Wiring through the pin hitch???? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #1

California
Wiring through the pin hitch????

has anyone ever tried wiring through the pin hitch? I followed the factory 7 pin up through a hole but I keep hitting a wall from their, I want to add another 7 pin so I can hook up cameras without using wireless

mscaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Dunno, you might be hitting a bulkhead or some other structural member.
I think the key question is, where would you go from there providing you managed to get where you think you want to go?

If you fancy running wires for cameras using ceiling cavities you no doubt will run into more problems.

After market toys that require wires aren't all that easy to install.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

California
Ive already got the wiring throughout the trailer ran, the hitch is my only issue
Old 02-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #4

wow.. tell us how u managed to run the wires in the ceiling without tearing it all apart
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #5

California
I ran all new speaker wires through the ceiling, it was a pain, basically I fished from light to light until I got all the wiring where I needed it to go, I did have to put two holes in the roof which I ended up putting deck plates in so they look like it belonged. the cameras are all done low on the side of the trailter and ran underneath
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
I run a wire for my backup lights to the junction box on the pin box from inside the storage compartment a while back. I tried using my old metal fish tape and couldn’t get it to go through, kept hitting something..?.. So, I had a leftover piece of ¼” polyflow tubing from the airbag install on the old truck. For whatever reason it went through no problem. Pulled the wire in using that as a fish tape.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:46 AM   #7

California
What is your tow vehicle. You might consider the new 12 pin connector that Ford just came out with. Ford is using this new 12 pin connector to connect the trailer camera and trailer TPMS to the truck using a wired connection. The advantage to the 12 pin connector is that you wont get confused on which 7 pin connector to plug into which port. Just a thought.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:25 AM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mohon View Post
What is your tow vehicle. You might consider the new 12 pin connector that Ford just came out with. Ford is using this new 12 pin connector to connect the trailer camera and trailer TPMS to the truck using a wired connection. The advantage to the 12 pin connector is that you wont get confused on which 7 pin connector to plug into which port. Just a thought.
I've heard about this Ford 12-pin for a while, and can't find anything on it. Would like to see a picture and a pin diagram. All I find online is an Australian type. Anybody got a link?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #9

Alberta
Selling my 12 pin system with camera and TPMS System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I've heard about this Ford 12-pin for a while, and can't find anything on it. Would like to see a picture and a pin diagram. All I find online is an Australian type. Anybody got a link?
I went and bought the new 2017 F350 and it came with the 12 pin set up with rear view camera and TPMS system for the trailer . I don't need / want it and will be selling it for $700.00 Retails for $1400.00 from FORD
2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

California
I tried this for 2 hours yeterday and couldnt get anywhere... I tried polyflow, a long wiretie and a rod we use in home audio... couldnt get the wire through

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I run a wire for my backup lights to the junction box on the pin box from inside the storage compartment a while back. I tried using my old metal fish tape and couldn’t get it to go through, kept hitting something..?.. So, I had a leftover piece of ¼” polyflow tubing from the airbag install on the old truck. For whatever reason it went through no problem. Pulled the wire in using that as a fish tape.