Winter Projects on the Rig... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Wyoming
Winter Projects on the Rig...

Being a new RV'er this past year has been a truly educational experience. I knew going in that there'd obviously be a 'learning curve'... but not sure I was expecting some of the issues that came up. Some major, some minor... but looking back, all-in-all I don't reckon it was too bad.

Still.. while I was out & about, I kept a running list of little things that I wanted to do this off-season... and this past week I managed to finally get to some of them.

First off, I finally tackled the A/C issues that have been well documented in another thread. The details of my work there can be found in it.

Next... well, it was time to replace the mattress in the bedroom. The one that came with the unit was the 'upgrade' memory foam model... but, well... the only 'memory' it had was to sag in the center each night. I corrected that by replacing it with a new TempurPedic model last week. After having slept in it for 3 nights now... I think that's going to work out just nicely.

Moving to the main cabin... I've decided that I'm going to remove the leather reclining sofa unit, and replace it with a 2-place TV-chair and table combination. Since I'm a solo RV'er... I don't really have a need to have seating for 4. Plus, having a small table to either use as a desk or a dinette will be nice. That project is next on my list, and I'll get to it sometime before Christmas.

Finally, we get to the garage... the main focus of my to-do list, and the items which I've completed this week.

I'd already installed a washer/dryer combo unit last summer. It didn't take me but a couple weeks on the road to decide this was going to be a very convenient option. But it seemed I kept ending u[ using the top of it as a table for all of the other little things I brought along each trip. So, it was time to get them up & out of the way.

First off were my tie-downs that I use for the motorcycle. I already had a couple of small wall holders for them, and found that the side of the TV console above the washer/dryer was the exact size I needed. So it got installed there:

As you can see in that picture, I also carry a small electric leaf blower when I travel. It's not only great for easily keeping the front patio/picnic area of the rig nice & clean... but also works great on keeping the floor of the garage clean. No sweeping or vacuuming needed. So I created a small charging station for it (and other things) over against the wall by the back door... and mounted a hanger for the blower. I also mounted a simple hanging rack, which holds my broom and the ramp-door awning handle:

Next on my list was a place to hang the charging mount for my little Dirt Devil hand-vac... which fit nicely below the TV console and above the dryer:

Finally, I needed a place to hang my Trailer-Aid. Trailer-Aid

For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a great tool to have if you need to change a tire on your rig. A few years ago, I helped a friend change a flat on his enclosed trailer with one of these... and it was much easier than fussing with a jack. After that, I went right out and bought one. The only trouble with it is... it's one of those tools that are simply a PITA to store until you really need it.

Fortunately they also make a wall-hanging accessory to keep the thing out of your way. So now I just needed a place to install it. Well, I found the area between the rear door & the Happi-Jack bed rail was just wide enough for the purpose. And a test of lowering the bottom couch/bed confirmed it:

So that's all for now. I've got a few other little items on my list... but either haven't quite come up with solutions for them yet, or simply haven't gotten to them yet.

So what's been your little winter projects?? I can always use ore ideas.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #2

New York
Well since our toyhauler is put away for the winter - I guess some of the ideas you posted will have to wait until May!

I really like the holder for the Trailer Aid! Gotta put that onto Leo's honey-do list!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #3

Texas
Great ideas! Thanks for shaing.
jfelliott is offline   Reply With Quote