Winter trip question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

Colorado
Winter trip question

So leaving cold Southern Colorado for Arizona the end of next week...and have a couple of questions. An yes, there's probably something in that filing cabinet of paper that came with our 2014 Voltage Epic III 3800...but I'm a little busy to spend a lot of time digging...so I thought I would ask.

We'll be spending two nights in an RV park in Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe is at about 7000 ft elevation. So pretty sure the night time temps will be below freezing.

So, should we use their facilities and not water up the trailer?

If I hook up to City water, will water get to the trailer water pump? And perhaps cause freezing and breaking problems?

I'm aware that all the water supply tubing in the Voltage is PEX, but does it have enough "swell" capability to prevent splitting if the water freezes?

Is leaving faucets dripping enough to prevent PEX tubing from freezing under winter conditions?

I understand, I think, that the Voltage as "tank heaters". What the heck is that referring to?

Would surely appreciate help deciding what approach to take.

Thanks all,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

Colorado
Looking at the forecast you will have hard freeze at night. IF you have tank heaters, and use your furnace I would think you will be OK overnight as the belly receives some heat from the furnace. I would not leave CO with any water. Just put some in your tank when you get to Santa fe. Where are you headed in AZ?

4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

Colorado
Nope, not going to put any water in the fresh water tank this trip. No boondocking.

The electrical panel...under the Living Area TV has three tank heater switches. Hmmm...
1-fresh water tank, 2-grey water tanks, 2-black water tanks. Any ideas on which is which?

Guarantee we will be using the furnace. Propane tanks will be full when we leave.

But thinking of using the "city water" connection to the RV, and hoping the check valve works to keep water out of the pump.

We're headed to the Arizonian RV park outside of Gold Camp for two weeks then up to the Rancho Sedona RV park for two weeks and then home.

Pirate
Old 01-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Texas
Not sure, but wouldn't the check be between the pump and the fresh water tank?

(Not sure why I see it that way in my head)

But if so, the pump is wet all the time. Or at least the pressure sensor would need to be, right? I just assume the pressure is measured AT the pump with city water, thus not turning the pump on.

Boondocker going camping plugged in!
Causes all kinds of new questions.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
What I do in weather like you are planning on; is use city water as long as it is above freezing, put some water in the fresh water tank for overnight toilet flushing etc. Pull my outside hose at night when it is going to be the coldest. Run the furnace and the tank heaters.

Or do bother with the water and use the campground facilities.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #6

Tennessee
Pex can freeze, but those cheap plastic elbows will break. My RV mechanic told me to do like Aaron mentioned, put a little in the freshwater tank for nighttime and disconnect and drain the city water hose at night. After draining the water tank he said to just run the water pump for a few seconds and it would clear itself enough not to be damaged.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:31 AM   #7

Colorado
So I'm thinking, since we only use the big bathroom off the bedroom...is do like we did at my folks cabin for years. Put a partially full 5 gallon bucket of water in the shower, along with a coffee can as a dipper and use that to flush the toilet at night. With a 48 gallon black water tank under the bathroom...what difference does putting a few gallons in it? So it freezes...ain't gonna damage anything? And I can surely wait four days to get to Arizona, then hook up and get things going and drained.

And then blow everything out before we leave Sedona for home.

I'll ask again...any ideas which tank heater switch goes to which tank?

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
So I'm thinking, since we only use the big bathroom off the bedroom...is do like we did at my folks cabin for years. Put a partially full 5 gallon bucket of water in the shower, along with a coffee can as a dipper and use that to flush the toilet at night. With a 48 gallon black water tank under the bathroom...what difference does putting a few gallons in it? So it freezes...ain't gonna damage anything? And I can surely wait four days to get to Arizona, then hook up and get things going and drained.

And then blow everything out before we leave Sedona for home.

I'll ask again...any ideas which tank heater switch goes to which tank?

Thanks,

Pirate
Pirate - can't be sure if it is the same for yours or mine but see post #25 here: http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ge-2380-3.html
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #9

Maryland
I am not moving around, but Last year I used a heated water hose and with heat running, I've been good into the low teens. My half bath did freeze up once, now I leave the door open so theat will make its way in there.

This year we added a skirt that goes on/off quickly. Floor has been nice and warm this year and my propane use has been greatly reduced.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote