Day trip to Canada - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Georgia
Day trip to Canada

We plan to visit Washington State this year. We will be in Bellingham Wa. and my wife would like to make a day trip to Canada. Will we need a pass port or what other paperwork will we need? Any problem taking our two dogs? We will have up to date shots, paperwork etc. Regards, Jim

Tobler Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobler Creek View Post
We plan to visit Washington State this year. We will be in Bellingham Wa. and my wife would like to make a day trip to Canada. Will we need a pass port or what other paperwork will we need? Any problem taking our two dogs? We will have up to date shots, paperwork etc. Regards, Jim
Jim,

Yes, you will need your passport and vaccination certificates for your dogs to show they are upto date on their rabies vaccines. If you carry firearms, be sure to leave them in the US or you could be refused entry and/or have them seized.

When you arrive at the border take your sunglasses off before you get to the booth, if your driving a diesel, turn off the engine. Our border folks will ask you the usual questions about place of residency, citizenship, purpose of your visit and how long your staying. The CBSA officer may look in your vehicle through the windows or ask you to open any storage compartments.

You can check online at Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - Home, for current restrictions on things like food, or banned items, if that applies.

Really no different than the type of questions your Homeland Security folks ask, as you will learn on the return trip.

You should consider coming up for a few days, the lower mainland is a large chunk of real estate to try to navigate and see much in a day. Add to that the traffic delays, due to some big road and bridge construction projects getting underway.

Not to many places you can swim in the ocean, then within an hour be standing on an observation platform on the top of Grouse Mountain, looking out over the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf Islands.

There is a really nice RV park in Fort Langley, right beside the Fraser River. If your into history, there is the old Hudson's Bay Company Trading post with demonstrations and reenactments throughout the day.

If you PM me with what your interests are and things you might like to visit, I'll see if I can get the latest info on them and the traffic situation.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

Georgia
Thanks so much for the info. We were hoping we could bring all our necessary paperwork and get a Visa for a day visit. But I really understand. Things changed after 911 for everyone.
Tobler Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:36 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobler Creek View Post
Thanks so much for the info. We were hoping we could bring all our necessary paperwork and get a Visa for a day visit. But I really understand. Things changed after 911 for everyone.
You don't need a Visa, unless it's the credit card, them we will happily take.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:15 AM   #5

British Columbia
hddecker pretty much covered the border crossing scenario.If you bring your trailer up from Bellingham [ only worth it if you stay for more than a day IMO ] Derby Reach provincial park at the Fraser River is a great spot [ trains go about 10 times a day acroos the river and tooooting if that's bothersome ] close by historic old town Fort Langley.There's a large privately run RV camp there, Fort Camp.I suggest to make the trip to these camp sites during the week,weekends are usually packed with campers and hard to find available spots.Fort Camp, you better call for reservation, Derby Reach is first come first served.
RKS289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

Tennessee
I remember "back in the day" when we would go to Sarnia, we'd just roll the window down and say "we're here to go 5 pin bowling, eh", then drove right through.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I remember "back in the day" when we would go to Sarnia, we'd just roll the window down and say "we're here to go 5 pin bowling, eh", then drove right through.
And the officer would ask, "How long will you be in Canada, huh?"

Do you know why Canadians say "eh"?

It's the spelling of our country, Ca na da.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

California
In in the day when Loring AFB was still active in Maine, Heading up to Grand Falls was the rage as there were 3 bars/nightclubs up there to blow lots of money at and try to have a good time. At the border, the border officials on each side passed us thru without many questions at all. When I was dating a young lady up there, I even got on a first name basis with them (Canadian side). It was fun.
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsdas88 View Post
In in the day when Loring AFB was still active in Maine, Heading up to Grand Falls was the rage as there were 3 bars/nightclubs up there to blow lots of money at and try to have a good time. At the border, the border officials on each side passed us thru without many questions at all. When I was dating a young lady up there, I even got on a first name basis with them (Canadian side). It was fun.
Alan,

Was that in the days when our dollar was worth $1.25US?

Yep, they can be human and you can even find a comedian in the booth every once in a while. When we lived at the coast we did a lot of riding in WA, we get to Peace Arch headed south, the officer waves me forward to the booth. We get the usual questions and I just knew from the tone of his voice this guy was a comedian. He looks my bike over, couple of questions about the bike and he looks at the handle bars, pauses for a second, then asks if I'm smuggling maple syrup in there pointing at the bars. I laughed and said,"No, we buy our maple syrup in the US, it's way cheaper." He about peed himself and waved me through with a "Have a nice day."