What brand toyhauler would you recommend? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #1

Virginia
What brand toyhauler would you recommend?

I realize this is a Dutchman forum and I don't own a Dutchman yet but hope to just because of the water capacity. However after reading many of the items in this forum I'm doubting if I should buy a Dutchman. So I'm wondering what would be the best brand of Toy Hauler to buy? We will be full time in about 2 years and made a toy hauler of about 10 to 14 feet in length and lots of home space.I've been RVing for about 25 years in a number of different campers. Right now I own a Lance 1121 truck camper but obviously it's too small for full time. I'll be buying a new Dodge Ram 3500 or Ford F 350. I like to Cummins engine very well so it'll probably be a Ram 3500 dually

Thank you,

Mark

mark33swm@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #2

Nevada
I think you should select one based off of three major categories, and not in any particular order.

1. Floor plan

2. Features you want

3. Build quality

Build quality can be a difference maker. My 3200 was built in late 2012 and seems ok...for now. I had a salesman tell me (at a difference place than where I bought it) they he thinks they had better QC during that time. I think the QC can very for the manufactures. I'm not sure if any have got it constantly nailed down, maybe others know of some.

Speaking of trucks, I test drove a Cummins 6.7, not so good compared to the Ford 6.7 in stock form which is what I'm sticking too. Just not enough power even though on paper they were matched up.

Good luck with your choices.

Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:27 AM   #3

Texas
Mark,
Good luck w/your decision. While we don't have a toy hauler we do own a Dutchmen and have had a good experience with it. We have some good friends that have a toy hauler from another manufacturer (Keystone) that is a 2012 and they have had a number of issues. I do not think that any of them are perfect, but we still enjoy ours and look forward to camping whenever we get the chance.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #4

Oklahoma
I am very happy with my Voltage 3970. I am in it full time. Haven't had any major issues. picked it up in August 2014
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
I think you should select one based off of three major categories, and not in any particular order.

1. Floor plan

2. Features you want

3. Build quality

Build quality can be a difference maker. My 3200 was built in late 2012 and seems ok...for now. I had a salesman tell me (at a difference place than where I bought it) they he thinks they had better QC during that time. I think the QC can very for the manufactures. I'm not sure if any have got it constantly nailed down, maybe others know of some.

Speaking of trucks, I test drove a Cummins 6.7, not so good compared to the Ford 6.7 in stock form which is what I'm sticking too. Just not enough power even though on paper they were matched up.

Good luck with your choices.
This but I would add a #4 Get a Dealer you can work with!

Every manufacturer has good days and bad days, it seems that Dutchmen has had a few bad months where everything they put out was crap.

Another thing I would avoid is first run features, every time they bring out something new there will be a learning curve for the installers. Some of them learn better than others. and some never learn.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Nevada
Have a voltage toy hauler this is my third hauler. Works well for me On my second dodge may not be drag race fast but if you are wanting good hauler I would definitely recommend it. I haul roughly 24,000 miles a year through the west a lot over mountain ranges in nevada, california, Colorado, Utah, idaho, and Montana. The exhaust brake alone makes this hauler imho the best not to mention the longevity of the cummins. Check the forums for how many fords or Chevys make the 300 to 500 hundred thousand miles!!
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerloco View Post
I haul roughly 24,000 miles a year through the west a lot over mountain ranges in nevada, california, Colorado, Utah, idaho, and Montana. The exhaust brake alone makes this hauler imho the best not to mention the longevity of the cummins. Check the forums for how many fords or Chevys make the 300 to 500 hundred thousand miles!!
Copy that! I've never wore out a Cummins! The truck came apart first...

So not to hijack the thread... also check out Forest Rivers XLR toy hauler for comparison.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark33swm@aol.com View Post
...However after reading many of the items in this forum I'm doubting if I should buy a Dutchman....
Just something to remember when reading posts in these type forums... whether they be for RV, motorcycles, trucks, etc:

Only a very small percentage of owners read these forums... and an even smaller number decide to get involve and post about their experiences. And then out of that number... well, most people only decide to type out a post when they have a problem or question. Very few people wake up one morning and decide to type out a post like... "I love my rig, everything works today, I'm happy-happy-happy!"

In other words... no news is good news.

Bottom line: even though you read about problems & issues that some of us have had... in reality, we're a small percentage of the total Dutchmen population.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

Ohio
When I was first looking, I almost went to a different brand because of the slide issues. But we liked the layout of the 3605 best. I x2 the recommendations above, especially the dealer. Also get the extended warranty.

I drove the Dodge and Ford 6.7 and was shocked at how doggy the Cummins was. I was concerned with the Powerstrokes since the 7.3, but my brother-in-law is a diesel mechanic and he thinks the Powerstroke 6.7 is pretty solid. I would suggest you drive both. I also drove a Chevy, but none of the dealers in my area had a Duramax, so I drove the gasser. That didn't compare to the diesels. The fit and finish was nice in all of them. At a price north of $50k, they should be!
-Jeff
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #10

Michigan
All the newer trucks have their merits, but I will stick with my 5.9 Cummins as long as they can be found - no emissions, no O2 sensors, not even a cat converter and no DEF! No CEL codes - very easy to add reasonable amounts of HP and they last forever - proven platform in the marine, power generation, contstruction equipment and light truck segment. I am able easily pass lots of newer trucks while towing up the hills on I-75 in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Just my 2 cents based on a long career as a diesel mechanic...but again, they all have their merits. Depends on what you want in creature comforts.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #11

Nevada
True... Cummins medium duty truck motor in a pick up. Enough said!!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #12

