Where do you put the DISH receiver? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #1

California
Where do you put the DISH receiver?

Hello, new member here. I have a question and am putting it out there hoping for some good advice! I have a 2013 V3200. I have not found a suitable location to put the DISH box in my coach. It does not fit where the other electronics are mounted (DVD player, etc.). It fits on the cabinet shelf, but sticks out to far to close the door. Any help would greatly be appreciated......

Captain I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #2

I also have the same camper you have. My box just fits into the lower shelf of the electronics cabinet. I kinda have to force it into the space. I do have to open the cabinet door to change channels on the DTV box. Other than that you will probably have to either get a smaller box or get rid of the door. aarrrrrr.. it sucks how they designed that opening.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #3

California
I have the vip211k receiver that is made for RV travel. Do you have a different receiver that you use? Thank you....Bob
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Oklahoma
It's a simple solution. If you have the Samsumg DVD/radio/surround sound component on the lower shelf you will see they had to remove the wall covering behind the unit. They also had to cut away some of the wall stud to facilitate the install process.

I did the same thing to install the DirecTV sd receiver on the middle shelf. I had to drill acess holes in the side wall to run the necessary wires to the TV.

For remote contol access ( with doors closed), just a simple remote control extender works and fits inside the cabinet. The pick up receiver fits nicely on the cabinet stile, right below the TV.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #5

Indiana
May I ask what a remote control extender looks like and does it stick out from the entertainment center door?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
May I ask what a remote control extender looks like and does it stick out from the entertainment center door?
New 1 Receiver 4 Emitter for Infrared Repeater Remote Control Extender Black WST | eBay

This is what I've been using. I have the six way but only use one of the emitter/repeaters because the DTV remote will operate the STB and the TV so I only need one to operate the DVD unit which has the IR receiver hidden by the door.

Bascially what you have is a small black IR receiver mounted outside of the door. Mine happens to be located near lower left corner of the TV on the cabinet stile. It's hardly noticable because of the size and color.
The wire from it slips nicley behind the door and into the cabinet where it gets USB power. I use the 12 volt outlet with a 12 volt to USB adapter. The other part of the wiring (the one or two or four or whatever number emitters), are the repeaters. One of those sticky backed critters resides over the original IR receiver on the component. If you can't see the window for the IR receiver you'll have to block the front of the DVD unit and start pressing the on button while sliding the blockage a small amount until the unit responds. That will be where the DVD unit's IR receiver is located and that's where you'll stick the IR emitter/repeater.
It will be a tight fit on the front of the unit but it will fit and so far my door has stayed closed during travel.
It sounds complicated but it is basic. What you have actually done is relocated the original IR receiver to the outside of the cabinet. The receiver sends the IR frequency to the IR emitter/repeater and repeats the frequency to the original IR receiver in the DVD unit.

Pix can be available if needed. I know it sounds complicated but once you have it hooked up you'll find it easier than remembering the auto leveling sequence.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #7

Indiana
I've read your reply several times. I think I'm gettin' it. I appreciate the info on where to pick them up, also.

I like the idea of not having to have my cabinet door open to use the entertainment center.

Thanks.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #8

Texas
We went with the Genie system. Main server installed in garage that serves the garage tv and a small 6x4x1 inch size client at the main and bedroom TVs. All the functionality i would have in the house. Works flawlessly.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

California
Thanks for the advice Sundancer!