Voltage Furniture - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Wyoming
Voltage Furniture

Ok, question for you Voltage owners: Have any of you removed the LR furniture in your rigs?

I've got the 4-place reclining couch in my rig, and I'm thinking of replacing it.

I mean, 95% of the time, it's just me in the rig... so I don't need seating for 4. Just a nice seat for me & maybe a guest would do.

And while the couch is nice, in that all 4 seat positions recline... the table shown in that picture is pretty much useless for everyday use. The table-legs are just way too close to the couch to slide in & out easily... and I want a small table/desk type setup to go along with the seating.

I've got a decent pair of home-theater type seats picked out that I want to put in there... which will leave me a space of approximately 3-feet wide to also put a small table that I can either use as a desk to set my Macbook computer on, or even just a place to set a plate while I'm eating.

The question I really have is... how is the current unit mounted? It appears that it is bolted down to the floor of the slide somehow, as it doesn't move. I haven't crawled up under it yet to see where the bolts are, but I'm assuming they aren't that difficult to get to. And, I'm wondering how difficult it's going to be getting that puppy to fit thru the doorways so I can remove it?

So if any of you have played around with yours, how about letting me know.

Thanks...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Nevada
I have looked under them looking for more storage. As I remember they are bolted with four bolts each seat. But I have Halftimers what was I saying.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Wyoming
Got the sofa disassembled today... WOW, what a job!

As suspected, the assembly is not one single piece... but are 4 separate units joined together. This helps greatly in removing the units from the area. I suspect that the 2-seat & 3-seat units that I've seen in various Voltage models are similar.

For anyone who wants to do this, I'll explain the steps so you won't have to go thru the trial & error process I had to.

As eighty do states above... there are indeed 4 Phillips-head screws that secure each seat to the floor: 2 in the front rail... 2 in the rear as shown below:

And trust me when I tell you... those screws are REALLY in there tight. Be prepared to use some torque when you reach under to remove them.

Since the front rail screws are obviously going to be easier to get to... start with them first. (Don't worry about the rear screws, we'll get to them later)

Open your recliner foot rest fully, lay down on your belly with flashlight & #2 Phillips screwdriver in close proximity, and begin to unscrew them. Once I had mine loosened a few turns, I used a small power screwdriver to remove them completely.

Once you have the first 2 screws out on one seat... move on down the line, removing the front pair of screws for all seats. Again, don't worry about the rears for now.

Now here's where I'm going to save you a whole lot of cursing & trouble: YOU WILL REMOVE THE SEATS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT!!

The reason is that the seats are joined into a single unit via a 'hook & pocket' process. As you face the seats... the left sides of the frames have 2 hooks fastened to them, while the right sides have brackets (pockets) that fit over the hooks when placed next to them.

Ok, so now it's time to remove the rear screws from the FAR LEFT seat. Now you can do this by either crawling back under the left seat foot rest... but chances are, you will have a whole lot of trouble getting enough torque in your hand after laying on your belly & reaching that far back to get to it. I did one that way... took me about 5 or 10 minutes.

The easier way I found was to leave the left seat in the reclined position, but not the full recline position. Then, with your Phillips-head screwdriver in your right hand... get into the next seat over, fully recline it, and then reach behind the far left seat to twist the screws out. It helps to either wear one of those forehead flashlights so you can see, or setting some type of light on the floor behind the seat. You have to really contort your body a bit... but doing it that way, I was able to get the screws out fairly easily.

Once you have the rear pair of screws out of the left seat... you can pick it up off of the hooks on the right side, and move it out of the way.

With that seat now out of the way... simply recline the next seat a bit, and you can easily access the rear screws for it. After that, the next 2 seats are removed in the same fashion.

Where I ran into trouble was... I didn't know about the hook & pocket setup, and I began on the far right seat. It wasn't a pretty sight, but I figured it out.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #4

Arkansas
I'm not sure when I'll need this but I sure am glad you shared how to do it. The pictures are wonderful. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #5

Wyoming
Well.... got my new theater seats delivered today. THANKFULLY it was not a 1-piece unit!! I was sweating that part, wondering how I'd get it into the rig.

These are power-recline seats, and I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to route the power cord yet. I tried plugging it into the outlet under the bedroom stairs, but no joy. Not enough juice there. The outlet will power my little motion-detector night-light, but won't power a small fan that I have. Not sure why, unless it's because i'm only plugged into 15 amp service right now, and the overhead lights are drawing all the power. But I'll figure that out later.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

This is the main unit. I turned it on to it's back, and got it in via the sliding glass door:

Here's how it sits in the closed position:

Partial Recline...

And finally... full recline, with all storage doors open:

I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it on the left side of the slide, or move it to the right. No matter which side it ends up one, I plan to get some kind of small freestanding table to place beside the unit, so I can use it as a dinner table or a desk
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #6

New York
very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #7

Arizona
Yes, very nice!

Do you have a link to where you bought that new recliner set. Not sure about the power option though. My 3905 has 4 recliners like your did but has the storage/arm rests between seat 1&2 and seat 3&4 if that makes any sense. I would not mind have just 2 recliners. And a small nook/table setup. It seems to me the nook would have to be only wide enough for one person on each side because of the patio door. Will have to do some measuring. Just considering options.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #8

Wyoming
Amazon.com - SeatCraft Transformer Reclining Loveseat with Power and Console, Black - Love Seats
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #9

Arizona
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #10

nice job.. I noticed they are power seats. Where is the outlet you used for power.?? I have no power outlets on that side of the unit. I dont know why but I have to string my computer cord to the other side to keep it charged. Where does your power cords plug in at???
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #11

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
nice job.. I noticed they are power seats. Where is the outlet you used for power.?? I have no power outlets on that side of the unit. I dont know why but I have to string my computer cord to the other side to keep it charged. Where does your power cords plug in at???
Well, that's what I was mentioning in the first paragraph. I had intended on using the outlet that's located just to the right of the slide, under the steps to the bedroom, where I previously had a small night-light plugged in. However, I don't seem to have enough juice there... and I'm not sure why.

