Xtend A Room .. good & bad ? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Ontario
Xtend A Room .. good & bad ?

Just wonder if anyone has any comment both good & bad reference Xtend A Room ?

Xtend-A-Room: Standard - Dometic 954086.000 - Patio Awning Rooms - Camping World

xtanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

Florida
Installed mine today. Took longer than expected. Going to use it this next weekend. We'll see how it works.

bankshot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankshot12 View Post
Installed mine today. Took longer than expected. Going to use it this next weekend. We'll see how it works.
How long was "too long"? Once installed, how hard is it to reset up/take down. What happens with it if you don't want to use it at a particular site? Is it in the way? Does it fully remove and get stored? Or does it stay attached in some way?
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

Ontario
We were also looking at getting one for our side awning: Vacation’r Room- 20' - 21' - Carefree of Colorado 292000 - Patio Awning Rooms - Camping World
and wondering if they are problematic and how long they take to put up and take down. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #5

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
We were also looking at getting one for our side awning: Vacation’r Room- 20' - 21' - Carefree of Colorado 292000 - Patio Awning Rooms - Camping World
and wondering if they are problematic and how long they take to put up and take down. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I would use you camper some before trying it out. Our awnings are highly susceptible to wind and I would be a little concerned about the added weight. If you get it, let me know how it goes, looks like a good idea.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
I would use you camper some before trying it out. Our awnings are highly susceptible to wind and I would be a little concerned about the added weight. If you get it, let me know how it goes, looks like a good idea.
Thanks Eric, will do. We certainly would not get one this year as they are quite pricey for the good ones so we will be going the year before deciding. Will let you know if we decide to go for it and how it goes.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
I have not had an extend a room since my pop up days. Our rule of thumb with it then was we had to be camping at least 3+ days before we put it up. We didn't normally bother with it for weekends. The awning on the popup was a bag style where you had to put down poles and guy lines, so putting up the room actually helped stabilize it. Another thing we had done to it was modify it so we could put clear shower curtains in it to block wind in the late seasons. Somewhere I have a picture of it set up with Christmas lights on it.

Currently I use an E-Z Up Shelter and have screen and hard sides for it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

Florida
Add a room

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
How long was "too long"? Once installed, how hard is it to reset up/take down. What happens with it if you don't want to use it at a particular site? Is it in the way? Does it fully remove and get stored? Or does it stay attached in some way?
Sorry It took so long to get back to you. Install took 3 hours. Did it by myself. Need 2nd person, saves lots of time. Set up and take down are pretty easy. Again better with 2. After a couple of times when pretty smooth. Can roll it up out of the way and just use the patio. It velcro's to the top and sides. Comes with storage bag. Wife loved it. Looking forward to using it over the july 4th weekend in the mountains. Pics taken at Beverly Beach Camptown, Fl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-30 08.44.23.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-30 08.45.27.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2011   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-30 09.14.48.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2012  
Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Sorry It took so long to get back to you. Install took 3 hours. Did it by myself. Need 2nd person, saves lots of time. Set up and take down are pretty easy. Again better with 2. After a couple of times when pretty smooth. Can roll it up out of the way and just use the patio. It velcro's to the top and sides. Comes with storage bag. Wife loved it. Looking forward to using it over the july 4th weekend in the mountains. Pics taken at Beverly Beach Camptown, Fl.

Looks like the attached Voltage awning it not used when the room is set up.
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
Looks like the attached Voltage awning it not used when the room is set up.
I didn't have it out when i took the pics. Put it out later in the day to keep the sun off.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
looks great

jetboatrich is offline   Reply With Quote