Voltage 4145 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 10:42 PM   #1

California
Voltage 4145

We are getting very close to ordering a voltage 4145. We would love to hear from anyone with thoughts, both good and bad before we actually pull the trigger.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

RvHockeyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:27 AM   #2

Florida
We like ours First thing was getting low profile ACs (We camp in wooded areas) before picking up unit. we have had a leak hear and there to fix like ramp door seal. the onan generator warranty is from ship date not purchase of unit date carb is not covered under warranty (yes it’s rebiuldable) Upgraded to load range g tires. get everything fixed to your satisfaction before you pick it up make sure roof has been maintained yup even though it’s new. Warranty time is running while unit is waiting to be fixed after purchase. The wife and I went a few weeks ago to look at new ones and liked some of the things they updated such as windows tires and seals and such.ours works good for us we can get three 500 c.c fourwheelrs or golfcart Depending where we go. All our best FLA

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
RDJ

Washington
Comment on the G Rated tires, your new trailer may come with them as ours did, the factory installed the Westlake 14 ply and after doing some research and past experience with them, we changed them out to the Sailun G rated, approx. 15k miles on them so far with no issues and the trailer loaded to gross weight of around 20K, just my 2 cents worth...........Happy Camping
Old 08-01-2020, 05:04 AM   #4

California
Thank you so much for the info.

It is odd that the 4145 comes with f rated tires. The other toy haulers in the same price range seem to come with g rated tires. I am hoping that if I order the trailer they can make that change.

I did not know that there were low profile ac units, so I will have to do some research on that.

Again, thank you for the info.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

California
I think F rated tires are very uncommon. They tend to be either E or G. I also think Voltage might be going with G rated exclusively now as my brother in law just purchased a 3 axle Voltage (not sure which model) and it has G rated. My 3305 which is a two axle came with E rated Westlake’s and I replaced with Goodyear Endurance, which are actually American tires made in America unlike the Goodyear Marathon which is not made in America.

I like the Endurance’s because they have a 3,640 pound weight rating and an N speed rating which is good for 80 mph. And you can do all this at 80 psi cold which is easier to deal with than 100 psi or more. And while I don’t tow at 80 I do exceed 70 on some rural roads in Nevada and Idaho where the speed limit can actually be 80 and if not traveling north of 70 can get you lots of dirty looks and aggressive passing.

On another note I would pop the top outside vent on the fridge in the slide out and make sure it was installed with no more than 1/4 inch or so of gap above it because that becomes a pocket for the hot air to stay and work against the cooling of the fridge.

And double check the fuel gauges inside the trailer and at the fuel pump as they have had plenty of non working gauges go out the door in the past because of bad wiring/installation which I imagine has been addressed by now but wasn’t a few years ago.

Oh, and check air flow out of all vents as some have had poorly sealed and even not connected ducts which could be either easy or hard to fix depending on where the manufacturer screwed up when building.

The vast majority of things in these trailers work well but still plenty of problems to be had so be overly thorough in your PDI inspection. Note and learn all black and gray valve tank handles and locations and make sure they all work too. You would be surprised how many buyers don’t know where a valve handle is located or a discharge connection is. They vary on different units and not always easy to find.

Oh, and also make sure when adjusting your hitch and pin that the trailer is not the slightest bit nose high or you will drag the back of your trailer and bend and break the back end on driveways and dips. The dealers love to get you out the door fast and get you on your way but take your time and get everything dialed in. You don’t want to bring your 40 foot trailer in for silly warranty work if you can avoid it. In my case it is at least half a day to drop it and another half to pick it up—and rarely do they fix everything correctly so one trip becomes two and it can spend days and weeks waiting on parts and repairs at the dealer and that assumes they have time to let you bring it in.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #6

California
Thank you so much for this great info.

This below line is taken from the description of the Voltage Exterior Package

7,040-lb. Load Range F-Rated Tires Per Axle

Hopefully they have changed over to G-Rated.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

Florida
For many years of worry free RV'ing, change the tires. Also, we have checklists on here that really help with PRE-DELIVERY stuff. Once you have paid, you wait (and wait) for service. Don't accept delivery (or promises) until you get what you want.

Just my .02

Frank

PS: Almost forgot, make sure you change the valve stems to the metal high pressure ones!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #8

California
Good luck make sure you purchase an good extended warranty. Your going to need it! 6985e9
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcvey View Post
Good luck make sure you purchase an good extended warranty. Your going to need it! 6985e9
Why do you say that? Is there something you can share?
Old 08-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #10

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvHockeyFam View Post
We are getting very close to ordering a voltage 4145. We would love to hear from anyone with thoughts, both good and bad before we actually pull the trigger.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.
We bought Voltage 4115 just over a year ago. Though I do like the RV's floor plan and design the craftsmanship from the factory is nothing less than putrid. Every time I move it I find screws, nuts, molding and other items all over the floors. I am a QC engineer by trade and the amount of improper hardware used is astounding to me. The after the sale support by any dealer I have dealt with so far is a joke. They really need a lot of work in the QC department. Not sure how those without skills would mange the limited warranties by vendors. I see nothing good coming out of Indiana these days.
Kits4115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #11

Arizona
My Voltage maxes out at 19,000 pounds. I only use E-rated Michelin truck tires with great success. I don't care what load rating you use, if it comes from China expect it to fail.

Most all trailers are built with no quality control. You'll find that out soon enuf.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #12

California
Unfortunately I don't have enough time to go over the failures of my trailer. I purchased a new 2016 3950 40' voltage. If you see my past blogs and blogs by other owners, it will help you understand the lack of quality. I still have my unit. After two years of warranty work, frame and suspension improvements, including $6,000 out of pocket expense for non covered repairs I was forced to keep it. I was sold on the floor plan of Voltages, unfortunately I didn't do my homework on quality. Shame on me.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #13

New Mexico
My son was building horse trailers for a while in Florida, even they had a QC dept.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #14

New Mexico
I see you have the same issues as many Dutchman owners I have spoken with.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #15

Florida
QC guy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main-qimg-b8d7107c60b834d1a0ce11ed4bb3e089.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	6420  

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote