CW/Good Sam Rally Phoenix Feb-Mar 2015 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Rallies, Events and Get Togethers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #1

South Carolina
CW/Good Sam Rally Phoenix Feb-Mar 2015

Just saw an email on this. Looks kind of neat. Most sites are no hookups, or some electric only. Water and honey pot service may be available. Anybody been to one of these? If so, tell us about it. I'd like to make a trip from SC to AZ for other reasons, this might just be what I need to do it.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #2

California
I've been to two different ones. One in Bend Oregon & the other in Gillette Wy. Enjoyed both & well worth going to. We didn't use any of the electric sites just boondocked at both ones. If heading out to Az. at that time of year I would recommend going.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

Wyoming
The event is is conjunction with the NASCAR Sprint Cup race that same weekend at Phoenix Int'l Raceway. The race that weekend is called the Camping World 500. And as many of you know, Marcus Lemonis (The Profit & Shark Tank on CNBC) is the CEO of Camping World and Good Sam. As such, he sees this as a great opportunity to bring the 2 worlds of NASCAR and RV'ers together... thus, the rally.

I attended the February race there last year, and there was a mini- RV show on site then. CW dealers from all over the area had brought about 100 different rigs to the track, and foot-traffic there was quite heavy. So I guess they figure holding a big rally there will be even better.

For anyone considering going... just a few things you might wanna know:

As others have stated... there are virtually NO hookups available. PIR does have some electrical sites available (less than 50?), but they were reserved long ago... and I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that there are none left. And as far as I know (I could be wrong), PIR has no dump stations available on site.

The sites are not wooded. They're located in basically open, dirt fields that are usually used as overflow parking areas.

I guess what I'm saying is... don't expect anything fancy at all, and expect to be completely self-sustaining for the 4 days of the event. And I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing... just wanting you to know what you'll be in for.

Since I'm staying in the Phoenix area again this winter, I may stop by over there for a day... but I sure as hell won't be towing my rig over there for the rally, as boondocking in an open field with hundreds of others is not my idea of fun.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

South Carolina
Thanks, Tom. Rallies are big enough, without merging it with a NASCAR big event also. I've seen such "out in the field" sites, they remind me of the Buffalo Chip campground at Sturgis during my motorcycle days. No thanks, I agree. My only interest was seeing all the new rigs. I'll catch an RV show in some city instead, and park at the nearest KOA.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote