Waxing Maintaining Exterior 5th Wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #1

Ohio
Waxing Maintaining Exterior 5th Wheel

First time waxing our 5th wheel any helpful tips and/or pointers would be helpful??

The Henderson Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #2

California
Avoid wax on the decals if you can and get a vinyl protector for the decals. Petroleum in wax can accelerate the wear of the decals.

Marine wax is a good call for your gel coat. They also make soaps that supposedly contain some wax. I used one last time and liked it.

Also, when washing the front cap it might be easier to be connected to your truck and stand in the bed. More stable and easier to move around than with a ladder. I use a sponge device on a long pole when washing.

When waxing you are probably going to have to move a ladder quite frequently.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:34 PM   #3

Illinois
I heard good things about the Aero Cosmetics Dry wash and wax kit. It used to be available on Amazon, but looks like no longer offered. Can get elsewhere though, like from here.

You can get a basic kit from Amazon still, A sprayer, 144 ounces of cleaner, and some microfibers. The big kit above has a pole mop, microfiber pads, and a bunch of other items to be able to clean the entire rig while standing on the ground.

If you want it to have really good protection, then you need to do multiple steps for a lasting effect.

First, wash it with a degreaser like Dawn soap in a bucket of water, then take a dual action buffer with some gel coat polish, I used this stuff, worked pretty good and safe for decals. Then followed up with the 925 wax using the DA buffer to apply it. Once it dried, wiped it all down with microfiber towels.

I did this right after getting the 5th home from the dealer, but it sat on their lot for at least 6 months or more so was pretty dirty. After sitting on their lot over the winter getting repairs done under warranty, it came back pretty dirty again, but all the dirt wipes right off, so a quick wash with RV wash and wax is all it will take to keep it clean, slick and shiny. The first cleaning and waxing will always be a pain, will need ladders, and lots of elbow grease to do it right, but once that first one is done, the hard part is over, the rest is just normal washings. For washing I use Universal auto and boat wash and wax concentrate in my pressure washer using a 40* tip to rinse with and a foam cannon to apply the soap, and a long pole soft bristle brush to clean any streaks. I never get any closer than 18" with the pressure wand, and always direct it away from any seams, but I have been detailing cars and trucks with the washer for decades and never do any damage, just have to be careful where you point it. I wish I still had my hot water power washer, that thing was freaking awesome, only needed 1800 PSI and a few gallons of Diesel or Kerosene to clean anything with it. Hot soapy water and a hot rinse took dirt right off.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #4

Oregon
I've used 303 protectant on the exterior of our 2017 Kodiak Ultra and so far it is looking very good and holding up well.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Henderson Travels View Post
First time waxing our 5th wheel any helpful tips and/or pointers would be helpful??
Best tip: Pay a detailer $300 to wash, wax and minor detail.

Buy the time you buy the wax & supplies needed.
Climb up and down your ladder 200 times.
Hours spent on all the above
The $300 isn't bad
Trust me on this one
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #6

California
Waxing

If it is fiber glass, Medquires makes good cleaner wax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Meguires.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	6843  

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintaining exterior, polishing, wax 5th wheel, waxing, waxing rv