Warning! - Undersized Auto-Reset Breakers are a ticking bomb in all our rigs - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #21

Ohio
I noticed the last few times we were out the jack autoreset breaker would pop / reset a couple of times. I replaced it with the 80 amp auto reset and that seems to have solved the problem. I have 6 gage wire running from the block to the new breaker and then to the jack. It's an easy fix.
-Jeff

Old 09-06-2022, 05:25 AM   #22

California
So the last few times out my level up has been resetting. It never happened during my first few years of ownership but now it keeps doing this.

I am nervous about upsizing to 80 amps and creating a potential fire hazard and wonder if just replacing with a new one might do the trick.

The other question for have is am I replacing the one on the bus bar behind the plastic cover or is it the one on the wall on the left side as you look into the compartment? Here is a pic of the part on the side. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	7440
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #23

Illinois
Not sure which one you need to change but dealer changed mine out to 80 amp a couple years ago with no issues to date. All new ones now come with 80 amp. Just my experience.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #24

California
I don’t think that 6 AWG wire is sufficient to exceed 50 amps though is it? Did they run new wire for you?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #25

Illinois
No, just changed out the breaker.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #26

California
Warning! - Undersized Auto-Reset Breakers are a ticking bomb in all our rigs

So I have been doing lots of searching/digging and I am not able to find a similar sized 80 amp auto reset breaker like the 50 amp that is in place. Those style auto reset breakers come in many sizes but 50 amp is the biggest. All the 80 amp breakers I have found are physically very different. They look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	7441

And the one being replaced looks like this:

Name:  IMG_0967.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  9.2 KB

So if I want to use the 80 amp I would have to relocate the breaker from the current bus bar as it will not fit. I would assume that is very doable but it would also entail running the wires differently. As a result I decided to just buy a new 50 amp for $10 and swap it out to see if I can have 4 more years of trouble free operation with a replacement.

I am hoping the current 50 amp might have gone bad and resets easily at lower amperage than it should. This might be a long shot but I figure a good gamble of $10 and maybe an hour max of my time to swap out. If it works then I am in great shape. If it doesn’t then I can decide if I need to find a more highly skilled person than me to swap to 80 amps.

By the way, if someone can point me to an 80 amp that is the same physical size as the current 50 amp I would certainly go that route but I can’t even find one on the internet let alone at a local auto parts store.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #27

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
...I am hoping the current 50 amp might have gone bad and resets easily at lower amperage than it should. This might be a long shot but I figure a good gamble of $10 and maybe an hour max of my time to swap out. If it works then I am in great shape. If it doesn’t then I can decide if I need to find a more highly skilled person than me to swap to 80 amps...
For what it's worth... I'm sure you've already read my posts on this subject from back in 2017. If not, my portion begins in post #24 of the following thread:

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...on-4245-2.html

That said... since I had that breaker replaced in September of that year... with a 40-amp breaker, and not a 50... it has not given me one bit of trouble since. (knock on wood)

In other words... and I don't profess to be any type of electrical genius. Hell, I barely have enough electrical knowledge to not be dangerous. But in my opinion, I think replacing what you have with a larger 80-amp breaker is overkill. Because it seems to me that it's not that the breakers are undersized for the load (like I said, I've been running mine on a 40-amp breaker for 5 years now), so much as it seems to be that the factory just must be buying & installing the cheapest quality breakers in the first place. And the reason I say that is because I can't recall reading about ANYONE who's had to change the breaker... having to go back and do it a 2nd time, even though we all carry a spare now.

Again, just my opinion... your mileage may vary.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #28

California
Thanks ATC guy. I have a feeling you are correct. Dutchmen uses incredibly cheap components all throughout the trailer so hopefully the one I purchased will do the job.

Thanks again—
Old 09-19-2022, 04:54 AM   #29

California
Warning! - Undersized Auto-Reset Breakers are a ticking bomb in all our rigs

So I replaced the existing breaker with a 50 amp from Napa. Identical size but the housing on the Napa breaker was metal and the original breaker had a plastic housing. Something tells me the metal housing is superior but I can’t say for sure.

I ran the jacks up and down and did an auto level and all worked fine.

Hopefully the problem was a worn out or defective breaker and this will do the trick.

It was an easy swap and only took about an hour because I was extra careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the wires as I know the leveling system is not tied into the battery disconnect and works all the time so didn’t want to short anything.