Voltage A/C works great! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #1

Arizona
Voltage A/C works great!

After doing all the re-taping on my A/C system that we discussed here, I had a chance to really check things out in high temps while lake camping over Memorial weekend in AZ. Bottom line is the re-tapping was a success. The highest outside temp we had was 95* but our interior temp never went above 77* in the living room/kitchen area. Bedroom felt much colder and the garage was comfortable as well. Thanks to all who figured out how to fix our A/C system.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #2

Colorado
I've taken my notes, but a quick recap of your steps would be great... pick my unit up next week.

splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #3

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
I've taken my notes, but a quick recap of your steps would be great... pick my unit up next week.
This thread is full of information you want.
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...rking-704.html

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #4

Arizona
The A/C system is where lousy workmanship is most evident on my Voltage. You'll quickly see out sloppy the job is done at the factory with no obvious signs of any quality control. Get some quality metal tape available at most any hardware store. The stuff Voltage uses seems thin and flimsy.

In a nutshell, you remove the center A/C on the roof and re-tape the box to prevent cold air leaking into the ceiling before it reaches the ducts. Re-tape the area around the two duct entrances. It's not hard just time consuming.

Remove the bottom duct of the bedroom A/C and re-tape the ducts and anywhere else cold air might leak out prior to reaching the ducts.

Garage A/C seems to be OK.

Next pull all the ceiling vents, remove the tape and re-tape to prevent cold air leaking into the ceiling.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #5

Arizona
We just got back from three days at Roosevelt Lake northeast of Phoenix. The daytime temps hit 100* but the inside temp was a very comfortable 77*. This is exactly what I was hoping for with my 3600 (my last trailer never got below mid-80's).
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Remove the bottom duct of the bedroom A/C and re-tape the ducts and anywhere else cold air might leak out prior to reaching the ducts.

I noticed a few months back that cold air from zone 1 A/C was coming out of the cold air discharge register on the zone 2 A/C. At the time I thought that to be OK, a little help to cool the bedroom while the livingroom was being cooled. At the same time zone 2 cold air was being lost in the livingroom.

Then it kind of hit me, the zone 1 A/C does an adequate job of cooling but why take cold air from the livingroom when the bedroom has its own A/C. So, I taped the ducts from zone 1 A/C to zone 2 A/C shut. My premise was that I spend more time in the livingroom than I do the bedroom so why not use all the cold air there. The bedroom can be cooled with the small A/C and not take away from the main A/C.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #7

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post

I noticed a few months back that cold air from zone 1 A/C was coming out of the cold air discharge register on the zone 2 A/C. At the time I thought that to be OK, a little help to cool the bedroom while the livingroom was being cooled. At the same time zone 2 cold air was being lost in the livingroom.

Then it kind of hit me, the zone 1 A/C does an adequate job of cooling but why take cold air from the livingroom when the bedroom has its own A/C. So, I taped the ducts from zone 1 A/C to zone 2 A/C shut. My premise was that I spend more time in the livingroom than I do the bedroom so why not use all the cold air there. The bedroom can be cooled with the small A/C and not take away from the main A/C.
Did you get any pictures?

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Nope, no photos. It was pretty much a fireman proof job, nothing serious.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote