Voltage Cable TV Hookup - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Maine
Question Voltage Cable TV Hookup

Morning my Dutch friends,

I am at my first campground with cable TV hookups and have discovered one of a few things:
  1. The campground signal is weak for the amount of splitters used to distribute TV in the camper
  2. There is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring of the camper
  3. I am doing something wrong?

Wifey is excited to finally be somewhere with free TV and is a bit disappointed to have it not work (signal is all snow with some audio). I am using the cable TV input in the wetbox, and have plugged the cable in directly to a TV to make sure that there actually is a signal (and it worked fine).

Any ideas?

boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
Make sure the power is turned off for the antenna amplifier. I've done it enough times so first thing I check now when the cable wont work...

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Maine
I should have mentioned that. Yes it is off. With 4 different jacks/TVs is it just being split to much? Has anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Yep, the TV in the garage has the most problem for us and it's the best tv of the bunch. When I get an ambitious streak, I need to fix the mess they installed. I think they have three splitters where one properly sized device will do. Thankfully I can pull out the fireplace to get easy access to the mess.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Nevada
boostme, sounds like you already bypassed the wetbox and checked each TV and it works, You didn't mention which RV you have, but if your main TV backs up to the same wall as the main Bathroom, you can remove the bathroom cabinet, around 6 screws, Behind there you will see the Splinters, make sure all the connections are tight. You can also check from the wetbox to the Splinter
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #6

Arizona
I find that many times the park's cable in-line connection is weathered and defective. I've taken one of my in-line connectors and replaced theirs and the signal improves a bunch.

My trailer has 4 tv's and only two spiltters, which were cable grade. I doubt you have more than that. I went to satellite and upgraded them to a higher frequency splitters.

One problem that pops up with cable is the connections loosen up over time. Take a wrench to them and ensure the connections are tight.

What is the INPUT setting on your tv's? It should be set to Cable. Did you do a channel autoscan?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

Maine
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The camper is a 3970, and yes I am using auto scan. The TVs detect the channels, they are just all snowy with little to no usable picture. This seems like a definite low signal issue. As it's every TV with the problem I'll chase down each connection between the wetbox and the first splitter for anything loose.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #8

Nevada
boost, I just looked at your layout, Your going to have a hard time getting to the wires behind the walls, the splinter is close to where the Amplifier is located, you may be able to get at the wires from the pass thru storage area, by removing the wall behind the fireplace, some have removed the fireplace? but I would try that first, after removing that wall, you should be close to the wetbox area also...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

Ontario
Snowy picture sounds like you're only picking up analog channels.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

Maine
This campground is analog only.

I have solved the problem. I pulled the basement wall and fireplace out, followed the wire up to where the antenna booster is, and was able to find the splitter. Sure enough, it was a loose connection between the splitter input and the antenna booster.

Thanks for the help guys! On a side note, I replaced the splitter with a 4 way booster to improve things a bit more.

P.S. I am glad I didn't push this off as I found out that my tub drain has been leaking when I pulled the fireplace. Go Dutchman! I definitely think I either got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon unit at this point...

Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
boost, I just looked at your layout, Your going to have a hard time getting to the wires behind the walls, the splinter is close to where the Amplifier is located, you may be able to get at the wires from the pass thru storage area, by removing the wall behind the fireplace, some have removed the fireplace? but I would try that first, after removing that wall, you should be close to the wetbox area also...
Yep, in ours, to access by removing the wall inside the storage area, I would need to get past well over two feet of wiring, plumbing, duct work and flimsy framing to even get close to them. The fireplace comes out with two screws and they are right there. It's the only easy way to get to them for our floor plan, it's a real mess under there.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Where are you getting a layout that tells you where everything is behind the walls? I would love one for my 2011 Denal1 262 RLX.

and what is a wetbox area?

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #13

I found out after purchasing my Voltage every connection,,,every one was crap.. they looked like a 10 year old made all the connections.. I remade every one and all my TV's are just fine. I suggest you do the same and it will probably solve all your issues.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostme View Post
P.S. I am glad I didn't push this off as I found out that my tub drain has been leaking when I pulled the fireplace. Go Dutchman! I definitely think I either got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon unit at this point...

I think most of them were built on a Monday or Friday...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I think most of them were built on a Monday or Friday...

Aaron
X 100!!!!

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #16

Nebraska
I also had every RG-6 connector fall off in my hands. It's a good thing I have the tools to replace them. It's too bad because they used good connectors just didn't compress them properly.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #17

Washington
Voltage 3305 Cabling

Yesterday I wanted to watch one of the Sweet 16 matches on the outdoor TV. I have not tried running antything through it yet through the trailer internal wiring. I checked the connection from the dual coax panel to the TV. All good. Ran the cable Auto Scan and got nothing. So I switched the cable from the TV to the other coax connection on the panel. Again, nothing.

Next I replugged the known good cable source from the SAT/CABLE connection in the wet bay directly into the SAT IN port for the OUTSIDE TV. Back to the outdoor TV panel, checking both cable connections. Still nothing. So I plugged the source into ALL the different wet bay connections one by one thinking maybe something was mis-wired. Nada. Zilch. Nuthin!

Can anyone tell me - or show me with a diagram - how this trailer is wired?? There are 2x coax connections at every TV, so is one a homerun from the SAT IN in the wet bay to each location and the other a splitter output of the SAT/CABLE input in the wet bay? What about the OTA antenna signal and amp? Does that only go to the living room TV??

I'd really love to know how, with all this wiring in here, what's hooked to what!
The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #18

from the wet bay there should be one cable connection..marked cable/sat. that goes directly the the top jumper of the duel connector next to the ota amp next to it.
If you plug in at the cable/sat connector it should feed everything in your RV. Turn off the amp when using sat or cable. If still nothing make sure that 4 inch jumper is connected to both connectors. If you still have nothing after auto scanning and changing your TV's from air to cable (and this has to be done on each tv in order to work on that tv) then recheck your source. If your source is verified as good then possibly you have a bad amp which has a pass through when off or a bad connection/splitter. If I can find the schematic for it i will post it..its pretty simple though.. the one I have is for a 3200 but im sure its close.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #19

for the Crams..... I hope this helps you..
Again for a V3200 but the concept is the same.

hopefully it attached..its a pdf file..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Voltage Satelite Cable Wiring.pdf (106.2 KB, 152 views)