Water Pump Trouble - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

North Carolina
Unhappy Water Pump Trouble

I am paying the cost for not winterizing...
So far have had to replace valve assembly in bathroom faucet & shower head, completely replace kitchen faucet (valve components and outside collar cracked) and repair one water line in basement behind water control panel. City Water functionality appears to be OK now.
Turn water pump on and it runs nonstop and all faucets have 90% air 10% water mix when opened. Took output line off water pump and capped it – pump still runs nonstop. Also uncapped it and turned pump on and I get same thing directly out of pump as when I turn any inside faucet on. So I think I have eliminated there is an issue with lines on output side of pump.
First question is if there is a problem (broken line) between water tank and pump so air is entering system could that cause pump to run nonstop because it can’t build up enough pressure to stop pump? Or, could pump itself be the problem. Impeller? I figure my next trouble shooting is to remove pump from trailer and run input side to direct water source and see if it pumps water. If pump seems to function properly in that test I guess that indicates problem with line(s) between tank and pump. Any suggestions to trouble shooting that as access to all those lines is limited…

Did not take any pictures last weekend, though I will be working on it again this weekend so I can show basement line and repairs thus far if it helps..

Thanks in advance…

Treadwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #2

Oklahoma
These pumps don't have an impeller so that's out of the equation. With all of the things you had to replace because of being frozen I'd say take a close look at the pump nose. My money says the pump froze and cracked the diaphragm housing. Assuming of course there is water in the tank and the intake line is connected.
It is possible the tank to pump line is cracked or broken as well. The pump nose will be more expensive to replace but a lot easier than reaching the tank, wherever it may be.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #3

Colorado
I would disconnect the suction hose from your pump, install a temp hose and put it into jug of water, just as you would pump anti-freeze. With all water valves shut off, your pump should operate as normal. If it does, you have cracked supply line. If still does the same, you are getting air in at your pump.
Rev44 is offline   Reply With Quote