Bought a drone - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #61

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
The sky cops also want to be able to scan a flying drone to determine who owns it for prosecution. Whenever the government gets involved in something it all goes to hades.

Yes it does. This all goes back to some moron flying his over people then posting it on YouTube. Now good ol uncle sam steps in and regulates it to hell.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #62

Florida
And written testing for hobby flying is right around the corner.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #63

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
And written testing for hobby flying is right around the corner.

Yes it is. I was just looking at that as well. SMH
Old 12-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #64
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Yes it does. This all goes back to some moron flying his over people then posting it on YouTube. Now good ol uncle sam steps in and regulates it to hell.
Yes, that is a problem. We have invasive drones on our property. The simple answer would be to make it legal to shoot them down if they are over your property. However that would open up another can of worms. I live immediately adjacent to an MOA (Military Operations Area) with a 500' minimum ceiling. There are clowns flying drones across it to my property. So far the government hasn't been impressed by my reports. We did shoot one overly aggressive one down.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #65

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Yes, that is a problem. We have invasive drones on our property. The simple answer would be to make it legal to shoot them down if they are over your property. However that would open up another can of worms. I live immediately adjacent to an MOA (Military Operations Area) with a 500' minimum ceiling. There are clowns flying drones across it to my property. So far the government hasn't been impressed by my reports. We did shoot one overly aggressive one down.

Aaron

Ahh I just had an image of Skeet Surfing from the movie Top Secret, only shooting drones instead of clay pigeons. LOL

The thing with shooting them is not that you shot it down, but that you discharged a firearm, and that is what they get you on.

So instead, a nice accurate paintball gun makes it more challenging and fun.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #66
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Ahh I just had an image of Skeet Surfing from the movie Top Secret, only shooting drones instead of clay pigeons. LOL

The thing with shooting them is not that you shot it down, but that you discharged a firearm, and that is what they get you on.

So instead, a nice accurate paintball gun makes it more challenging and fun.
I have 40+ acres and live in what used to be country. So far it isn't illegal to discharge firearms out here. In fact, on the day the drone died, we were up behind the barn at our private gun range. It went down with a 20ga turkey load, did the job just fine. One of our military friends took the remains to work with him and turned it into the base Provost. We never heard if anything came of it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #67

Illinois
LOL, yeah I live on 5 acres in the country and can carry and shoot without issue, provided I don't shoot towards a neighbor. I can also fly if I wanted too, but I have trees to avoid and the landing pattern does take it over my neighbors house, so I stopped flying my larger planes, and just fly a powered glider instead. I can fly that without being over their house. I don't have multirotors, just scale aircraft that the only failsafe is to cut power and neutral trim if the radio signal is lost, no return to start like a lost of multirotors now have so due diligence on my part to make sure all my gear is in top shape.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #68

Arizona
Actually it's a federal felony to shoot at ANY aircraft. Feds will come and get ya. Back in 1986 some Tucson moron shot at our police helicopter and we caught him after he bragged about it. Bullet went between the foot pedals. We gave him to the Feds and they made his life miserable.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #69

Illinois
There is also sovereign air space 365' above ones property. Lets see how the FAA treats that.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #70

Arizona
Quote:
There is also sovereign air space 365' above ones property. Lets see how the FAA treats that.
Source please because the FAA says they already own the airspace from the surface upwards. I'm a pilot and a retired cop and never heard of sovereign airspace that you mention. Here is the FAA definition of Class G airspace:

Uncontrolled airspace or Class G airspace is the portion of
the airspace that has not been designated as Class A, B, C,
D, or E. It is therefore designated uncontrolled airspace.
Class G airspace extends from the surface to the base of the
overlying Class E airspace. Although ATC has no authority
or responsibility to control air traffic, pilots should remember
there are visual flight rules (VFR) minimums that apply to
Class G airspace.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #71

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Source please.

United States vs Causby 28 U.S. 256, 266 (1946)
Old 01-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #72

South Carolina
Quote:
I studied Real Estate law many years ago. At that time. Air Space rights above property extended only to a height as might be reasonably expected to be utilized.

So downtown NYC It is reasonably expected to be skyscraper height.

At my home in the country. Something less. :-)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #73

Illinois
Some good information on this one, https://www.uniformlaws.org/HigherLo...f-7ea3b93c11f3

The sovereign airspace is treated much in the same was as land. You can be cited for trespassing if you fly a drone over someones property without permission within the 400' limit. It's no different than building a Cantilevered building that extends over the property line.

Skyscrapers OTOH go through permitting processes prior to being built, one of which is just how tall it can be so as to not impact air travel.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:01 AM   #74

Arizona
The FAA defines a helicopter an aircraft that is lifted and propelled by one or more horizontal rotors, each rotor consisting of two or more rotor blades. A drone is a helicopter by definition. The FAA also says that helicopters (drones) can fly lower than the minimum altitudes assigned to fixed wing aircraft so long as the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the
surface.

The argument about sovereign airspace above a home is total BS. Ever fly into San Diego airport? Airliners pass so low over homes that you expect to find laundry hanging from the landing gear. Do those homes have sovereign airspace? Apparently not. The United States has sovereign airspace which is under the control of the FAA, not individual homeowners. Can a homeowner under the landing path of an airport build a 300' tower for example? Not without the FAA approval.

So, it's time to get over it. Drones are here to stay. My hope is that drone pilots fly responsibly and not invade the privacy of others.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #75

Florida
Finally got some free time to make my maiden flight with my Mavic 2 pro. This thing is sweet! Love the smart controller but it will take me 6 months to figure out all the functions on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	org_85e6ab9cdee4b297_1577309758000.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	6099

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote

« Galveston, TX | - »