Voltage Lippert hydraulic leveling - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #1

Colorado
Angry Voltage Lippert hydraulic leveling

I've had my Voltage 3800 since May 2014. We're on the way home from Sedona, AZ and the center tire on the Passenger side shreds itself. An exit right handy so got off the highway and into a gravel parking area.

In the past I have used the hydraulic jacks in Manual mode to raise the side, where the flat tire is, until the tires are off the ground. Then change the tire.

This time I kept getting a display saying the system was 1.6 degrees out of level (something like that) and the jacks would not even begin to extend. Not at all!!

Tried lowering just the Driver side jacks...same error, same no jack extending.

Finally just pressed "Rear" and the four rear jacks extended until we could get the shredded tire off and the spare tire on.

Anyone else experienced this? My first time and don't like it!!!

Thanks,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I've had my Voltage 3800 since May 2014. We're on the way home from Sedona, AZ and the center tire on the Passenger side shreds itself. An exit right handy so got off the highway and into a gravel parking area.

In the past I have used the hydraulic jacks in Manual mode to raise the side, where the flat tire is, until the tires are off the ground. Then change the tire.

This time I kept getting a display saying the system was 1.6 degrees out of level (something like that) and the jacks would not even begin to extend. Not at all!!

Tried lowering just the Driver side jacks...same error, same no jack extending.

Finally just pressed "Rear" and the four rear jacks extended until we could get the shredded tire off and the spare tire on.

Anyone else experienced this? My first time and don't like it!!!

Thanks,

Pirate
I've had that nag but only when the jacks had to extend beyond their happy spot. I added a block so they didn't have to travel as far and that solved the problem.
Mine are electric though. Could be a limit switch is stuck or maladjusted.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 AM   #3

Wyoming
Yep... began seeing that error msg a few months before the relay in the front compartment stopped playing. Have never seen it again since replacing it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #4

Colorado
So a relay up by where the pump and reservoir are located?

I'll have to go look for that!

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
So a relay up by where the pump and reservoir are located?

I'll have to go look for that!

Thanks,

Pirate
Check the following thread... especially starting with post #15. My post describing my trouble is further down.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tion-4245.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #6

Alberta
I bought an Anderson trailer leveler. Small plastic ramp. Check it out on Amazon. You place under one wheel and the other lifts off the ground to change tire or spin tire for greasing. Cheap, and small enough to store in beaver tail, and no stress on leveling jacks. Lifted each my 3200 easy

Check it out
Moose111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #7

Arizona
I've used the jacks to lift tires many times without incident. One thing I do is lift the rear a ways then finish by lifting one side the rest of the way to get the tires off the ground. What happened to you is the trailer was leaning too far to one side and you got the error message, which is why I lift both sides a ways. I've also found that the center tire hangs lower than the other two.

I carry an 8 ton bottle jack just in case. BTW dump those Chinese tires for some LT truck tires and you won't be having any tire shredding issues. I use Michelin XPS Ribs.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #8

Colorado
AZ, I don't get it. 1.7 degrees is too much lean?

I am moving to the Goodyear Endurance tires. The Goodyear Marathons? the Tire Shop at home showed me damage in the bead area...and that these tires I've had for one year...are four years old.

Something else to watch for. Oh and the new Endurance tires...they're were born a month ago!

Crap, so many thing to have to check to keep from getting burned!!!

Pirate
Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #9

Colorado
Oh, and couldn't find an RV dealer in Southern Colorado willing to even look at it. So I ordered the jack. Found there had been some seepage at two of the hydraulic hoses.

Upon removing the hydraulic hoses and the jack. Whadda ya know, the great workers at Dutchmen smashed the fittings on the jack so they didn't seal. So a new jack and two new fittings...and I have a just like new working system. Did find that I had no plug for the hydraulic reservoir. So I ordered one of those with the jack.

I have the Preserve extended warranty. They told me to write up what I had found and what I had done and fax that and the receipts to Preserve and they would see if I could be reimbursed. Got a call late last week with a few questions. Answered those and its on its way to the "board" to see if I get reimbursed. Time will tell!!!

Pirate
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose111 View Post
I bought an Anderson trailer leveler. Small plastic ramp. Check it out on Amazon. You place under one wheel and the other lifts off the ground to change tire or spin tire for greasing. Cheap, and small enough to store in beaver tail, and no stress on leveling jacks. Lifted each my 3200 easy

Check it out
I have a yellow one for my car hauler. They work great on a tandem axle rig, but not on a triple...

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote