Water heater won't stop! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Boondocking - Dry Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 02:56 AM   #1

Colorado
Water heater won't stop!

Hi guys,

I bought a Coleman 244BH about 2-3 months ago (2016 first owner) and the first time I used I noticed that as usual when the water heater reach the hot temperature they go off until needs to heat again.

The second time I used the RV I noticed the water heater didn't went off for more than half hour until I decided to turn the switch off, worried that something is not right. The temperature outside was in the 65-70 degrees.

Any idea? I'm trying to avoid use Camping World warranty service (where I bought the RV) because my experience is not been pleasant at all plus another Coleman owner told me that they have the same issue the the Camping Workd warranty representative told him that Thad was usual/normal.

I'm thinking that should be something simple that I can fix

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:38 AM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by colopr View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a Coleman 244BH about 2-3 months ago (2016 first owner) and the first time I used I noticed that as usual when the water heater reach the hot temperature they go off until needs to heat again.

The second time I used the RV I noticed the water heater didn't went off for more than half hour until I decided to turn the switch off, worried that something is not right. The temperature outside was in the 65-70 degrees.

Any idea? I'm trying to avoid use Camping World warranty service (where I bought the RV) because my experience is not been pleasant at all plus another Coleman owner told me that they have the same issue the the Camping Workd warranty representative told him that Thad was usual/normal.

I'm thinking that should be something simple that I can fix

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

I'm going to guess that you are running it on propane (gas) since you wouldn't be able to tell if an electric element was on or off.
Sometimes it does take a while. If you were running campsite water from underground and filled up the tank, it could be quite cold before heating, and does take a while. It's hard to tell by output temperature, since RV water heaters are set so high it would take a cooking thermometer to tell what temp the water output is.
It is possible the high temp limit switch (thermos switch) failed, but that's a warranty repair, not something you want to do.
Give it another try. Time it. Run hot water into a coffee cup, and measure temp with a cooking thermometer. I don't know exactly what they are set for, but I'd guess 140 to 180. If it REALLY gets hot, the overpressure valve is supposed to release excess pressure (from boiling).
Try to develop a good relationship with the CW repair folks. You might need them for something larger than this someday.
Good luck

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I'm going to guess that you are running it on propane (gas) since you wouldn't be able to tell if an electric element was on or off.

Sometimes it does take a while. If you were running campsite water from underground and filled up the tank, it could be quite cold before heating, and does take a while. It's hard to tell by output temperature, since RV water heaters are set so high it would take a cooking thermometer to tell what temp the water output is.

It is possible the high temp limit switch (thermos switch) failed, but that's a warranty repair, not something you want to do.

Give it another try. Time it. Run hot water into a coffee cup, and measure temp with a cooking thermometer. I don't know exactly what they are set for, but I'd guess 140 to 180. If it REALLY gets hot, the overpressure valve is supposed to release excess pressure (from boiling).

Try to develop a good relationship with the CW repair folks. You might need them for something larger than this someday.

Good luck

Thanks MartyG,

Yes, is a propane water heater. Well, you gave me some piece of mind because I didn't realize that if boils the over pressure valve is going to protect the system from burn or blow up. Is a 6 gallons tank, do you have an idea how long should take to heat the water in average? Half hour, 1 hour, 3 hours? Because like I said, the first time and used and my previous experience with a Popup with the same water heater was about 10-15 minutes.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Michigan
Just a thought but are the water heater winterize valves in the proper position? Same for out side shower handles in the off position? Wondering if there is a "mixing" issue taking place...
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Just a thought but are the water heater winterize valves in the proper position? Same for out side shower handles in the off position? Wondering if there is a "mixing" issue taking place...

Good point, yes, they are in the proper position, I de-winterize it. I don't have an external shower.
Anyways I'm going to check the valves again when go camping this Friday because if my memory don't fail I remember only one valve.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by colopr View Post
Thanks MartyG,

Yes, is a propane water heater. Well, you gave me some piece of mind because I didn't realize that if boils the over pressure valve is going to protect the system from burn or blow up. Is a 6 gallons tank, do you have an idea how long should take to heat the water in average? Half hour, 1 hour, 3 hours? Because like I said, the first time and used and my previous experience with a Popup with the same water heater was about 10-15 minutes.

I have a 6 gallon on my motorhome I think the longest it has taken to from cold to shut off is around 45 minutes, but that was starting with water that was probably around 40 degrees. It should shut off, or the relief valve will blow. I would run it until one or the other happens.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:28 AM   #7

Nevada
Do you have an out door shower? If so the mixing valve is open. (out door faucet)

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 AM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Do you have an out door shower? If so the mixing valve is open. (out door faucet)

Nop I don't