Alabama
Blind brand loyalty and ATC guys' comment about "who" writes on the forum and "why" makes it hard to ask a question like the OP proposes. Advice is about all that can be given honestly, because nothing will replace first-hand experience. I had only ever driven Japanese trucks, until I needed a 1 ton. I drove all three, and my signature will tell you what I chose based on my experience. I also spent HOURS in various toy haulers, and drove for DAYS just to spend time in a particular model. Every manufacture has their bad days, and some problems are more public than others. Truth be told, one should be prepared for any number of problems, but in the end, it's buyers remorse you want to avoid. My only suggestion would be a list of wants and needs, balanced by budget, and plenty of time spent experiencing the likely candidates. If after all that you purchase something, and it breaks, you won't be filled with remorse thinking you could have made a better choice. Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #13

Nevada
I've had good luck with my Voltage 3805. My last hauler was a Thor of California Vortex, it was a well built trailer also. If you think your going to buy a RV and get a absolutely trouble free rig, your probably going to be disappointed. As far as pick ups go, I'm a Dodge/Cummins fan. I've driven Ford 6.7's and currently a Duramax for work trucks. My opinions is Chev= nice ride, not much ground clearance and some brake problems. Ford= hell for stout running gear, but we've seen some injection problems, even with the new 6.7s. 80% of my commute is on mine roads, so they are definitely punished.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
You can have my 7.3 PSD when I die...

I have one 1996 here on the property that has well north of 500,000 miles on the odometer and it quit working several years ago. It doesn't see the miles it used to, but still sees nearly daily use on the farm. I have driven multiple trucks both gas and diesel to well past the 300,000 mark. Like RV's to each their own.

If you want to custom build your toy hauler consider contacting Marathon Homes, they will build anything you want. I have no clue what the price would be, this is the company that many of carnivals, circuses and long term work crews turn to for custom units. They aren't real fancy but they are build solid and seem to last.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #15

Nevada
Mark33:

I have had a couple Toy Haulers and now have a Voltage 3895, All of those had a few problems, and you will make adjustments to make it yours…..I had a 371 Fuzion before this one and liked the layout, but it came with a few items that we had to get repaired a couple times. Don't do what I did!….Look at a few models by a few makers and then pick the one for you…I make a deal on price and then tell them I will be back tomorrow…They will make a better deal….Good Luck and happy camping….Sorry i'm a Chev guy…3500 Crew Cab Dualee

Rich
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #16

Nevada
Yep this my third TH there's a lot of considerations in selecting the right TH and I think that evolves over time. Hence I have had 3. I go down road in my business 24,000 miles a year and my needs and desires led me to this voltage that I have currently. I do all of my own repairs and maintenance and this unit has worked well with few issues that are pretty much the same with all. Purchased my voltage in October and have already traveled over 11,000 miles. I spent 3 months this time researching all different brands in this size and class. After I found the unit I wanted, the next step was finding the right deal. I subscribe to 65% of Msrp and that's where I ended up. I have become Dodge Ram guy this current pickup makes my 5th diesel.
Bill
Old 04-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #17

Mississippi
Not one major problem from mine, have always leveled before opening slides, I just learned another pointer yesterday, had my camper slanted back as I loaded rzr and other toys. My water tank filled to the brim, never ran water that long. So I must have the full 160 gallons! Ready to pull out here shortly!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #18

Mississippi
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Not one major problem from mine, have always leveled before opening slides, I just learned another pointer yesterday, had my camper slanted back as I loaded rzr and other toys. My water tank filled to the brim, never ran water that long. So I must have the full 160 gallons! Ready to pull out here shortly!
Wife still wanting the Tiffin Allegro Bus 45OP, I am hoping after this trip she will see how much we can enjoy the toyhauler, and save money!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #19

Oklahoma
We looked at every TH we could find within 100 miles of home, and we had a specific list of requirements. The Voltage 3905 fit in everything on our list, and I too had read all about the problems, but decided that our dealers reputation would be enough insurance and wrote the check. We have not regretted it. I have made mods to it for better reliability and usability, but most are pretty minor.
On our last trip, it was raining during the day, and we had seats inside for 14 at lunch! We get comments on it all the time. The trailer has met our expectations well, and to help it continue to do so, we store it inside, which I am absolutely positive will keep it in good shape for many years.
As for the tow vehicle, well, I really wish I could have kept my 2000 F350 SRW with the 7.3, but this big trailer was too much for that truck (in my opinion) and so we have the 2010 F450 now. I am more than happy with how much better this truck handles the weight. The 6.4 has all the 'clean' diesel gadgets on it, and get 8.X mpg pulling the TH, so I am OK with that.
Make your choice about what you like in the TH, and don't worry too much about the 'problems' that people say certain models and manufactures have. I would say to research your dealer, and make THAT a big part of your decision. Your dealer will be taking care of you with the manufacture, and if they are reputable, then your experience will be that much better.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #20

Washington
Don't be turned off by this forum. Most of us come here for upgrade ideas and solutions. I would agree with most posts on this thread....find a floor plan that suits your needs. If the floor plan doesn't work for you then you'll never be happy with the coach. Most of the "high-end" manufacturers went out of business in 2008-2009 for obvious reasons. As you are aware with your previous RVs, these are homes on wheels that flex and bend over the miles that we put on them and they're going to need maintenance. If you can't do that yourself find a quality RV repair station that can take care of those issues....you'll have to do that with any brand of toy hauler. We narrowed our search to 3 different toy haulers based on floor plan and purchased our Voltage on the recommendation of our friends that full-timed for 2 years in their Voltage. Yes, I've had some issues, but Dutchmen has been good about fixing any of the issues so far under warranty. I hope this helps....good luck with your search.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote