Voltage Windows... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Wyoming
Voltage Windows...

Just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks these Voltage units come with FAR too many windows?

When I first began shopping these rigs, I thought they looked great. They certainly made the exterior look nicer, especially when compared to many of the regular windowless "box RV's" with solid sides... and with the nice day-night combo shades, it gave the interior a nice 'at home' feel.

However, after a year or so, I began to come to the conclusion that they are... in my opinion... pretty much useless. Especially since I've never been boondocking where I couldn't run the A/Cs constantly... and I rarely open the shades anyway.

After 2 years of full-time living in it, that opinion is pretty much solidified into something I know that I DEFINITELY don't want in my next rig (whenever that may be).

Though they are all tinted... they allow tons of sunlight & heat into the rig during the summer, and are poor insulators against the cold in winter.

And my biggest complaint... all of the wasted wall space!! Especially in the garage! Places where I could attach shelving, or hanging hooks, etc... all unavailable because the wall is full of glass.

Now, when I pass other solid-side rigs going down the road... I don't think they look so ugly.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks these Voltage units come with FAR too many windows?

When I first began shopping these rigs, I thought they looked great. They certainly made the exterior look nicer, especially when compared to many of the regular windowless "box RV's" with solid sides... and with the nice day-night combo shades, it gave the interior a nice 'at home' feel.

However, after a year or so, I began to come to the conclusion that they are... in my opinion... pretty much useless. Especially since I've never been boondocking where I couldn't run the A/Cs constantly... and I rarely open the shades anyway.

After 2 years of full-time living in it, that opinion is pretty much solidified into something I know that I DEFINITELY don't want in my next rig (whenever that may be).

Though they are all tinted... they allow tons of sunlight & heat into the rig during the summer, and are poor insulators against the cold in winter.

And my biggest complaint... all of the wasted wall space!! Especially in the garage! Places where I could attach shelving, or hanging hooks, etc... all unavailable because the wall is full of glass.

Now, when I pass other solid-side rigs going down the road... I don't think they look so ugly.
Most of the single male RVers have figured out the present day toy haulers are designed with the 'little lady' in mind. She wants to go play with the boys or keep an eye on them.
I know I don't need a glass vessel bowl to spit toothpaste into, I have probably three square yards of carpet that doesn't command a built in vacuum system but I have one. Don't need a convection oven either, the microwave works for me.
That's the deal mister, mom is coming along in the hauler and she's gonna be comfortable.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Illinois
X2
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Texas
And is momma's happy everyone's happy!

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #5

Maryland
Tom,

I agree. Full timing, these windows are worthless (winter and summer). When opened, they do not allow a lot of airflow, when closed, they pass through a lot of heat. I have replaced most of my shades with some nicer ones from Lowe's that operate better and are coated for heat control. I also have the foil bubble wrap stuff in each window and it does a good job.

I have had to remove three windows in the last year (tall window in garage, 1/2 bath window, and bedroom slide window) due to leaking. I found that the rubber seal was not installed properly (imagine that) and was allowing rain to leak in. The bedroom window damage may eventually cause a slide floor rebuild, we will see though.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

Missouri
We had multiple leaks in our windows so we simply sealed the top and side with a good quality silicone to prevent further damage. Leave the bottom open so you don't trap water in if it gets past your sealant and you should be good to go. The way the windows are installed they would be prone to leaks without the added perimeter caulking. I am a window guy with some experience chasing water infiltration issues.
whfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by whfish View Post
We had multiple leaks in our windows so we simply sealed the top and side with a good quality silicone to prevent further damage. Leave the bottom open so you don't trap water in if it gets past your sealant and you should be good to go. The way the windows are installed they would be prone to leaks without the added perimeter caulking. I am a window guy with some experience chasing water infiltration issues.
Totally agree with the Silicone top and down the sides. The gap between the window frame and the wall is perfect to lay a bead of sealant in there.
Just had to do another window last week, cleaned the area, taped it off and sealed with Silicone. No more water intrusion on the window!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:36 AM   #8

Maryland
I have done that to mine also, the ones it did not work well on were the single pop out windows. I used Black around all of them and the others have been great.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote