3 weeks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

Florida
3 weeks

Today makes 3 weeks since hurricane Michael visited my door step and we are still without power. Our Tiffin motor home has literally been a life saver with that massive quite diesel generator.
Wife and I are getting close to tearing each other's heads off so it is time for a road trip!
After work this afternoon we are headed up to Jasper, IN area for a weekend then over to Ft. Lenard Wood, MO. for grandsons 5th birthday.

Maybe we will have power when we return.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #2

Colorado
Safe journeys and hope you return to power.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 PM   #3

Colorado
If you don't have power when you get home...get with the utility and ask about putting your electric under ground. Get with as many of your neighbors as you can and ask them to support the move. Might cost a bit, but it will save the utility and save you a lot of hassle.

Here in Colorado, just about every new housing development has all its utilities under ground. From the transmission line overhead...yeah, those big steel towers don't get knocked down very often, the power drops to a substation and if everything from there is underground...you're not without power very often!

Another thing utilities are slow to ask about and implement. If there is an ordered evacuation, then the deadline hour for evacuating should be the hour the power gets turned off. Then you don't see all those transformers being damaged when they go to ground and the sparks fly. If you didn't evacuate...well, you're in the dark until after the evacuation ends.

Pirate...yes an old electric utility engineer on the power house side!
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #4

Florida
Great ideas Pirate, except.....
1. My closest neighbor is a mile and a half up the road, so I am lucky that my electric coop even runs power to me because none of the 3 cable providers in our country will not even think of giving me cable.
2. The subdivisions in town which did have buried power lines, suffered just as bad of a power hit because of the thousands of Live Oak trees that were uprooted and pulled the power lines up too.
You might have heard of all the bad press that Verison Wireless got during this storm, the root cause (pun intended ) of their problems were copious amounts of breaks in their fiber lines which were buried prior to this storm and pulled up like plates of spaghetti thrown into a ceiling fan.
So the bottom line is Mother Nature is just like any other women, if she wants it, she is going to get it!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Today makes 3 weeks since hurricane Michael visited my door step and we are still without power. Our Tiffin motor home has literally been a life saver with that massive quite diesel generator.
Wife and I are getting close to tearing each other's heads off so it is time for a road trip!
After work this afternoon we are headed up to Jasper, IN area for a weekend then over to Ft. Lenard Wood, MO. for grandsons 5th birthday.

Maybe we will have power when we return.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah its time for a road trip for sure! The "war department" and I would not be good after 3 weeks of no power.

Enjoy and best of luck.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:12 AM   #6

Florida
God speed in your journey.

Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote