Bought a drone - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Photography and Video Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #21

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
This is my "drone". GPS is for sissies.

If you can fly one those. You are GOOD!

Have fun!

Old 09-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #22

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Yep understand that per my FAA licensing. Also limited to 400' elevation. But just like on all things, we want to see "what it'll do". I was out over the ocean so if I had lost it, it would have been my loss.

Does it count if it's at night and I can see my navigation lights miles out? [emoji16]

I hear you. No guts no glory
We have all pushed the envelope.

It is the idiots that fly into baseball stadiums and endanger fire fighting and such that will ruin the hobby for all.

Have fun!

Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I hear you. No guts no glory
We have all pushed the envelope.

It is the idiots that fly into baseball stadiums and endanger fire fighting and such that will ruin the hobby for all.

Have fun!
Agreed!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #24

South Carolina
Here is the most amazing DRONE VIDEO ever!
This guy is a PILOT! He is doing this using goggles for "first person video"

Watch it all you will be amazed. The best 5 minutes you will spend today out of bed Haha

https://youtu.be/nQDcDZ6rmGE
Old 09-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #25

Michigan
1wait until the race is over and the stands are empty...Click image for larger version

Name:	org_7264f0bae4f3345f_1565481568000.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	5849Click image for larger version

Name:	org_53dbaf17706989b7_1565481260000.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	5850
Old 09-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #26

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
1wait until the race is over and the stands are empty...Attachment 5849Attachment 5850

NASCAR Track?
Which one?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #27

Michigan
Quote:
NASCAR Track?
Which one?
Yes. Michigan last month
Old 09-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #28

Texas
Great pics Don.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #29

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
One thing about the Mavic is if I'm too close to an airport the motors won't start. If I'm flying, the software won't let me fly where I'm not supposed to be. Earlier this year we were 'camped' at the Walmart in Page, AZ for a night, which is located near a deep gorge of the Colorado River. I wanted to fly the 1/2 or so mile for a photo but the drone said I was too close to Page airport, which was 2.5 miles away in the opposite direction.

BTW I'm an Instrument rated Private Pilot.

I am a Model Aircraft hobbyist and fly from AMA sanctioned airfields, and am really upset that the AMA has grouped drones in with our model, line of sight, aircraft. Knowing that some drones now have this technology built in to prevent people from doing stupid things makes me feel a little better over "drones". If the AMA were to have a clear defined separation between flying fixed wing line of sight model aircraft and what we consider drones, which are aircraft that can fly out of line of sight with video, can hover, and be a danger to real airplanes, it would go a long way to making those of us who build and fly at AMA fields feel like the AMA is looking out for us and not the industry.

Thank you for explaining and being a responsible drone operator.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 AM   #30

Drone as well

We just bought the mavic air. Next 12 days we will be getting more flight time on it.
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #31

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
We just bought the mavic air. Next 12 days we will be getting more flight time on it.
Those get really good reviews. I think it's the smallest drone to have a 3 axis gimbal on it.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #32

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I am a Model Aircraft hobbyist and fly from AMA sanctioned airfields, and am really upset that the AMA has grouped drones in with our model, line of sight, aircraft. Knowing that some drones now have this technology built in to prevent people from doing stupid things makes me feel a little better over "drones". If the AMA were to have a clear defined separation between flying fixed wing line of sight model aircraft and what we consider drones, which are aircraft that can fly out of line of sight with video, can hover, and be a danger to real airplanes, it would go a long way to making those of us who build and fly at AMA fields feel like the AMA is looking out for us and not the industry.

Thank you for explaining and being a responsible drone operator.

I was an AMA member many years ago. I was flying home built model aircraft. I rarely flew at AMA sanctioned fields. I lived in the country in Texas. I just went to one of my neighbor rancher and farmers and asked permission to fly from one of their fields. They were ok as long as I stayed away from the livestock. I did want the AMA liability insurance.

The AMA is just like any other organization. The unions, political parties, AAA auto club, ARRL.....etc. They want more membership. Means more money. But also it means more clout to accomplish the mission.

DJI "drones" have had NFZ restrictions for several years. Nothing new. I fear that they may be becoming onerous in their zeal to protect themselves from legislation. But we shall see.

What industry do you think they are catering to and neglecting the membership? Curious as to what kind of separation you would like within the AMA. Everyone is a hobbyist.

Have fun yanking and banking!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #33

Illinois
Quote:
I was an AMA member many years ago. I was flying home built model aircraft. I rarely flew at AMA sanctioned fields. I lived in the country in Texas. I just went to one of my neighbor rancher and farmers and asked permission to fly from one of their fields. They were ok as long as I stayed away from the livestock. I did want the AMA liability insurance.