The outlet will power my night light... but after I plugged the seating unit into it, I found it wouldn't work. My immediate thought was that they had sent me a defective unit... but I got an extension cord and plugged it into the outlet over by the stove, and... WHA-LAH! The lights around the cup holders came on, and it worked.

Now confused, I took a small fan that I have and plugged it into the outlet under the stair. Nada. No joy. I plugged the night light back in, and it lit up just fine.

So I don't know if the reason the outlet doesn't have enough juice is because I'm only plugged into 15-amp service by my garage, or what. I'll investigate that more tomorrow, and report back.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Now confused, I took a small fan that I have and plugged it into the outlet under the stair. Nada. No joy. I plugged the night light back in, and it lit up just fine.

So I don't know if the reason the outlet doesn't have enough juice is because I'm only plugged into 15-amp service by my garage, or what. I'll investigate that more tomorrow, and report back.
I know the plug you are talking about. I just went out and plugged a Pelonis Ceramic Heater into it. Works fine on high and I think that is 1500 watts. I am plugged into my 50 amp service but I would think a 15 amp service would be more that adequate for the job. Perhaps you should disconnect power and make sure with wires are connected securely to the plug. Don't know. I am not much or an electrician.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #13

Wyoming
Well, upon further review... it appears that outlet under my stairs is now DEAD.

I can't even get it to power my night-light... which I know was working during my last RV trip (September).

All other electrical outlets in the rig work as advertised... so it's not a circuit problem. No breakers have been thrown... however, I did go ahead and reset all of them to no avail. Still no juice from this one outlet.

Now, I'm far more comfortable working with mechanical issues than I am with electrical. If it's got gears & pulleys, nuts & bolts, etc... I can fix it. But my electrical knowledge is limited to positive wire... negative wire... and after that, I'm lost.

Having said that, I went ahead and pulled the outlet from the wall and then opened it up. While it doesn't look like a standard home outlet, everything appears to be ok... so I can only assume that something on the back back end of that conduit has come disconnected.

Of course, the problem for an electrically challenged guy like me is... where exactly does that conduit go once it passes underneath the stairs, bedroom, and bath? I really have no idea what I'm looking for.

Unless anyone's got any ideas, I guess it's another trip back to CW to get a tech to look at it under warranty. I just find it strange that it was working fine in September, and now it's not.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #14

New York
Call Dutchmen and ASK if they have an electrical schematic for your rig - explain you problem...SEE IF THE WILL OR CAN HELP! I'd do that before I haul my rig back to the dealer.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #15

Oklahoma
What one needs in times like these is a VOM. You can't diagnose electrical problems without some sort of meter.

The recepticle is the ABnormal thing they put in the RV. The wiring looks good from looking at the picture. The way the wires are pressed into the contacts it would be hard not to have made the connection. However, looking at the back and w/o a meter nothing is evident. It won't hurt to wiggle those wires, you never know if one is broken or loose in the connector.

If you had a meter you could check voltages on the rear of the recepticle and on the front. No voltage means it a problem upstream.

I don't know about the power panel in your rig but I know in mine there are a jillion wire junctions behind it. All those colorful wires with different sizes of wire nuts. That's where I would take a look after I made sure there the recepticle is dead.

Since you said your boogy man light worked in that outlet at one time I get the feeling it may be a loose wire connection somewhere. The night light doesn't draw hardly any current whereas your chair arrangement uses more.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
What one needs in times like these is a VOM. You can't diagnose electrical problems without some sort of meter.

The recepticle is the ABnormal thing they put in the RV. The wiring looks good from looking at the picture. The way the wires are pressed into the contacts it would be hard not to have made the connection. However, looking at the back and w/o a meter nothing is evident. It won't hurt to wiggle those wires, you never know if one is broken or loose in the connector.

If you had a meter you could check voltages on the rear of the recepticle and on the front. No voltage means it a problem upstream.

I don't know about the power panel in your rig but I know in mine there are a jillion wire junctions behind it. All those colorful wires with different sizes of wire nuts. That's where I would take a look after I made sure there the recepticle is dead.

Since you said your boogy man light worked in that outlet at one time I get the feeling it may be a loose wire connection somewhere. The night light doesn't draw hardly any current whereas your chair arrangement uses more.
I would buy a meter before I took it to the dealer. Get a decent one. I'm sure you will find other uses for it in the future. Or you could just lick your fingers and touch the wires.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #17

California
Those seats look great. Very nice, and you have more room now, too.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #18

Alberta
3605 Voltage couch no power one side

If you lose power on one side of your couch check the power adapters are plugged into the 110 plugin, behind the couch on the left side when seated. I was able to get my arm between the first and second seat and got mine plugged back in.
mikewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:49 AM   #19

Missouri
Thank you for posting the great instructions for removing the sofa. I just got mine out today and I am thrilled with the space I now have.
realgoodbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:11 AM   #20

Florida
Voltage Seating

Would one of you folks happen to have the old OEM recliner set, willing to sell it, and live East of the Mississippi?

I have the one piece foam cushion chaise thing in a 3959 and would like to upgrade. We almost live in ours as traveling workers so the recliners would be nice.

eldelewis is offline   Reply With Quote