the afternoon sun . Life is good. With all of your guys' help, I'll get this down yet.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 AM   #11

Colorado
Rusty,

Well...despite it all...you made it to Sturgis! The 75th...that should be quite a show!!

Did it from 1983 to 2007...but out of biking now. Bad wreck in 2008.

Spent week before this in Cooke City, MT. Bikes headed over the Beartooth Highway like I couldn't believe!!

Going to be a big crowd!! Kinda wonder what the weather will be like!!

Post a couple pics of downtown and let us know what the weather does!!!

Pirate
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #12

Illinois
Ten day forecast looks great. While kind of new to RV camping, staying at a Sturgis RV park could leave a bad taste in your mouth. They really pack them in here, although the people are great and services are very good. We always rode out before, so with the dog and cats we won't be taking any overnight riding trips. I'll miss Chief Joseph and Beartooth. Like you, I've been coming for years. So far, crowd looks about the same, but it is early. I'll shoot out some photos mid-week.
PS. Glad you're a "survivor".
Rusty
Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #13

Colorado
Rusty,

Will be looking forward to hearing more!!!

Yeah, I'm a survivor...ain't no quitter. And just about over missing biking.

My RZR 800 is just about like a Harley...what you bought is just a place to start. I think its still 5% stock.

Voltage is becoming the same way. If I don't like it...change it to what I want...reliability!!

Pirate
Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

California
Pirate
Not sure your RZR 800 is like a Harley, never seen one with 4 wheels. Have seen a Harley with training wheel thought ( aka a trike )
Maybe I better not pick on the Harley folks they might make fun of my ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 650 Exc Burgman.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	2396

Yea it's a scooter............that is, a scooter on steroids.
650 cc top speed 110+................. faster then my guardian angel wants me to go
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #15

Colorado
Rusty, please!!! The only thing my RZR and one of my Harleys have in common is they are money pits!!!! I have to have a "passion" in my life. The RZR was quite a change from Harleys...but its given me lots of pleasure, lots of projects to improve performance and reliability and hours of interest on a forum. Keeps my brain engaged and keeps me enjoying life!

And if I get hit from behind by someone I'm riding with...I have four wheels, a roll cage, a four point harness...to keep me from being high sided and landing 15 feet away on my forehead.

Yup, that put an end to motorcycles and came way, way to close to putting an end to me!!

I can just see you on that thing cruising main street in Sturgis in the evening. Whew...

Pirate
Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
I quit riding two wheeled motorized quite a few years ago after one too many close calls. I still have a couple of scooters; 1984 Honda CH-125 and a 1978 Vespa Rallye 200. Neither one runs at the moment. I have a decent sized collection of two wheelers, bicycles. Most are some form or another of British 3 speed. According to the lead bean counter I have 35, but it is probably closer to 45 with the parts and frames, she was just counting whole ones.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 PM   #17

Colorado
Aaron,

Took me a little longer to quit...3 very, very near fatal wrecks. Not one my fault, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But you know, I've been asked, if I could go all the way back to 1968 and not buy that Honda Mini-Trail...and never ridden, thus none of the wrecks...would I do it?

Not a chance. The rides I've been on, the places I've seen, the friends I've made...worth every bit!!!

My two wheel piston count is zero, wheel count is two...on a bicycle I haven't ridden since, oh, I dunno, maybe 1988?? I don't think I'll ever ride it again...all the scars and impairments...I guarantee you, I don't look good in spandex shorts!!!

Pirate
Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 AM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
I don't do spandex... I am more of a Carhartt guy anyway. I ride my bikes in whatever is comfortable these days. Today it was Crocs, Columbia Shorts and a T-shirt...

Speaking of Honda Mini-trails... forgot I have a Trail 70 in the other shed, it does run. Needs some work though.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #19

Colorado
Oh, back in about 1970 or so, Dad thought the bikes would be a good family activity. My Mini-Trail, one of the Trail 70 machines and up to four of the Honda 90 trail.

Wonder what ever happened to all those machines after I went off to college?

I do know that we had a Kawasaki 100 that had the dual range trans like the Honda 90.

I see what you carry in the front basket...wouldn't want to get dehydrated eh?

We do have the Voltage Epic 3800 with the 14 ft garage...Polaris just announced the 2016 line-up. New XP1000 with 145 hp factory turbo motor. Jeez I wish they hadn't done that....

Oh, and I'm a Wrangler Riggs guy...Carhartt pockets aren't deep enough!

Pirate
Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #20

Illinois
Mike, the reason Pirate's new ride is like a Harley is that they are money pits. The cheapest part of owning one is buying it. You spend 20 grand on a new bike and then another 15 grand just to make it "right". With my new Voltage, I'm finding it's kind of the same! Like you Pirate, I would never give up my riding experiences. I've ridden my current bike through every state (obviously not Hawaii, although I did rent one and ride around Oahu). People I've met and things I've seen;... Right now I'm parked next to a M/C club from South Carolina roughing it living out of their cargo trailers. If you weren't a biker, they would scare the hell out of you. Nicest guys in the world, offering tools, Walmart runs, etc. Today, a ride thru Spearfish Canyon.
Rusty
PS. I like the way you travel Aaron.