The AMA is just like any other organization. The unions, political parties, AAA auto club, ARRL.....etc. They want more membership. Means more money. But also it means more clout to accomplish the mission.

DJI "drones" have had NFZ restrictions for several years. Nothing new. I fear that they may be becoming onerous in their zeal to protect themselves from legislation. But we shall see.

What industry do you think they are catering to and neglecting the membership? Curious as to what kind of separation you would like within the AMA. Everyone is a hobbyist.

Have fun yanking and banking!

Reading the magazines they put out, and based on how they are lobbying with Congress, their focus is more on Quads and the like, and ignoring those of us who were the basis of the AMA to begin with. By lumping us in with the quads and the like, with non LOS capabilities has ham strung many fields and closed others due to their proximity to area airports.

All we are asking for, those of us who fly fixed wing and stare up at the sky to find our plane is to have a clear definition to what is considered a "drone" and a model airplane. To me a drone is a flying machine that can be flown non LOS, such as what the military uses, and what the multi rotors are now capable of doing. It was the actions of the irresponsible people who fly these devices in the paths of airplanes, or worse yet fly them in public areas where people could get seriously injured if struck by one. It's those morons who put a black mark on our hobby, and because of it, fixed wing that require a landing strip are also lumped into it and are forced into regulations that frankly aren't needed for what we do.

Some of what the FAA proposes is to have locator beacons, like IFF, installed in our airplanes. They want trackers to know who is flying and where.

The AMA came up with a set of guidelines decades ago, which most of the fixed wing crowd follow and adhere to, but instead of pushing that to Congress and standing up for us, it seems like they are letting the FAA take the reins and make up their own rules. If the AMA drew a clear line between LOS and NLOS, each with their own set of rules, that would make a lot of us happy.

Of course television commercials showing toy drones chasing people, or crashing into windows, doesn't help either.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #34

Tennessee
This thread was intended to be about quadcopters and camping pictures (that's why it's posted in the photography/video forum). If you want to gripe about quadcopter laws or operators, do it elsewhere.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #35

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Reading the magazines they put out, and based on how they are lobbying with Congress, their focus is more on Quads and the like, and ignoring those of us who were the basis of the AMA to begin with. By lumping us in with the quads and the like, with non LOS capabilities has ham strung many fields and closed others due to their proximity to area airports.

All we are asking for, those of us who fly fixed wing and stare up at the sky to find our plane is to have a clear definition to what is considered a "drone" and a model airplane. To me a drone is a flying machine that can be flown non LOS, such as what the military uses, and what the multi rotors are now capable of doing. It was the actions of the irresponsible people who fly these devices in the paths of airplanes, or worse yet fly them in public areas where people could get seriously injured if struck by one. It's those morons who put a black mark on our hobby, and because of it, fixed wing that require a landing strip are also lumped into it and are forced into regulations that frankly aren't needed for what we do.

Some of what the FAA proposes is to have locator beacons, like IFF, installed in our airplanes. They want trackers to know who is flying and where.

The AMA came up with a set of guidelines decades ago, which most of the fixed wing crowd follow and adhere to, but instead of pushing that to Congress and standing up for us, it seems like they are letting the FAA take the reins and make up their own rules. If the AMA drew a clear line between LOS and NLOS, each with their own set of rules, that would make a lot of us happy.

Of course television commercials showing toy drones chasing people, or crashing into windows, doesn't help either.

Ok, I hear you. I did not realize that the AMA was catering so much to drones. That is unfortunate based on who their traditional members were.

Hobbyist Drone pilots are supposed to remain in Visual LOS. But there are way to many idiots that do things way beyond the acceptable norm. They will end up ruining the hobby for everyone.

Oh well, it is up to smarter minds than mine to fix the problem. I am going to enjoy while I can and stay out of trouble.

Have fun!

And good luck!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #36

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
This thread was intended to be about quadcopters and camping pictures (that's why it's posted in the photography/video forum). If you want to gripe about quadcopter laws or operators, do it elsewhere.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #37

Tennessee
Quote:
What's your problem?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #38

Arizona
Attached Images

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 PM   #39

Illinois
Sorry for being on topic regarding drones. Maybe I should have talked about jay walkers instead.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #40

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
What's your problem?

Why do you ask? You seem to have a problem.

Nothing was directed at you. You were not mentioned. But you get on your high horse because some one mentions something "off topic" according to your august opinion.

There is an old axiom: "You don't like it change the channel."

« Galveston, TX | - »