Voltage freezing up - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Arkansas
Voltage freezing up

We bought our Voltage 3605 new in July this year we live in it fulltime and travel alot we came to Pennsylvania to visit some family and the last two nights the water has frozen up with Temps in the teens we have been fulltime living in an RV for 5 years and I have never had one freeze on me and have been in much lower Temps anyone else had this problem? It is advertised as a four seasons unit obviously not living up to that claim

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #2

Texas
I have only lived in mine full time for a year so take it for what it's worth. We have had temps as low as 6 degrees and below freezing for only 4 straight days. I made sure I was off city water and had full fresh tanks. Tank heaters all 3 on. Furnace never set below 65 and make sure to not over run electrical room heaters especially in the living room. Furnace has to get heat to the innards and the only way is to cycle it regularly. Hope that helps. What exactly froze up?

Chris
2014 Voltage 3990
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Sport CCLB 4X4 AISIN DRW 4.10, 6.7 Cummins Max Payload 5560lbs Max Towing 30,190!
Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
I have only lived in mine full time for a year so take it for what it's worth. We have had temps as low as 6 degrees and below freezing for only 4 straight days. I made sure I was off city water and had full fresh tanks. Tank heaters all 3 on. Furnace never set below 65 and make sure to not over run electrical room heaters especially in the living room. Furnace has to get heat to the innards and the only way is to cycle it regularly. Hope that helps. What exactly froze up?

Chris
2014 Voltage 3990
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Sport CCLB 4X4 AISIN DRW 4.10, 6.7 Cummins Max Payload 5560lbs Max Towing 30,190!
Yes I'm running on holding tanks I never run on city water when in freezing Temps no electric heater overnight.
The first night it was 19 when I got up in the morning kitchen sink and garage bath were froze up but main bath was ok last night got down to 12 and everything is frozen

Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Texas
That's strange, sorry to hear. Might want to make sure heat pads are working is my first thought. Besides maybe putting a small heat lamp behind the wet bay area see if that helps that where my pump is.

Chris
2014 Voltage 3990
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
That's strange, sorry to hear. Might want to make sure heat pads are working is my first thought. Besides maybe putting a small heat lamp behind the wet bay area see if that helps that where my pump is.

Chris
2014 Voltage 3990
Thanks looks like I'll have to fix more of Dutchmen's shortcomings the list is getting longer

Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Florida
I had to get inventive with heaters when we were camping in sub zero weather. All of the water inlets and pumps etc, are located in the bathroom area. I put a heater in there (oil filled) and kept the doors to that area shut. It worked. I also put one of these on the water outlet for the campground and put insulation around it.

Frost King HC30A 30 x 120 x 7' Automatic Electric Heat Cable Kits, Black

plus the heated water hoses. They WORK! I understand there is an area in your RV that you can place a heater (where the water connects) and they usually recommend putting something in there when it gets really cold. For the tanks, I emptied them out the night before it was supposed to get real cold and put a gallon of antifreeze in each tank so it would run down to the nozzle and fill that area with antifreeze. I sprayed WD-40 on the gate valve so it would not freeze (water wouldn't penetrate the seal-I used one of those Valterra twist on shut off valves and one of the clear backwashing able elbows).

one last thing, the four seasons are a singing group if memory serves me.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I had to get inventive with heaters when we were camping in sub zero weather. All of the water inlets and pumps etc, are located in the bathroom area. I put a heater in there (oil filled) and kept the doors to that area shut. It worked. I also put one of these on the water outlet for the campground and put insulation around it.

Frost King HC30A 30 x 120 x 7' Automatic Electric Heat Cable Kits, Black

plus the heated water hoses. They WORK!
Where did you put the heater under the floor?

Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottxpc View Post
Where did you put the heater under the floor?

I have a travel trailer so I could NOT put a heater under the floor. It really doesn't need it. Most of my water pipes are in between the kitchen and the bathroom (next to the kitchen). All of the water inlets are there, the hot water heater is there, the furnace is there, etc. The fresh water tank is more towards the middle of the RV (the drain is by the wheels). Getting the bathroom real warm kept all of the pipes in the unit from freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	287re (1).jpg
Views:	310
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	4632  
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #9

Wyoming
Ok guys... take this for what it's worth, but here's how I keep my basement plumbing warm:

While reading this, keep in mind that the lowest temps I've ever experienced were in the mid 20s. I try to stay far away from places that normally get cold in the winter, but sometimes that rogue cold-front will intrude. Last winter was the exception when I was stuck in NC during the recovery from my surgery, and had to endure freezing temps for a few weeks.

During that time, I stayed on city water with the aid of a heated water hose that I purchased. It performed flawlessly, as advertised... and I had zero issues. Additionally, on those days temps were below freezing, I left both of my grey tank valves OPEN, as I wanted no liquid in my tanks that could freeze. Being single, I can usually go over a month before needing to empty my black tank... and it was the only one left closed.

I'm also one that only uses the rig's furnace when absolutely necessary. And by that I mean... only when the temps are below freezing. I have 3 small ceramic heaters that I use as needed. (like the one shown in the photo) Usually only one of them is necessary until it gets into the 40s, then I'll break out a 2nd one. Even when I'm staying in sites where the monthly rate excludes electric, and I'm on the meter... I still usually make out better financially paying for the electric heaters to run over the cost of paying for propane for the furnace.

The 3rd heater only comes into play when I see temps forecast either near or below freezing... and I use it in the basement.

As you can see in the floorpan photo... on the 3200 model, the curb-side basement door is located directly under the bathroom. This makes things somewhat convenient for adding a bit of extra heat. I know there are other Voltage models that are similar.

What I did was cut a hole in the basement wall, and then place & point my 3rd ceramic heater right at that hole. You can see some of the plumbing there that runs rearward to the kitten sink, washer/dryer connections, and the water heater. The plumbing for the bathroom sink & shower are located just above and to the right of that opening... and of course, the plumbing to/from the wet bay runs directly towards the other side of the rig.

Placing the heater right there keeps virtually all of the area where my plumbing resides nice & toasty... and, has the added effect of providing ambient heating to my bathroom flooring, which is a very nice feature! Additionally, the black is located almost directly under that area... and I'm sure it benefits from the warm air created in the basement.

So far, this has worked for me over 4 years now... again, with temps down into the 20s. Anything lower for a sustained amount of time would, I'm sure, require further actions.

Anyway... hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelonis.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	4633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirit Heated hose.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	4634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage_3200_Floorplan.jpg