What a crock - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Colorado
What a crock

Well the Dutchmen mental midgets strike again.

I purchased my 2014 Voltage 3950 in Oct 2013, during the PDI it was noticed on the air return grate on the stairs that they over torqued one of the mounting screws and cracked the corner of the wooden grate.

My dealer received parts to replace my grates Part# 415920 was shipped. The confirmed part# for my coach is supposed to be part# 416388.

The problem with the replacement part is it's 4-5 shades too dark on the stain and stands out like a sore thumb.

My dealer did not install the wrong part (too dark) at my request and sent off pictures of my part and the replacement.

Now here's the issue: Dutchmen parts cancelled the order for the replacement telling my dealer that the part is no longer available.

What the heck, this is a 2014 model still under warranty and the manufacturer can't supply replacement parts?

I'm beyond ticked off and will not accept parts that do not match my camper, nor should I.

I'm now trying to contact Dutchmen direct as it's not my dealerships fault for this issue.

We will see what Steve Holmes, and/or Voltage parts dept manager Jamie Clark have to say.

I'm not opposed to driving the damn thing back to the factory and leaving it there and demanding full reimbursement for my travel expenses and for the purchase of the camper and all mods I've done to it.

If Dutchmen doesn't make this right I will be seeking legal action, as companies are required to maintain replacement parts for warrantied items.

Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

Wyoming
I doubt that you'll have legal success. Wood finishes are never warranted as it is impossible to match dye lots. Wood is all different and when you get a piece of wood later it would be impossible to match the staining.

For this reason it is not considered part of 'maintaining replacement parts'. They did replace the part but a wood finish does not have to be exact.

My advice would be to take it to a local woodworker and have him try to colour match. I have been trying to do this myself and have yet to find a stain even close to my trailers finish. It's harder than you might think.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I would agree with Wanderer, it will be MUCH less hassle to redo it yourself and make it match. If you persue legal action on a claim that has no effect on the safety or operation of the trailer, the only people who will end up happy will be the lawyers.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Colorado
I don't disagree, however the Dealership sent the replacement part back to Dutchmen and I still have the broken part on my coach. Dutchmen refused to even send a naked grill to the dealer so they can stain it locally.

All that aside I made progress yesterday with Dutchmen direct.

I'll give a shout out of thank you to Stephen Holmes, as he resolved the issue to my satisfaction and they shipped a naked set for me to stain yesterday afternoon.

As for matching the stain, I've been refinishing wood furniture for years, I know it won't be exact, but I will get very close to original, at least to the point that no one would ever notice it unless I pointed it out.

The replacement part they tried to replace it with on the other hand would have instantly stood out as the replacement stain was nearly black compared to the light brown in the rest of the coach.

I wish I took a picture of the original and proposed replacement as that would have ended any arguments of matching stain to the degree that the picture would have shown how mismatched the proposed parts actually were.

Edit: As for the legal crud(Threat), that was more out of frustration then wanting to donate my hard earned cash to any lawyer.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #5

Texas
Good to hear you made progress.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

Colorado
I was away for the Memorial day weekend, having fun in "Lake City, CO", attempted to run the Alpine Loop, still too much snow on the passes, Engineer Pass had over 50 feet of snow pack this year and they don't think it will be fully plowed until early July. Ohh well still had a blast with the kids on the quads and enjoying some much needed peace and quite from work.

I'll have to post a few photos later tonight when I download the camera. We stayed at "Highlander Campground" and while a bit small for my rig, I had to unload the garage prior to backing into the camping spot and the slides and awnings just fit between the trees, absolutely loved the campground and owners, great friendly folks that will help you with any of your needs. DW and I think this spot may become our annual spring trip.

Got home yesterday to a fedex delivery of my air return grates, guess I'll be spending the week staining them to match. I'll post pictures of the finished product once completed, hopefully by the weekend.

It only took 8 months to correct all the PDI issues, but I still wouldn't trade my coach for anything else, well maybe a full body paint version as I wanted that from the get go just couldn't justify the $10k price tag for paint.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #7

Colorado
Love Lake City... when i was single that was an annual trip 4th of July wknd due to snow. Alpine loop is great... bucket list for anyone. 50 mile loop above tree line in the "Swiss Alps of the Americas". Look forward to some pics. BTW, the entire small town closes off the roads for a nice fireworks display on the 4th.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #8

Colorado
Camp Setup: Not that we were here much...

Local Wildlife: ~30 feet from the campsite

Afternoon Weather we got light showers every day for 2-3 hours, was a great change for our normal Colorado dry weather: