Voltage patio awning legs retainer. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Michigan
Voltage patio awning legs retainer.

Question to Voltage owners that have the patio awning, how do you keep the awning support legs from blowing off the ramp in a breeze? Info that came with the Voltage on the awning shows a clip that the end of the leg slips into. Dutchmen did not include those clips on our voltage. The only way I've been able to retain them is to slip one of the holes in leg foot over one of the way to long bolts in the cable bracket on the ramp. So do y'all have the clips installed? Or are you using some other method?

Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #2

Colorado
There are supposed to be clips mounted on either side of the ramp door to hook the awning legs on. My Voltage 3200 did not have them when the trailer was delivered. I had the dealer install them when I took the trailer in for some warranty work. If you don't have a dealer close, I would just contact Dutchmen directly.

Dirt1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Michigan
Thanks Dirt1st,
That's what I thought. Looks like another do it yourself project as I'm not impressed with my local dealer service, they couldn't even wash the windows right for the delivery. Little woman made them do it again along with re-clean the interior. Had the factory shop redo most of the warranty work that was done in their shop. There, my gripe for the Day.
Two Harleys
Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Colorado
I was fortunate, the dealer I bought the trailer from is not too far, 1bout 13 miles, and they have been mostly responsive. Their problem sometimes seems to be getting parts from Dutchmen.
I think quality control on the little things is lacking, unless you are buying a quarter million dollar or up RV.
The AC in the bedroom quit working last summer in Idaho (outside temperature around 100 degrees). When I got home and took it to the dealer, it turned out that a wire nut connecting the trailer wiring to the AC wiring had come loose.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt1st View Post
I was fortunate, the dealer I bought the trailer from is not too far, 1bout 13 miles, and they have been mostly responsive. Their problem sometimes seems to be getting parts from Dutchmen.
I think quality control on the little things is lacking, unless you are buying a quarter million dollar or up RV.
The AC in the bedroom quit working last summer in Idaho (outside temperature around 100 degrees). When I got home and took it to the dealer, it turned out that a wire nut connecting the trailer wiring to the AC wiring had come loose.
Dirt1st,

I'm dealing directly with Dutchmen at all times and have Dutchmen tell the dealer what to do on my unit. Honestly, I have always said that %&@* runs down hill. Dutchmens problem is right at the top with the CEO.
Honestly, you hope that you get a dealer that cares and wants to take care of your unit.

Quality control lacks no matter how much money you spend on a Dutchmen.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
My 3200 had them installed
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #7

Colorado
My perception is that on Voltages with the rear deck awning, some had the retainers or clips, and some didn't have them. Just another example of lack of attention to detail and/or poor quality control.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Chapter Director

Ohio
I agree with the lack of attention to details and quality control. I don't think this is just a Dutchmen issue. We had similar issues with Heartland who is or was rated very well with quality control. On our Voltage we were missing the canvass type panels that go between the porch and the garage that blocks the little opening. I never knew they existed until I saw them on a Voltage at the Hershey Pa RV Show. I spoke with a factory rep and when he returned he mailed them out to me. When I told the dealer they didn't know they were supposed to be there.

I know these things should be caught at the factory, but there is another opportunity for them to be corrected and that is at the dealer. No different than a car when they are prepped these type items should be noticed and taken care of.
Findlay, Oh.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #9

Florida
Don't get me started on QC in the RV industry. I have had em all and even my Monaco Dynasty 43' tag axle had a punch list of 17 items on our first shakedown cruise and that unit was $400,000 MSRP. I have found my new Voltage 3950 to be pretty good. Only 4 items on our punch list. Hope that continues....
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #10

Ontario
I'm a rookie. I have a 2012 3905 (love it). Can't figure out how the rear ramp awning support legs come out of the cover/cap. Nothing in the Voltage Owner manual. And couldn't find useful info on the manufacturer (Carefree Awning) website. Will appreciate pics and/or instructions. And a pic of those clips (that some seem to have, some not) would also be apprciated. Thanks Volty folks.
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #11

Colorado
Those clips should have been installed on your trailer as a part of the rear awning package. If your dealer is close, talk to them, if not, call Dutchmen and tell them that the clips are missing and have them send you a set. If you can't get your dealer to install them, it should be an easy DIY job. You just need to know where they should be placed.

My Voltage 3200 was missing them, and I didn't discover they were missing until I used the rear awning for the first time, on my 4th or 5th trip out. I took it back to the dealer, and had them install them.

Just another example of lack of attention to detail and quality control.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnider View Post
I'm a rookie. I have a 2012 3905 (love it). Can't figure out how the rear ramp awning support legs come out of the cover/cap. Nothing in the Voltage Owner manual. And couldn't find useful info on the manufacturer (Carefree Awning) website. Will appreciate pics and/or instructions. And a pic of those clips (that some seem to have, some not) would also be apprciated. Thanks Volty folks.

Slide 'em outboard and lower them and then adjust to the invisible brackets and attach using the clips that are still in the factory. I think there's a release button but I've only had mine out once and that was just see what they were after I DISCOVERED they were in the tube.

It's a little tricky getting them slid out of the channels but they will come out.
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #13

Colorado
I too had to figure out how to get the support legs out, and since the last time I did it was last summer, my memory may not be accurate. At my age, if I can remember my name and where I live, I figure I am safe.

As I recall, the first thing to do is crank the awning out. then, it seems to me that there are a couple of little orange or red plastic things on the ends of the support legs that are at the middle of the awning. You move those "latches" toward the ends of the awning, and the support legs will then come out of the groove they are in.

Sorry, no pictures, my Voltage is in storage for another week or two. I am sure there is another Voltage owner that probably has a better explanation than I just gave.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #14

I too have a 3200 voltage.. I cannot remember any legs, clips or anything else with my rear awning. I would great appreciate someone posting a picture of these legs and what they look like. Anyone???
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Chapter Director

Ohio
I will not be able to have any pictures for a couple of weeks, but Dirt1st is correct. There are a clored tab which I think is orange. They slide out in the tracks and fasten to a clip on the side of the deck. I heard some of the tv's didn't Come with the clips. Talk to the dealer. If no one sends pics I will ,as soon as I can
Findlay, Oh.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #16

Michigan
Ok! this is a visual walk through of extending the support legs on our 2012 Voltage 3905, shut your eyes and visualize the following, (oh! I guess you can't read this with your eye's closed).

Look in the crossbeam and you will see the end of the leg, lift up slightly on the outer end of the leg and it will clear the end cap. Holding the outer end elevated slide the leg to the outside as far as it will go. At the inner end of the leg is a joint that will allow the leg to bend down 90 degrees, can't remember if you have to rotate the leg to do that or not. The end piece that stays in the crossbeam has a couple of wings that stick out and have to be aligned with slots to push the leg back into the crossbeam. If the little wings are pulled out of the crossbeam then the whole leg can be rotated. With the leg pulled out all the way and turned down 90 degrees the lower section of the leg can be pulled out and locks in place fully extended by a little popit. Push the popit in with your thumb/finger and you can retract the lower section. With the lower section extended, at the top of the leg is an orange lever locking cam, flip the lever out unlocks the cam and allows the upper leg to slide down. Place the end of the leg in the clip, (missing on our unit), adjust the height of the crossbeam to your liking and lock down the orange lever/cam.

Sit down, pop the top on your favorite beverage, and enjoy having your own patio!!

Pretty much reverse to store the legs back in the crossbeam remembering to line up the little wings in the slots.

Anyway, that is the visualization that I have with my eye's shut. (Might be more top's popping in my visualization thou).

Hope it helps. No pic's here either as t-hauler is in storage about 30 miles from here.
Two Harleys
Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #17

I really appreciate the visual walk through but for the life of me I cant see it on mine. Now mine is not here either but will be in a couple days. What I see in my mind is a crank on the left and a scissor type metal extension on both sides of the awning. When I crank out the awning it extends about 5 feet, give or take, with a scissor type metal extension on each underside supporting the awning. I dont remember any other things that would extend. The scissor extensions seem to support the awning well enough. Why do I need the legs anyway?
Is my awning different than others? I have a 2013 Voltage Epic 3200.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #18

Oklahoma
The extension/retainer/support legs will give added security to the awning in the event a nasty wind wants to remove it from your rig.

Maybe another perspective will help. After the awning is extended stand looking rearward of the patio. Look up into the 'head' of the awning. If you have the legs they will be stored in a channel that runs the length of the head. You'll see the orange release parts. Press those and slide the leg outbound, rotate and then extend to the mysterious mounting block.

I don't have a special looking mounting block nor do I have any kind of retainer pin. What it did use was one of the keeper blocks that keeps the patio sides locked down when not in use. As for the pin, I think I had an extra clevis pin that I used to secure the support legs to the block.

As with others I'd be glad to post a pic but I'm leaving tomorrow for Denver and the garage is buttoned up with the stuff I bungee to the patio sides.

You'll figure it out once you get to put your hands on the critter.

Oh yeah, mine is a 2013 Voltage 3800 Epic so they should be very similar in this case.
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #19

British Columbia
Aronius...tried to visualize as sugggested..but didn't work,put my glasses on still nothing, given my age I visualized legs but not TT legs but in black and white not HD....I then woke up and remembered I don't own a Voltage...
Have a good Memorial weekend.....lest we forget
Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #20

Michigan
Coop - I was going to post a picture of the type of legs you were visualizing but then I remembered that the powers in control of this site would just delete it anyway.

Yes! Memorial Day! Remember not the BBQ and the party, but those that gave all so we could have the opportunity to write stupid stuff on sites like this one!

Reminds me that I need to run out and lower our flag to half mast until noon in respect to all of those.

Two Harleys