Boondocking in or around Quartzsite AZ, this winter 2020 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Boondocking - Dry Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Washington
Boondocking in or around Quartzsite AZ, this winter 2020

Howdy All,

Last winter we had our first experience long term camping at an nice RV campground in Quartzsite. I have now set my toy hauler up with 1,410 watts of solar power so I'd like to do some boondocking and SxS driving this winter starting late January of 2020.

I have boondocked in the past for a few days but this year we would like to go for weeks at a time probably moving every two weeks to RV campground to dump tanks, do laundry, grocery shop, etc then head back out to a boondocking site.

Any suggestion will be most appreciated, thanks.

Dave

Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Florida
your Tow Vehicle always amazes me. even more, can you get that rig into (and out of) the boondock sites?

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
your Tow Vehicle always amazes me. even more, can you get that rig into (and out of) the boondock sites?
Howdy Frank,

If the ground is SOLID, not muddy, not soft sand I can drive around the typical boondock areas with no problem. My truck weighs LESS then the bigger motor homes its around 22,000 pounds with the Smart Car, on the rear deck. What really amazes most folks is how I can put my trailer into RV slots in campgrounds that many can't get into when their driving a pickup with a 5th wheel trailer.

Dave
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52 AM   #4

South Dakota
Check with folks around there. I was told there were several outfits that would come to you, pump your black water and deliver potable water if needed.
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Frank,

If the ground is SOLID, not muddy, not soft sand I can drive around the typical boondock areas with no problem. My truck weighs LESS then the bigger motor homes its around 22,000 pounds with the Smart Car, on the rear deck. What really amazes most folks is how I can put my trailer into RV slots in campgrounds that many can't get into when their driving a pickup with a 5th wheel trailer.

Dave
Wow Dave, that's amazing. You probably get pretty good fuel mileage since a rig that large would hardly even recognize a load like you have there. Did you have to make any adjustments to the 5th wheel so it would adapt to the smaller size king pin? I think I remember a post way back where you posted a bunch of pics of your rig...
franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #6

California
We love to take our TH to California City which is near Mojave. There are great trails that go for miles that we ride our 4 seat RZR and motorcycles. It is all dry camping with a handful of designated spots and unlimited “create your own” spots. The town has stores for food etc and there is a dump station right where you buy your tags and season pass.

The only downside for you is there is some soft dirt areas but I think you could camp fairly close to the main roads and avoid them.

Also, might be a little boring for two weeks or so as we typically just do two or maybe three nights.

Not sure if you want to venture this far west but just from a riding standpoint it is hard to beat.