The hijack thread and other assorted non camping related stories - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

British Columbia
The hijack thread and other assorted non camping related stories

My hope is to create someplace we can carry on the discussion, being as us incorrigibles tend to hijack threads. We really hijacked Tom's thread about the problems he's dealing with.

Let's get that thread back on track and carry on the discussions about those funky little post war European cars and some of the crazy projects that were tossed around.

Anybody want to go first. I have to go to town today, but when I get home, I,m going to see what Cars I've owned, wished I still owned or would have loved to own.

In the mean time, I see "Highway through Hell" has launched the new season. Given some of the idiotic things people have done on that road in the past year, it should be good for some grins and giggles. I don't normally watch "reality TV", but this show is too close to home and it displays just how stupid the city folk down at the coast are. They think the whole province has wet rainy weather like they get.

They come roaring up the highway, get themselves in trouble and then are trying to maneuver the deep snow and black ice in slippery city shoes, they don't have proper winter clothing, gloves, emergency supplies, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure the Rocky Mountain folks know what I'm talking about.

I hope we get to see the aftermath of the runaway semi, on a clear day and dry roads, that took out 11 vehicles, miraculously, no one was killed, no serious life threatening injuries. Just a bunch of torn up automobiles and a semi driver I suspect and hope is out of a job. Only two things could have gone wrong, his brakes were not adjusted or he just didn't know how to use his engine to brake.

If the moderators are OK with this, let the hijacking begin.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Texas
I've NEVER hijacked a thread. I find the practice despicable.

So I think this is a great idea.

Don't know if it will work though.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

California
Knowing forks around here it will probably get hijacked.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I've NEVER hijacked a thread. I find the practice despicable.

So I think this is a great idea.

I don't even know of what he speaks.

But, the other day the topic went to motorcycles and such. In the 50 plus years I've had some ponies under my butt I've had two three cylinder motorcycles. The Ram Air 380 cc Suzuki that I worked on a little, 90 mph in 5th gear but I never stretched it out in 6th because I got scared.
Then there was the 750 triple water cooled bike, that's the one I can't remember the name. Any help from the scooter trash crowd?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

California
GT750 Suzuki made 1971-1977 ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GT750
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
My hope is to create someplace we can carry on the discussion, being as us incorrigibles tend to hijack threads. We really hijacked Tom's thread about the problems he's dealing with.

Let's get that thread back on track and carry on the discussions about those funky little post war European cars and some of the crazy projects that were tossed around.

Anybody want to go first. I have to go to town today, but when I get home, I,m going to see what Cars I've owned, wished I still owned or would have loved to own.

In the mean time, I see "Highway through Hell" has launched the new season. Given some of the idiotic things people have done on that road in the past year, it should be good for some grins and giggles. I don't normally watch "reality TV", but this show is too close to home and it displays just how stupid the city folk down at the coast are. They think the whole province has wet rainy weather like they get.

They come roaring up the highway, get themselves in trouble and then are trying to maneuver the deep snow and black ice in slippery city shoes, they don't have proper winter clothing, gloves, emergency supplies, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure the Rocky Mountain folks know what I'm talking about.

I hope we get to see the aftermath of the runaway semi, on a clear day and dry roads, that took out 11 vehicles, miraculously, no one was killed, no serious life threatening injuries. Just a bunch of torn up automobiles and a semi driver I suspect and hope is out of a job. Only two things could have gone wrong, his brakes were not adjusted or he just didn't know how to use his engine to brake.

If the moderators are OK with this, let the hijacking begin.
Why aren't my olive trees producing any bannanas that I can haul to market in my F350srw? The batteries are fully charged but if I put LT tires on, will I still need to stratle the comode to get my direct tv to operate the passenger side awning?

How's that for hijacking?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I don't even know of what he speaks.

But, the other day the topic went to motorcycles and such. In the 50 plus years I've had some ponies under my butt I've had two three cylinder motorcycles. The Ram Air 380 cc Suzuki that I worked on a little, 90 mph in 5th gear but I never stretched it out in 6th because I got scared.
Then there was the 750 triple water cooled bike, that's the one I can't remember the name. Any help from the scooter trash crowd?
I was a "make-ready" kid at a Suzuki dealer when both of these bikes were released. I LOVED the 380 and its squared off cooling fins. The 2-cylynder Titan 500 2-stroke was the one that was selling the most, at the time.
The Water Buffalo was like science fiction to me. And shortly after that the Rotary Engine Suzuki. Then the first REAL race bike for the street. GSXR750.

Ah the golden memories. Can't believe I survived that era.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
GT750 Suzuki made 1971-1977 ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GT750
The pix I find look more like the Yamaha triple which is what has been floating around in the cavity up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha...aha_XS_750.jpg
Old 09-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
I was a "make-ready" kid at a Suzuki dealer when both of these bikes were released. I LOVED the 380 and its squared off cooling fins. The 2-cylynder Titan 500 2-stroke was the one that was selling the most, at the time.
The Water Buffalo was like science fiction to me. And shortly after that the Rotary Engine Suzuki. Then the first REAL race bike for the street. GSXR750.

Absolutely, the 380! I stuck in some WESCO pistons and, I think, Mikuni carbs, and some polishing and porting here and there.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Why aren't my olive trees producing any bannanas that I can haul to market in my F350srw? The batteries are fully charged but if I put LT tires on, will I still need to stratle the comode to get my direct tv to operate the passenger side awning?

How's that for hijacking?

That's funny and it almost makes sense.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:37 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:

Snake,

What year was the GSXR introduced?

I had on of the hot rod Yamaha 350 2 strokes, that thing Screemed. The front wheel just did not like to stay on the asphalt. Ican't remember the model, but it was a street bike, with the same engine used in the cafe racer that was cleaning up on the track. Man that thing went from 0 to , in a heart beat.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Snake,

It'll be a fun experiment.

Speaking of experiment, my next door neighbor brought his 2 seat golf cart home yesterday. He was willing to sell it to me, but it's just not long enough. The engine would be right between the the driver and passenger. That would be one Hot golf cart.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Snake,

What year was the GSXR introduced?

I had on of the hot rod Yamaha 350 2 strokes, that thing Screemed. The front wheel just did not like to stay on the asphalt. Ican't remember the model, but it was a street bike, with the same engine used in the cafe racer that was cleaning up on the track. Man that thing went from 0 to , in a heart beat.
I think 1985. So later than I remembered. Most of the 2-strokes we were nostalgically discussing were much earlier.

Here is the first bike that showed up with race-track clothing and a license plate. (you could order it with a dry-clutch if you intended to compete)

Old 10-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #14

Texas
The GT380 3 cylinder (72-77)

The Yamaha upped the performance

Old 10-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #15

Texas
But as Wahoonc (Aaron) mentioned......

Kawasaki showed up and it was game over.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #16

Texas
By the way, not to hijack the unhijackable thread, but it is FINALLY screen door weather down here in coastal Texas.

Never got to try out the screen door on this Aerolite before now. I love it!!!!

It's like when I was growing up.
And it really changes the indoor atmosphere.

Got down in the 60's last couple of nights. It's like free AC blowing IN, while you sleep.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #17

Nevada
Damm, don't have a picture of my 70's Honda 750, and my first HD Sporter
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #18

Texas
My mom divorced one of my stepdads, and a few weeks later I turned 16.
Happy Birthday to me. (Mom didn't know the difference from a CX70 and a CB750(K2)

I was finally somebody in the High School parking lot.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #19

British Columbia
Snake,

I remember them all, the Yamaha 400 was a punched out 350, the tank graphics were exactley the same. My 350 was a copper with a goldish cast to it.

I never really acuired an eye for the 3 cylinder bikes of any flag.

Good old Team Green, ya, not a fan, but they sure aquired a following.

When it comes to Honda there is only one product that I would ever buy now and that's a Big Red. Honda got themselves on my crap list by not taking an interest in helps me get a $.50 seal for an old Honda 90 I had kicking around.

I got a little too old for them crotch rockets when, I hit my 30's and already feeling the aches and pain of my misspent youth. Never should have done them Demo Derbies, but they were fun.

We're getting down to the mid-30s at night and a nice mid-sixties during the day. Shirt sleeve weather, it's a "dry cold." ��

Old 10-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #20

Texas
Well, none of those pics are of my actual bikes. Just internet stuff. The CB750 is the exact make, model, year & color though.
I broke the frame under the seat twice by jumping that bike on our neighborhood mx track. That was while mom was still married to that stepdad. He never caught me sneaking it out. He'd just get it re-welded and complain about the frame being not up to snuff.

I do love them iron horses though. Got a few still.

3 KTM's, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Yamaha, 1 Honda, 2 Suzukis
(technically 1 of the Suzuki's is my brothers to ride. Vstrom 1000)

It's a disease.